New recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New recruits

Did a little surfing and found that we have two early signees for next season. I have to say that Liles has picked it up with these last two recruiting classes, and the most recent is nowhere near complete.

The first paste is from a synopsis - didn't want to buy the archived article. Here is the link for those that may:
    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...&p_text_date-0=

Seymour High School senior Seth Moe has signed a national letter of intent to wrestle at Division I South Dakota State next year. He plans to pursue a career in pharmacy. Moe is a three-time WIAA state qualifier. He finished third at state in Division 2 last year at 135 pounds. His record was 44-2.

Here is a cut and paste of the first portion of the article for the second signee; full article here: http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/...a844774382.txt:

Tomahawk’s Hagar chooses South Dakota State

After winning three state wrestling titles, Tomahawk’s Nick Hagar had colleges lining up and wanting him to attend their school.

Hagar –– a senior who just began his final year of high school wrestling –– considered committing to top Division I colleges Northwestern, Penn State, Missouri, Central Michigan and Michigan State. However, every one of those programs didn’t offer Hagar a scholarship. Along came former Division II powerhouse South Dakota State University (SDSU), which just this year earned Division I status, and offered Hagar a full-ride, four-year scholarship.

After a trip to the Brookings, S.D. campus on Nov. 2, Hagar decided this past Monday night that being a Jackrabbit was his next move.

“After talking to a lot of colleges and unofficially visiting like Northern Illinois and a couple other colleges, I kind of came to the realization that if you’re going to go to a really nice D-I school, say Northwestern, they just can’t give you a full ride,” Hagar said. “They’ve got 30 kids on their team with nine scholarships to hand out. To get a full ride is practically unheard of in the sport of wrestling in college. … When I got the full ride offer it automatically made me think, ‘Alright, this is probably the place I want to go.’”

In addition to a good wrestling program, Hagar sought a college with a pre-medicine or pre-dental program and a strong science department –– SDSU offered both. He also looked for a school where he could fit in nicely.

“I wanted to feel comfortable, and I felt great at South Dakota State,” Hagar said.

I have to say that I am impressed with these two signings. First off, two studs out of Wisconsin, both with impressive wrestling credentials. Secondly, and really more importantly, they appear to be outstanding students looking to challenge themselves in demanding fields. I think you can make a correlation to our improvement in athletics to the impressive number of all academic accolades our teams receive - often leading the conference (or nation) in honorees.

Welcome to State young men, you both made the right choice.
Working...
X