MVC All Conference Team Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC All Conference Team Announced

The all conference team has been announced. Berry, Harris and Baaten are first team picks for SDSU.

http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=3625424

MVFC All-Conference (Jacks get12!!)

Nice job guys! Great first year in "The Valley"!!

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=3625438

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Re: MVFC All-Conference (Jacks get12!!)

How Berry wasn't offensive player of the year is beyond me

Comment

Re: MVC All Conference Team Announced

We got hosed on those selections:

Offensive player of the year?
        -- Berry had 30 TDs, and 3,106 yards. And, oh, by the way, his TEAM finished THIRD with a 6-2 record.
        -- Donaldson, 21 TDs, 1,784 yards. Team finished middle of the pack, 4-4.

So naturally, Donaldson is Offensive Player of the Year.

And I also find it interesting that Western Illinois had 7 first team players. Gosh, it seems like with 7 first team players, you might finish better than 4-4 in conference play. Huh. That's really interesting.

How about Glen Fox?

-- Fox, 66 receptions, 792 yards, 10 TDs, 6-2 team.
        -- Eyad Salem, 63 receptions, 843 yards, 8 TDs, 2-6 team.

So naturally, Salem is first team and Fox is second team.

PK: Tyler Rowan is first team. How's he rank in the stats? Fifth. Who was first in percentage made and total FGs? The second team kicker, Pete Reifenrath. Wow.

What an embarrassment. I know coaches have a different way of looking at things (often clouded by gigantic egos... I'm talking to you, Farley). But when the stats don't bear the selections out, it's unfair to the student athletes involved.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Surprised to see Reifenrath make it but good for him.

Comment

I don't think you can go all by stats. For example, I think most if not all teams keyed on Donaldson and Western wasn't exactly a huge double threat. Maybe without him they are 1-7 in conference?

Mostly it's just the hard knocks of being the new kid on the block. A repeat or improvement of this year will change that perception quickly.

Comment

There's also media and SIDs involved in the voting...

Comment

The coaches nominate the players. Farley nominated 15 players for first-team, for example.

Regarding Donaldson. Sure teams key on him. You think anybody focused on stopping Ryan Berry? How might we have finished without him? The offensive player of the year sleight is a no-brainer. The others are judgment calls, although I will not be convinced that WIU deserved 7 first-teamers.

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                Mostly it's just the hard knocks of being the new kid on the block. A repeat or improvement of this year will change that perception quickly.
                Yes, that is my point.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  The coaches nominate the players. Farley nominated 15 players for first-team, for example.

Regarding Donaldson. Sure teams key on him. You think anybody focused on stopping Ryan Berry? How might we have finished without him. That one is a no-brainer. The others are judgment calls, although I will not be convinced that WIU deserved 7 first-teamers.
                  Ditto. It's kind of like how NDSU finishes ranked ahead of us in coach's and ap polls..after we beat them.

Comment

We got hosed on those selections:

Offensive player of the year?
                    -- Berry had 30 TDs, and 3,106 yards. And, oh, by the way, his TEAM finished THIRD with a 6-2 record.
                    -- Donaldson, 21 TDs, 1,784 yards. Team finished middle of the pack, 4-4.
                    Yeah, Berry got hosed on that one. But SDSU fans know he was the right choice and most of the fans in the conference would agree. The conference is going to give it to someone who has been around and not the new guy on the block.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                      Yeah, Berry got hosed on that one. But SDSU fans know he was the right choice and most of the fans in the conference would agree. The conference is going to give it to someone who has been around and not the new guy on the block.
                      While its sad, what you say is very true. Its a difficult thing to do, come into a new league and steal the thunder of the stars that have been there for a while. I agree Berry should be the Offensive MVP, but a case can be made for Herb as well. At least we aren't like USD and get no first-teamers in our first year in a new league. That has got to ruffle some serious feathers. (Not trying to start smack, just making the comparison)
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

To be fair, Donaldson led the entire nation in rushing yards this year and was 3rd in scoring. While I agree that Berry was more deserving considering where the Jacks finished in conference compared to WIU, his statistical rankings nationally weren't at the same level as Donaldson.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          To be fair, Donaldson led the entire nation in rushing yards this year and was 3rd in scoring. While I agree that Berry was more deserving considering where the Jacks finished in conference compared to WIU, his statistical rankings nationally weren't at the same level as Donaldson.
                          Very good point!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            Think about this, though. Berry was dominant in every conference game except one where he was injured for three quarters and still came back to win it. Donaldson averaged 87 yards against the teams that finished ahead of WIU in the standings. He averaged 202 yards against the rest of the league. So Donaldson was great against the bad teams in the league, and very average against the good ones. (And remember, more than 500 of his 1700+ yards came against Quincy and SFA).

Berry, on the other hand, was far more consistent. Other than NDSU, he averaged more than 250 yards in every conference game. More yards. More TDs. More total points. More wins.

Who's the offensive MVP again?
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Think about this, though. Berry was dominant in every conference game except one where he was injured for three quarters and still came back to win it. Donaldson averaged 87 yards against the teams that finished ahead of WIU in the standings. He averaged 202 yards against the rest of the league. So Donaldson was great against the bad teams in the league, and very average against the good ones. (And remember, more than 500 of his 1700+ yards came against Quincy and SFA).

Berry, on the other hand, was far more consistent. Other than NDSU, he averaged more than 250 yards in every conference game. More yards. More TDs. More total points. More wins.

Who's the offensive MVP again?
                              One argument against that would be that Berry had better talent around him. Jaron Harris is a certified stud, and the offensive line was pretty good.

Also, it really isn't fair to compare yards with a QB and RB. Of course a QB is going to have a lot more yards then a runningback. In the NFL, QB's routinely throw for 3,000+ yards a year. RB's rarely run for 2,000.

And please don't assume I'm saying this cause I'm a USD fan. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate. I'd say Ryan Berry has every right to be considered MVC OPOY
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                              X