Coach Stig in Yankton Today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Stig in Yankton Today.

Coach Stig spoke to nearly 100 people (maybe more) at the QB club in Yankton today. Much better attended meeting than most weeks due to increased interest on the part of SDSU fans.

Stig had a lot to say and I will post more of the details later. I did ask him about the QB situation and he says Crawford is not likely to be able to play QB again. Doctors said about a 20% chance he will recover enough function to throw a FB with the necessary skill needed to be a QB.

So, we only have one QB on the roster and he is a RSFr. They are actively pursuing a JUCO QB (no specifics) and would take a FBS transfer if one comes available (no specifics). Again, I will post more later.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Coach Stig in Yankton Today.

Wow, now that is big news! I would think this would be an attractive situation for a Juco or FBS transfer. I feel bad for Crawford going into his senior season and most likely not being able to play.

Comment

That is really dissapointing news for Ryan. He's a good kid who has stuck to it and was finally going to get his chance. I guess if you're going to go out you just as well go out like he did, taking down the Bison for the first time in 40 years.

Anyone still have that kid from Iowa State's phone number?
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        That is really dissapointing news for Ryan. He's a good kid who has stuck to it and was finally going to get his chance. I guess if you're going to go out you just as well go out like he did, taking down the Bison for the first time in 40 years.

Anyone still have that kid from Iowa State's phone number?
        just what i was thinking though about Ryan, His game against NDSU might not show a lot of big numbers even though berry got the points on the board it was essentially Ryan who won that game for us the way i see it. He was a big part of the win this year at NDSU and its disapointing to hear but he did a lot ot help that win. Hopefully his hand gets better then they think. I for one was picking him to replace Berry, Could be interesting to see what happens. Maybe if no transfers Jeske could move back over to QB. Maybe have a 2 qb system with Jeske as the mobile one and Obrien with the arm. I dont see us struggling to find a QB though from either transfer or in the system already, just maybe taking the reignes a little early.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance on this, but certain things I just haven't paid that much attention to. What was Crawford's injury?
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            Excuse my ignorance on this, but certain things I just haven't paid that much attention to. What was Crawford's injury?
            Wrist fracture suffered in the NDSU game. Its actually a fracture of the scaphoid bone which is one of carpal bones in the wrist. Apparently injured the ligaments severely and that is expected to complicate recovery.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Other comments from Stig.

Started off by saying that despite a 7-5 record, 6-2 in the MVFC and our ranking he and the players (the guys he cares about) were disappointed in the end result this season. They had the playoffs within reach and they blew it. No pats on the back, no talk about the NDSU win, we should have been in the playoffs. The goal is to win every game, not to play well but lose.

Talked about the Iowa State game and how unhappy he was with Ryan Berry. He wanted to yank him out right there but he of course knew better. Ryan kept telling him it would be alright and Stig said its not alright, stop throwing it to the wrong guys!!!

SFA comeback is one he will never forget and he thinks it will stay with the program for a long time. They will always know the game isn't over until its over. Felt bad for the SFA players and coach.

He said we had the McNeese game won, never should have lost. Nothing else to say about that, you can't get it back.

Said we didn't show up for the Cal-Poly game, embarrassing to say the least.

SIU game just plain old disappointment. They all felt they were going to win that game, the game in Fargo and go to the playoffs. When Berry threw the pick all of that was gone, gone.

NDSU game, he told the whole team they would go for 2 before the drive even started. Didn't want to risk OT in that environment. Wants to see CAS like it was early in the year and like the Fargodome was late in the year all the time. He doesn't care about the snow or ice, no excuses get you butts to the game!!!

What about USD? No comment, not for him to decide. If you aren't coming to see the top 5 teams in the nation play at CAS then don't ask about playing USD. Cal-Poly, McNeese, Georgia Southern, etc... those are quality programs and you'll see great football. We won't be playing USD for awhile lets leave it at that.

Recruiting: Going well. Only one commitment so far, 5 offers out there. Most guys waiting to see what FBS schools offer, never a problem in previous years. Hitting Florida harder this year. Recuiting Upper Midwest, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Missouri. Visited with Erv A. while he was down here.

There is going to be some coaching turnover, not specific about who. I have a feeling its going to be a bigger name. Would like more money for his 6 assistant coaches and 4 other assistants (we only have 2 of the 4 right now). SDSU is hiring an Academic Coordinator next year, new position.

Dykhouse center on schedule but over budget. Had to remove carpet, tile, many other amenities. Stig said they are basically building a "quonset". He figured Fred might kill him for telling us that.

Told a great story about Pete Reifenrath and Ryan Berry. You can tell Stig loves those guys. He does a great job speaking at events like this. Can't wait tell him comes back down in the spring for the golf event.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Other comments from Stig.

Started off by saying that despite a 7-5 record, 6-2 in the MVFC and our ranking he and the players (the guys he cares about) were disappointed in the end result this season. They had the playoffs within reach and they blew it. No pats on the back, no talk about the NDSU win, we should have been in the playoffs. The goal is to win every game, not to play well but lose.

Talked about the Iowa State game and how unhappy he was with Ryan Berry. He wanted to yank him out right there but he of course knew better. Ryan kept telling him it would be alright and Stig said its not alright, stop throwing it to the wrong guys!!!

SFA comeback is one he will never forget and he thinks it will stay with the program for a long time. They will always know the game isn't over until its over. Felt bad for the SFA players and coach.

He said we had the McNeese game won, never should have lost. Nothing else to say about that, you can't get it back.

