Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Something Goon said in another post gave me an idea:

If USD and SDSU play again, the game should be played in Sioux Falls at Howard Wood Field. Hear me out on this.

Assuming with extra temporary seating HW can hold 14,000, give each school an allotment of 7000 tickets to the game. 1000 of those go to students via lottery, so that leaves SDSU with 6000 tickets to sell. Only season ticketholders ($100 for the season) are guaranteed a seat at the game. If you want to buy single seat tickets, they go on sale August 15 and are $50 apiece. Each school is responsible for selling their allotment of tickets.

If SDSU can sell 1500 season tickets now (I think) they should be able to sell another 2000-3000 with the incentive that half of your ticket price is going to the biggest rivalry game of the year and buying a season ticket is the only way to guarantee a seat. That’s an additional $300,000 in revenue plus additional attendance/hype for all the other home games. Single game tickets should generate another $150,000.

Sell 300 tailgating spots, 150 for each school at $300 each.

Sell 30 vendor spots at $1000 each to sell food and merchandise $15000 to each school.

Each school gets equal advertising time to sell to generate ad revenue, which could be another $50,000.

Charge $5 to get into the tailgate area if you don’t have a game ticket, split this evenly between the two schools for $50,000 each.

Have a jumbotron set up in Canaries Stadium and show the live TV feed. Get in free if you paid to tailgate with concessions (including alcohol) split between the two schools for $15,000 each.

That’s $595,000 for each school, a pretty nice payday.

Give Stu a halftime award so he doesn’t poo-poo the idea.

Create a trophy for the winning team.

I realize this probably couldn't happen for a couple years, with scheduling and all, but I think this setup would keep many of the positives of the old rivalry, eliminate many of the negatives, and establish a FBS type payday for both schools. Maybe schedule the game every other year so the hype stays big.

Thoughts?
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Or they can just play the game at CAS.... have 15,000 there which 12,000+ would be Jacks fans.... and all/most of the revenue goes to SDSU....

Comment

I like this idea. Even with the increase in ticket price keeping it every other year many people could work it into the budget.

Comment

Please dont't give me any credit for your idea, you came up with it all on your own, and apparently put a lot of thought into it. Plus it would only be the second biggest rivalry behind the NDSU game. Im not a bettin man but if i were and we played both USD and NDSU at home next year, I would guess and bet on the NDSU game having the bigger crowd.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

"Give Stu a halftime award so he doesn’t poo-poo the idea."

THAT's funny.

Comment

If SDSU was too move a game to Sioux Falls (which I totally disagree with) I would move a lower attendance game there..... USD comes to Brookings and there will be around 15,000 people there....

Comment

Its a very well thought out plan, but there is no way we play USD in SF right away. The first time will be CAS. I would be upset if it wasn't. As for all this Sioux Falls stuff and moving games, I do agree with joeboo on this.

As far as basketball, have the powers that be in SF considered a bigger early season bball tourney or something? I think its been done in the past. That way SDSU plays in SF making some people happy and gets exposure this way too. KU did it this year in KC, but it isn't like KU needs the exposure in KC either, just a comparison.

After things get back to near equal footing (USD is not our equal) in football in the future, then consider a neutral sight (For an example KU-MU at Arrowhead - it makes a ton of money for both schools) but not until then. That is a long way into the future.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Please dont't give me any credit for your idea, you came up with it all on your own, and apparently put a lot of thought into it. Plus it would only be the second biggest rivalry behind the NDSU game. Im not a bettin man but if i were and we played both USD and NDSU at home next year, I would guess and bet on the NDSU game having the bigger crowd.
                Not a Chance! The NDSU game falls on Pheasant Opener! Seriously, the USD game would be the largest, hands done, can not even debate this!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  If SDSU was too move a game to Sioux Falls (which I totally disagree with) I would move a lower attendance game there..... USD comes to Brookings and there will be around 15,000 people there....
                  The place would be packed, You could play it in the Badlands, haul in turf, and no bleachers and it would be packed!

Comment

Man youre all dreamers...I wish I had this much time on my hands to try and bring back a $hitty rivalry anyway. And Tats...the NDSU game is on pheasant opener this year, the game will never happen this year.

Comment

I appreciate all your thoughts on this idea, but I still have two things against it. Don't want to play it in SF, let's use our own facility and secondly, I never want to play Udot in anything, ever again...

Comment

I think you're giving each fan base WAY to much credit for their desire to see the game, and also leaving out some factors. It's hard enough getting the average fan to pay $15 for a ticket to the game, let alone $50 for a ticket. Ditto on generating more season ticket holders just by adding this game. For BB, the incentive for buying season tickets was to guarantee a seat for the USD game and post season...didn't matter as the ticket base capped out. You'd see the same thing with this scenario. $300 for a tailgating spot for one game...don't think that will happen either. Also, who pays the expenses for the game? The field isn't free to use, officials, staffing the event, transportation, etc. Oh, and you have to assume anyone from USD would give a crap to attend either.

It's a grand idea, but too idealistic from my standpoint.

There's so much malaise in each fan base that at best a game in Sioux Falls would draw 8,000 people paying $10-15 a head to get in. Any expenses beyond that and people will stay home.

One also has to keep in mind that SDSU and USD's students have no clue what the "rivalry" should be like...SDSU's students are used to NDSU being the big game. It would take a number of years of playing the U to generate the type of rivalry that some wish would come back and to also have any luster about it. Used to be that both teams were just good enough that the game meant something beyond beating the other. Now, with NDSU, both fan bases know that it will be a close game, well played, and has some meaning behind it. USD...long way from any FCS game meaning as much as what SDSU & NDSU will play for in the years to come.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

50 bucks a ticket? What the hell are you smoking?
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            50 bucks a ticket? What the hell are you smoking?
                            Edit: Then buy season tickets for $100. I think your reaction is the same as a lot of people, but in the end a lot of people would say "crap, I guess I'll buy season tickets cause I really want to go to the game, and I like going to the Beef Bowl, Hobo Day, and NDSU game anyway. I've heard multiple people ask the same question regarding an $18 single game men's basketball ticket, but we still manage to draw over 2000 people a game...--End of Edit

The point of having this single game ticket $50 is to give incentive people to buy season tickets. I actually considered $100 for a single ticket to this game to encourage more people to buy season tickets, or the only way you get into the game is to buy season tickets or be a lottery winning student.

If only 6000 paying fans from each school could get a ticket to what would be one of the most hyped and talked about football games in the history of the state, I don't think $50 is that much.

I paid $90 dollars for the Summit League tournament pass without any guarantee that an SDSU team would even play... The women should, the men might, but $50 doesn't seem like a whole lot when season tickets are only $100, and there are a whole lot of folks who would want to see this game.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm a season ticket holder and I will never attend a regular season SDSU football game in Sioux Falls. Our home is CAS. Period.

Comment

Working...
                              X