Kelo vs. Dish Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelo vs. Dish Network

As you may have heard or read recently Dish dropped Kelo from their local offerings. It pissed me off, but I decided to get an antennae and see if I could pick up KELO so I could at least get enough of a picture for football games and a few shows my wife likes. After a bit of hooking, unhooking, re-hooking lo and behold if I didn't get KELO through the air. Not only that, but I get KDLT, Utv, KSFY, and a couple of PBS stations...all in HD. Maybe everybody else knew you could this, I had no idea. I'm pumped!
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Re: Kelo vs. Dish Network

KELO is back on Dish this afternoon. Funny how, when these big corporations start fighting over money, the rest of us get screwed.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't have dish so don't know how it works. Does KELO have to pay to be on the dish network? or does dish pay them?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
        I don't have dish so don't know how it works. Does KELO have to pay to be on the dish network? or does dish pay them?
        Dish pays them. KELO (Young Broadcasting) was asking for something like $4 per subscriber per year. Don't know what they were getting before. Young was able to reach an agreement quickly with DirectTV, which makes me wonder why Dish couldn't agree with them.

In any case, I don't like becoming a pawn in some big money game by media companies that, while they're not making the kinds of profit margins they're used to, are still raking in gobs of money.

I'd like to corner a Dish executive and ask them how this sort of maneuver is supposed to make me a loyal customer.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Dish pays them. KELO (Young Broadcasting) was asking for something like $4 per subscriber per year. Don't know what they were getting before. Young was able to reach an agreement quickly with DirectTV, which makes me wonder why Dish couldn't agree with them.

In any case, I don't like becoming a pawn in some big money game by media companies that, while they're not making the kinds of profit margins they're used to, are still raking in gobs of money.

I'd like to corner a Dish executive and ask them how this sort of maneuver is supposed to make me a loyal customer.
          Thanks

Comment

I have dish network and they charge $5.00 for the local networks so if Kelo is asking for $4.00 then things aren't right with something.
            Don't forget in Feb to buy your little conversion box or you wont get them then. Also, if you live farther than 30 miles from the tower you better get a power antenna to go with the digital converter box.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              As you may have heard or read recently Dish dropped Kelo from their local offerings. It pissed me off, but I decided to get an antennae and see if I could pick up KELO so I could at least get enough of a picture for football games and a few shows my wife likes. After a bit of hooking, unhooking, re-hooking lo and behold if I didn't get KELO through the air. Not only that, but I get KDLT, Utv, KSFY, and a couple of PBS stations...all in HD. Maybe everybody else knew you could this, I had no idea. I'm pumped!
              If you have a reasonably new HD set it should have an automatic tuner that can receive over the air transmissions via any antenna. That will give you access to any over the air HD channels available in your area. I bought an indoor electrical antenna and connected to my LG LCD HDTV and I get the Sioux Falls and Sioux City networks via HDTV, PBS, several other networks and once and a awhile my tuner descrambles other stations that I'm not suppose to be getting. You can go online and find other devices that will descramble all of those stations but thats not legal and you didn't hear it from me.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Once the conversion to digital happens, will those HD signals still be in the air?
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Yes, that is the whole point. The anolog signals will be the ones going away.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    I have dish network and they charge $5.00 for the local networks so if Kelo is asking for $4.00 then things aren't right with something.
                    Don't forget in Feb to buy your little conversion box or you wont get them then. Also, if you live farther than 30 miles from the tower you better get a power antenna to go with the digital converter box.
                    KELO is asking for $4 a year. You're paying $5 a month. That's $60.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      KELO is asking for $4 a year. You're paying $5 a month. That's $60.
                      HA! I didn't catch that either. Did you get a math degree to go along with the journalism degree because I obviously didn't. Oh liberal arts degree you let me down on this one.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                      X