Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin is MVP

Justin Morneau (sp) won the MVP today.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Twin is MVP

A well deserved honor by one of the young Twins. I really thought Jeter had this locked up. I'm glad Justin won even though Mauer and Santana took some of his votes. I can't wait until spring.

Comment

I really did think this was Jeter's year. :'( If he had won it probably would have been more of a career award than necessarily one for this year. But I do feel that he deserves one for everything he does.

Congrats to Justin.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
        I really did think this was Jeter's year. :'( If he had won it probably would have been more of a career award than necessarily one for this year. But I do feel that he deserves one for everything he does.

Congrats to Justin.
        Jeter had a great year, but I don't think he deserved the MVP when he allowed the A-Rod situation to melt down in the media. The captain of the Yankees should have made sure that the situation was handled before it topped baseball headlines. As for the "career award," one already exists: the Hall of Fame, of which Jeter will surely join once he retires and is eligible.

Sorry, EQguy, if I sounded like I was ripping Jeter, but Morneau was the second-leading hitter and top slugger for a team that made a historic comeback to win the division. When Justin turned it on in June, the Twins followed. The Twins mid-season resurrection was unexpected while the Yankees' 345th consecutive division (just kidding!) was expected, hence the reason Morneau edged Jeter for MVP, IMO.

Comment

second-leading hitter and top slugger
          Since when was being second best MVP worthy. Also top slugger on the Twins is not necessarily anything to brag about

I don't think he deserved the MVP when he allowed the A-Rod situation to melt down in the media.
          I don't think anything could have controlled the A-Rod mess this year. The New York media has made up their mind about him and that is that. Also, since when is media control involved in the mvp decision.

I am not even sure that Morneau was the best player on his team. Mauer, Soriano and even Cuddyer might be able to lay claim to that.

Now, I know that you weren't ripping Jeter and please don't take me as ripping Morneau. I just wanted to post some opposing viewpoints to yours. Frankly, the guy I wouldn't want to have come up against my team (Yankees) in a tense situation was Ortiz, he was a lock until his team folded.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

I don't think anything could have controlled the A-Rod mess this year.  The New York media has made up their mind about him and that is that.  Also, since when is media control involved in the mvp decision.

The Baseball Writers of America vote for the MVP. That is media.
            I am not even sure that Morneau was the best player on his team.  Mauer, Soriano and even Cuddyer might be able to lay claim to that.  

I don't think Soriano is a Twin?

Comment

What I meant with my comment was it was a baseball award not a controlling the media award.

Sorry, meant Santana! I had a hard time this season confusing Santana and Liriano, guess I just put them together sort of like TomKat or Bennifer.

In any case congrats to Morneau. The Twins had a great year. I look forward to seeing them on the Yankee roster in years to come
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just a few points and observations:
                1) The award is for Most Valuable Player, not best player. Santana, is without a doubt, the Twins' (and the major's according to one publication) best player and Mauer is probably their best position player. Morneau, however, was the first Twin since 1987 to hit 30 HRs in a season and only the second Twin to have 130 RBIs in a year (Killebrew). Given the Twins' often-anemic offense and his high batting average, I would rate Morneau as being quite valuable. That said, many have suggested that Santana and Mauer are more valuable to the Twins.......
                2) The way Jeter handled A-Rod probably turned some voters off. One cnnsi.com columnist rebuked Jeter for it.
                3) The baseball writers probably look at numbers too much. Jeter may have been the MVP if he had 100 RBIs instead of his 97.
                4) Ortiz would have been MVP (despite being a DH) if Boston hadn't unraveled and he hadn't missed some time then late in the summer. (It still bugs me that the Twins cut him, even though he couldn't handle being on the turf all the time.......)

Comment

Was Morneau the most valuable Twin or did he have the most outstanding performance. It is hard for me to believe that the writers didn't give the MVP to Mauer. His considered one of the top two or three fielding catchers with a great arm, calls a fabulous game, has a great arm, plays the most physically demanding position, has as much influence on each game as the pitcher, and oh yeah, won the batting title. Just my opinion, but I agree with the comment that writers look at nombers too much, especially offensive numbers.

