A history lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A history lesson

SDSU fans readily admit NDSU has an enviable winning tradition in football. But how many know the history: when did NDSU's traditition start? Where was SDSU when NDSU rose to the top? Here's a little history (for those who apparently have nothing better to do with their time! )

SDSU and NDSU have played 95 football games with the first game played in 1903. NDSU has a significant win advantage: 51 wins to SDSU’s 39 wins. There have been five ties. But since 1903, the fortunes of the two teams were not always NDSU on top. In fact, for much of the first 61 years in the series – taking us through the 1963 season, SDSU was the better team. I submit that the 1963 and 1964 seasons were the turning points for NDSU and SDSU. I also submit that the past five years, particularly the past two years, may signal another shift in football fortunes, equal to that which happened in 1963-64. At the very least, if not a shift, then perhaps a balance is being achieved.

To understand my point, one should go back to 1963 and a critical event in NDSU athletics: the hiring of the great Darrell Mudra.

As noted on GoBison.com, NDSU’s football fortunes changed dramatically with the hiring of Mudra in 1963. The prior season, 1962, had been ten-loss, no-win disaster and NDSU’s administration and alumni were resolved to build a winning football program. Mudra’s 1963 campaign ended 3-5-1. Then he worked his magic with a 10-1 record in 1964 and, in 1965, a flawless 11-0 record and the national NCAA College-Division title.

Mudra coached just three seasons for the Bison, hardly enough time to recruit his own guys. His combined three-year record: 24-6-1, an outstanding accomplishment considering he notched only three wins his first season. Mudra went on to coach at a total of eight institutions at all levels, compiling a win-loss-tie record of 207 – 88 – 4 over the course of 27 years, earning the nickname “Dr. Victory”. NDSU elected Mudra to its Hall of Fame in 1989.

By the time Mudra left NDSU, NDSU believed it was a football school. In three years – actually two years (1964 and 1965) -- Mudra set the tone for what we still see today in Bison football. The attitude of its fans, never willing to accept anything but a perfect season (sometimes to the point of appearing unreasonable to others), was created in the Mudra era. Before Mudra, NDSU was mediocre at best and often found itself in the bottom half of the NCC.

After Mudra, other great coaches took the helm at NDSU, along with some not-so-successful. Those less successful were viewed as the problem, the Bison faithful knowing full-well that the only thing wrong with Bison football was the darned coach. ‘Get rid of the coach so we can get back to chasing national championships’ was the attitude – an exaggeration to be sure but there was a certain swagger and, I think, some lessons to be learned about positive thinking.

Mudra’s first season at NDSU was also a turning point of sorts for SDSU. In 1963, SDSU beat NDSU, as it had in 1962. The 1962 and 1963 seasons are notable because 1962 was the last time SDSU would win in Fargo until 2008. The 1962 and 1963 seasons were the last time SDSU beat NDSU two years in a row until: 2007-2008. SDSU was the NCC champ, either outright or shared, in 1961, 1962 and 1963.

When Mudra came to NDSU, SDSU’s great gentleman coach, Ralph Ginn, started to struggle. After being at the top of the conference, Ginn had a series of losing records until he hung it up following the 1968 season. Those records include: 1964, 2-8; 1965, 1-8-1; 1966, 3-7; 1967, 4-6 and 1968, 4-6.

While 1963 was the year in which NDSU planted the seeds for its long run as one of the better programs in what was at first, NCAA College Division, and later, NCAA Division II, it was also the last year for SDSU’s consistency as a very good football school. The 1963 season was the last football conference championship until 2007 when SDSU won the Great West Football Conference title.

There were some good seasons for the Jackrabbits in the decades following 1963 (for purposes of illustration and not limitation, consider the following examples: John Gregory’s 1979 appearance in the Division II playoffs; or some Mike Daly-coached teams which on a good day could give just about anybody a run for their money) but it was difficult for the Jackrabbits to earn the accolade “outstanding”, let alone put together two or more outstanding seasons in a row.