Said we didn't show up for the Cal-Poly game, embarrassing to say the least.

SIU game just plain old disappointment. They all felt they were going to win that game, the game in Fargo and go to the playoffs. When Berry threw the pick all of that was gone, gone.

NDSU game, he told the whole team they would go for 2 before the drive even started. Didn't want to risk OT in that environment. Wants to see CAS like it was early in the year and like the Fargodome was late in the year all the time. He doesn't care about the snow or ice, no excuses get you butts to the game!!!

What about USD? No comment, not for him to decide. If you aren't coming to see the top 5 teams in the nation play at CAS then don't ask about playing USD. Cal-Poly, McNeese, Georgia Southern, etc... those are quality programs and you'll see great football. We won't be playing USD for awhile lets leave it at that.

Recruiting: Going well. Only one commitment so far, 5 offers out there. Most guys waiting to see what FBS schools offer, never a problem in previous years. Hitting Florida harder this year. Recuiting Upper Midwest, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Missouri. Visited with Erv A. while he was down here.

There is going to be some coaching turnover, not specific about who. I have a feeling its going to be a bigger name. Would like more money for his 6 assistant coaches and 4 other assistants (we only have 2 of the 4 right now). SDSU is hiring an Academic Coordinator next year, new position.

Dykhouse center on schedule but over budget. Had to remove carpet, tile, many other amenities. Stig said they are basically building a "quonset". He figured Fred might kill him for telling us that.

Told a great story about Pete Reifenrath and Ryan Berry. You can tell Stig loves those guys. He does a great job speaking at events like this. Can't wait tell him comes back down in the spring for the golf event.
                Doc, can you pass on the stories....

Did you get the impression that the Dykhouse was going to go without these things all together or just until the new fiscal year?
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Doc, did he mention Tyrel Kool and his progression? Will he be a halfback or do they have other plans for him?
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    Doc, can you pass on the stories....

Did you get the impression that the Dykhouse was going to go without these things all together or just until the new fiscal year?
                    Didn't say much more. He sort of mentioned it when replying to a question about getting enough money to pay the assistants and get to a full coaching staff. He said the focus is the Dykhouse center which had to be ramped back due to increase construction costs. I'm pretty sure the plan is to get the roof up and then add the rest when the money is there.

The story on Pete was basically that Stig did not ask him back for fall camp 2 years ago (Pete's 2nd year). He didn't feel like it was going to work out and they are only allowed 90 guys. He had the freshman (Lallich) on the hook. So, first day of fall camp, Pete is there. Stig can't believe it, he is asking his other coaches "what is Pete doing here?" Pete has checked into the dorms and Stig can't send him home but he can't let him practice so he makes him a film guy. Well, Lallich gets hurt 2-3 weeks into fall practice and Stig swaps Pete for Lallich. Parker is still here so he does the kicking but Pete keeps working at it. This year Pete steps in and Stig admits, we didn't not believe in him but we didn't necessarily know what to expect. Then Pete goes 16-22, kicks 3 huge FGs against NDSU and makes 2nd team all-conference.

The Berry story was just what you would expect. 5 picks against Iowa State, Stig is thinking about pulling him. Ryan bounces back and provides what Stig called the greatest performance by a QB at SDSU that he has ever seen! Then he talks about his academic achievements, about bringing his son to film sessions on Monday night, about family, time commitment, excelling at everything you do. Both great stories.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      Doc, did he mention Tyrel Kool and his progression? Will he be a halfback or do they have other plans for him?
                      He said Tyrel was the best scout team RB he had seen since Ranek. No ****, he said that. The crowd was a little stunned. Someone asked if he though Tyrel would be an RB and Stig just said that he would play for sure. He can catch, he is faster than almost every D-back and he was the best scout team RB. I was little surprised.

Comment

He said Tyrel was the best scout team RB he had seen since Ranek. No ****, he said that. The crowd was a little stunned. Someone asked if he though Tyrel would be an RB and Stig just said that he would play for sure. He can catch, he is faster than almost every D-back and he was the best scout team RB. I was little surprised.
                        Wow...in no way am I disappointed by this post. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Comment

I had talked to Tyrel's dad a few times during the season and knew that he was doing well, but I had no idea he was thought of as highly as Stig metioned Wednesday. I was very surprised to hear what Stig said about Tyrel. I hope Tyrel excels at SDSU.

On a side note, it is very interesting that at QB Club, when a rep from SDSU comes down the attendance almost doubles. I am guilty of that also, since this was the first meeting I made this year as it was for 76rabbitt. It gets to be an expensive meal that way, but well worth it to hear Stig speak. Always catch a lot of deserved crap for just showing up for this meeting.

Comment

This sounds like it was a very interesting meeting, and Stig seems to be very open with
                            comments. Especially with individual players mentioned. When he gets tough with people, good things happen. Looks like we are loaded with running backs again next year. Thanks guys for sharing your input on the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                              I had talked to Tyrel's dad a few times during the season and knew that he was doing well, but I had no idea he was thought of as highly as Stig metioned Wednesday. I was very surprised to hear what Stig said about Tyrel. I hope Tyrel excels at SDSU.

On a side note, it is very interesting that at QB Club, when a rep from SDSU comes down the attendance almost doubles. I am guilty of that also, since this was the first meeting I made this year as it was for 76rabbitt. It gets to be an expensive meal that way, but well worth it to hear Stig speak. Always catch a lot of deserved crap for just showing up for this meeting.
                              At least I was wearing Blue!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X