I wish MLB would set out some criteria for the writers to use. If a writer thinks the award should go to the most outstanding performance, they would be able to justify a vote for one player while most valuable player would be someone else. With such a small number of voters, they need to clarify the standards and not be afraid to pull the vote of a writer that doesn't use them.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

It is not surprising that there is a lot of dissent over who is the most valuable player for the Twins. The Twins were a good TEAM this year. A good team is one which has consistent valuable contributions by many individuals. It is usually very easy to name the most valuable player on a bad team but rarely easy to name the most valuable player on a good team.

Comment

If Morneau had put up those numbers for an east coast or west coast team there wouldn't even be an argument. Unfortunately, he plays for a team that was threatened with contraction a couple years ago. That's the only reason there was a debate. And that's coming from a die-hard Angels fan.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                        If Morneau had put up those numbers for an east coast or west coast team there wouldn't even be an argument.  Unfortunately, he plays for a team that was threatened with contraction a couple years ago.  That's the only reason there was a debate.  And that's coming from a die-hard Angels fan.  
                        I would argue that a little. If he put up his numbers on the Yankees or the Red Sox he would have been 3rd on his team in most categories and no one would be talking about offensive prowess. Because his 34 homers and 100+ rbi's was #1 on the gap/slap hitting Twins by a mile it looks that much better.

By the way I don't hate the Twins. I actually enjoy their type of baseball. It's pretty fun to watch.
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                          [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1164136752/0#10 date=1164738344]If Morneau had put up those numbers for an east coast or west coast team there wouldn't even be an argument.  Unfortunately, he plays for a team that was threatened with contraction a couple years ago.  That's the only reason there was a debate.  And that's coming from a die-hard Angels fan.  
                          I would argue that a little.  If he put up his numbers on the Yankees or the Red Sox he would have been 3rd on his team in most categories and no one would be talking about offensive prowess.  Because his 34 homers and 100+ rbi's was #1 on the gap/slap hitting Twins by a mile it looks that much better.

By the way I don't hate the Twins.  I actually enjoy their type of baseball.  It's pretty fun to watch.[/quote]

I tend to agree with some of your points. However, considering he would have had much more protection and RBI opportunities in either Boston or NY, his numbers may have been much more impressive. Matsui for the Yanks ends up with 130+ RBI every year with only 20 HRs or so simply because he is a good hitter who is always hitting with someone on base.

As a Yankee hater I still have to give Jeter his props. He is a winner and plays the game the way it is supposed to be played and probably without any help from chemistry (unlike many of his teamates). However, no one goes into a Yankees series saying "we have to stop Jeter to win". They focus on A-Rod, Giambi and the rest of steroid row. Jeter sets the table for those players, but I'm not sure that makes him the most valuable player in the league. As an Angels fan I'd point to a player like Vlad Guerrero who is obviously the most valuable player on his team. Without Vlad, the Angels are completely different and almost non-existant on offense. Two years ago (maybe 3 - they all blur together) Jeter started the season batting near .250 for the first month and a half and the Yankees still managed to jump out to a big lead in the East and scored runs like they were selling them 2 for a buck at the vending stand. I love Jeter as a player, just not sure he's MVP quality.

I think Morneau won more along the lines of "best offensive player on one of the winning teams" more than anything else. More times than not, that's what the MVP race comes down to. 5 years from now, you could probably make a couple bucks at the bar when asking who the 2006 AL MVP was, because of his obscurity.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

I think Morneau won more along the lines of "best offensive player on one of the winning teams" more than anything else.  More times than not, that's what the MVP race comes down to.  
                            Much like the Heisman can no longer legitimately claim to be the best college football player, it is the best QB/RB/WR and if a weird year DB/returner.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

This is fun. I love the banter. I feel like I am on PTI!

-Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X