Time to Start Tarvaris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Start Tarvaris?

Well, the Vikes put together another clunker today as they lost to the Bears 23-13. This, despite the fact that the Bears had five turnovers, were outgained by MN 348 to 107 in total offense, and barely had the ball for 20 minutes. Viking special teams gave up another touchdown and Brad Johnson threw four interceptions before getting the hook. Second-stringer Brooks Bollinger did OK before taking a bad hit, resulting in Tarvaris Jackson making his NFL debut in the fourth quarter. Jackson went 3-4 for 35 yards in mop-up duty, losing a fumble.

Since the Vikings' season is essentially over with a 5-7 record, should Childress start Jackson for the remainder of the season and see what his "QB of the future" is capable of?

Re: Time to Start Tarvaris?

yes, as it appears this season is slipping out of playoff contention(not quite yet, thanks rest of NFC) I believe we should see what we got. Maybe he will give us a spark and we will roll. If he is not the answer then we should be looking to the draft again or Free agency. Now that we have a defense that can stop people we need a super bowl quaility offense.

Comment

Tarvaris got some quality PT on Sunday. I thought he looked very good. He threw 1 INT, but he was in a position where he HAD to be aggressive. Also, I'd rather see the ball thrown down the field and get intercepted than Johnson stumbling over his own feet and fumbling the ball.

Another thought...there has been some complaints about the O-line this year. Is this because they're not that good? Or, is it because Johnson can't move? I think the run blocking has been serviceable, although not stellar. Almost anyone would have Chester's numbers if they got as many carries as him. However, it seems like Johnson never has enough time. I think it's a combination of the line not playing that great AND the fact Johnson can't move. I think you need to expect your QB to move around little in the pocket to buy some time. I think having Tarvaris in the game will make the line look MUCH BETTER. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Just saw this...I guess here's our answer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6287852

Comment

I was actually at the game on Sunday and at halftime I turned to my friend and asked him to give an over/under on how many possessions it would take before Jackson was in. It was beyond pathetic watching the offense with Johnson running it. He may have had decent passing numbers, but he has zero mobility and took zero chances in the passing game. The offense took a whole different look with Jackson runnings things. I felt bad for Johnson as fans were chanting "We want Jackson" in the 3rd quarter, and booed every time Johnson took the field, he probably deserved better than that, but it was time for the switch to be made.

Comment

I'm not sure you can put all the blame on Johnson. You've got a coach who was an Offensive Coordinator that never called the plays, supposedly because the head coach, Andy Reid, would never give up that control. In the first year of Reid having someone else as OC, he has given up the play calling. My guess is that Reid finally heard something in the meetings that convinced him it would all right to turn over those duties, something he had not heard in the past. Stupid play calling hinders any QB. While I don't think Johnson is without fault, it is definitely not just him that has sent this year down the tube for Vikings fans (which I am not),

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I thought Andy Reid was Philly's head coach? Am I missing something that happened this year or what.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                I thought Andy Reid was Philly's head coach? Am I missing something that happened this year or what.
                The Vikings head coach, Childress, was offensive coordinator for Philly before he came to Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                  Marty Morningwheg (sp?) took Childress' place as offensive coordinator when Childress was hired by the Vikes.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I'm not sure you can put all the blame on Johnson. You've got a coach who was an Offensive Coordinator that never called the plays, supposedly because the head coach, Andy Reid, would never give up that control. In the first year of Reid having someone else as OC, he has given up the play calling. My guess is that Reid finally heard something in the meetings that convinced him it would all right to turn over those duties, something he had not heard in the past. Stupid play calling hinders any QB. While I don't think Johnson is without fault, it is definitely not just him that has sent this year down the tube for Vikings fans (which I am not),
                    I second that.

Comment

Well, that went well.......

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
                        Well, that went well.......
                        27 yards passing (if I remeber correctly). That was ugly, just ugly. If Farve wouldn't have thrown the ball to Smoot it might have ended 6-0 Packers. Johnson is not the main problem here. I think the overpaid O-line has a lot to do with it.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

10-20, 50 yards I think is how it ended. I'm not putting much of the blame at all on him. He has no reliable recievers to throw to (several dropped balls), continued terrible play calling (same that Brad Johnson had), and a weak offensive line (other than Birk and Hutchinson). I don't think he played all that bad himself, he missed a couple of throws but also made some really nice ones that were either dropped or called back because of penalty.

Just been a frustrating year overall, Brad Johnson was a scapegoat for a terrible offense, but the problems run much deeper than him.

Comment

I agree. Give him back that 40+ reception by Troy Williamson, who has just been pathetic this year for dropped balls, who made a high school kids effort on a good throw. And Travis Taylor's awesome catch which got taken back because of a illegal shift penalty. Give him another 70 yards and those plays would have kept drives going and given him another chance to throw again. I thought he looked good for being his first start, but I do agree with the play calling. But obviously dropped balls and penalties are going to happen, but it happened too much during the game....which also could be pointed back to the coach too so...

Comment

Working...
                            X