Jared Vlastuin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared Vlastuin

The track team is at there first meet this year in Mankato and Jared has already broke the indoor school record for the long jump. He has jumped 24'2" going into finals only trailing former Lennox grad Derek Gearman who went to U of M.

Re: Jared Vlastuin

thanks for the update! are you at the meet? i'm trying to find any updates.

Comment

no, gettin updates from someone that went though

Comment

ya my brother is running a couple events including the 60 meter hurdels. I have no idea when he runs though.

Comment

I believe Vlastuin's 24 foot, 2 inch long jump is a new school record. Very few jumpers -- anywhere -- go more than 24 feet. That's a national-class jump and, knowing it's in the first meet of the year, it is an indicator of bigger things to come.

More perspective: SDSU had the two best long jumpers in the Summit League last season. They both return for this year. Vlastuin wasn't on the team last year. A 1-2-3 sweep in the long jump? That's possible.

Wow.

Added later: old indoor school record was 23 feet, 11.5 inches.

Comment

I took an indepth look at the results at the results from this preseason meet and compared them to the results from the Summit League indoor championships from last year. Athletes who had marks that would have placed them in the top 8 at last years conference and what they would have placed:

Men:
            Fr- Jared Vlastuin - 1st - long jump, 6th high jump
            Ben Jasinksi - 1st - long jump, 1st triple jump (by 3 feet)
            Cameron Johnson - 2nd - long jump
            Sean Burns - 8th - weight throw
            Sam McInerney - 5th - shot put
            Calvin Cammack - 7th - Pole Vault
            Camden Helder - 4th - high jump
            Nick Schanaman - 2nd - 60m hurdles
            Brandon Priebe - 3rd - 60m hurdles
            Andrew Duitsman - 7th - 60m hurdles
            Fr- Luke Leischner - 7th - 200
            Cole Tucker - 7th- 200

Women:
            Sara Ackman - 7th - weight throw, 2nd shot put
            Fr Brooke Garner - 5th - shot put
            Christa Landmark - 6th
            Tamiko Kopfman - 1st - long jump, 5th triple jump
            Lora Shearer - 5th - long jump, 5th triple jump
            Rachael Hakk - 6th - long jump, 6th high jump
            Brittany Garner - 4th - pole vault, 6th 60m dash
            Kristi Mortenson - 6th - pole vault
            Ashlet Lange - 5th - triple jump
            Heather Wolman - 2nd - 200
            Stacy Huss - 5th - 800

A very good list of accomplishments coming from a PRESEASON meet. I am optimistic that this years track teams will be very solid, both women AND men for a change. The men brought in a pretty decent freshman class (Jared Vlastuin in particular) and a big transfer from Colorado State in Cole Tucker. I was surprised to see so many good marks on the men's side. Six men's performances would have placed top 3 at last years indoor meet. The teams look to be especially strong in the jumping events and throws. It will be interesting to see how the athletes in the throwing events adapt to having a new coach. This being a preseason meet, I see that SDSU had nobody competing in the distance events with the exception of Stacy Huss in the 800. Also note that I included results of SDSU athletes who competed unattached meaning that they may redshirt during the indoor season. I am very excited for this track season and I eagerly await the start of the regular season in January. GO JACKS!

Comment

Good post...rep points for you! Appreciated seeing how our two teams measured up against the league...you did a thorough job. Keep posting...I'm interested in track information (and welcome to the board!!!)

Comment

ya good post! I too am pumped for the teams this year and think SDSU will really kick some butt this year.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

More perspective: SDSU had the two best long jumpers in the Summit League last season. They both return for this year. Vlastuin wasn't on the team last year. A 1-2-3 sweep in the long jump? That's possible.
                  When you say the two best long jumpers in the Summit League last season I assume you mean Cameron Johnson and Corey Beffert. Take those two, and then see that Ben Jasinski and Jared Vlastuin topped the previous two easily and then add a 4 to a potential 1-2-3 sweep. Wishful thinking. The only problem with that is that you may be putting too many eggs in one basket; look for DeHaven to possibly spread those 4 out over the other jumping events.

On another note about possible sweeps: Men's hurdles. Last year Nick Schanaman, Andrew Duitsman, and Brandon Priebe went 2-3-4 in the 110hurdles outdoors last year and all 3 return this year. Schanaman and Priebe ran times Sat. that none of those 3 touched until late in the indoor season last year. Assuming that they have not already peaked, watch for some blazing fast hurdle times to come from that trio. GO JACKS!

Comment

Working...
                  X