I noted earlier the significant NDSU advantage in the SDSU series win-loss-tie record: 51-39-5. If we use 1963 as a pivotal season, how do the years 1963 and earlier compare to the post-1963 seasons? For the series since 1963, that is, starting with 1964, NDSU has dominated SDSU with NDSU claiming 35 wins to SDSU’s 5. So, that means that from the start of the series through the 1963 season, SDSU was dominant, winning 34 contests to NDSU’s 16, with the teams tying five times.

There are events, coaches, players, injuries, maybe facilities and likely countless other factors that have an impact on what, over time, we sometimes call tradition. Since Darrell Mudra coached the Bison, the Bison have had a great winning tradition. They did not always win but usually they did. And they ALWAYS expected to win.

The Bison won the first game against the Jackrabbits in 1903, 85-0. But, in those first 61 years of the series, from 1903 through 1963, SDSU had a great winning tradition over the Bison. The Bison had no real winning tradition in football until Mudra took over. Remarkably, they’ve held that winning tradition for the past 45 years! Sure, there have been a few down years but they are the exception, not the rule.

A tradition of winning, just like a tradition of losing, is always at risk for ending. The Bison’s tradition of sub-par football ended quickly when Coach Mudra stepped on the Fargo campus. SDSU’s tradition of consistent winning seasons and routinely competing for NCC titles, ended just as quickly in 1963.

In the past five years, SDSU is a program on the move and that move is unmistakably in one direction. Opponents who fail to respect the Jackrabbits have often learned a hard lesson (that’s not very profound: any team failing to respect any opponent often learns a hard lesson).

NDSU caught lightning in a bottle when Darrell Mudra put on green and yellow. Today, SDSU has caught on to something – it’s not the instant change Mudra caused but it has been, nonetheless, a relatively rapid improvement in just five years since the Jackrabbits moved to D-I. It’s a slower, building process that is producing remarkable results and, importantly, has set the stage for better things in the future.

SDSU’s success is not necessarily at the expense of NDSU. Two top programs can exist in the same conference. And I think they will.

SDSU’s relatively fast path to success in our ‘modern era’ of DI football is akin to constructing a strong foundation for a building -- it insures stability and success in the future. We’re now in position to attract top recruits. Facilities are in transition and for those who are impressed by a new building, we can start showing the plans for the future with cement being poured as these words are being read. Today’s outstanding high school athletes want to have a shot at playing time, playing for something, and being a winner. SDSU delivers all three.

1963: the end of an era for SDSU and the start of one for NDSU. 2004-2008: the start of a new era for SDSU.
    Last edited by JackJD; 11-25-2008, 10:56 PM.

Re: A history lesson

1963: the end of an era for SDSU and the start of one for NDSU. 2004-2008: the start of a new era for SDSU.[/QUOTE]

This is a nice snapshot of the history. Nice reading.

I started going to Bison games in elementary school when my sister went to NDSU. That was when Mudra & Erhardt had just started the winning tradition. There were 3 national championships during what I call the Erhardt era, because Mudra's stay was short. He shook the tree with some very, very tough workouts & discipline. Erhardt was just a great coach. They were non-playoff championships that were voted on by the media.

Before that time...NDSU was a dormat in the NCC much of the time. UND dominated us.

We really can't compare the current team at NDSU to the teams of the 60s, 70s, & 80s. Those were different times. The real dominance ended in 1990...followed by some very strong teams that didn't make it to the top.

Yes...the expectation in Fargo is very, very high. A 6-5 year is considered to be 'very down.' The troups are restless.

I agree with your opinion that we can both have strong programs. I would like to see our two schools at the top of the conference in the coming years...with both going to the playoffs.

This is kind of off the wall...and I'm known for this on bisonville...but I could see a day where the MVFC moves up to the FBS...and I could see our programs being like a Utah, or a Boise State, etc. I know that's 'pie in the sky' thinking. It probably won't happen in my lifetime...but I really think that our schools have the potential to be there someday.

But for now...the challenge of winning consistently in the conference and becoming good enough to make a serious playoff run should be the goal. And it's very much in reach.

It will take a dominant defense, in my opinion, to push us into that category. Having a very 'heady' QB and a couple of outstanding running backs seems to be part of the formula also. One of the bigger challenges that I've seen so far is learning how to stuff the spread offenses that we run into. Getting teams off the field and controlling the ball is huge. The conference is very physical and athletic.

We have to hit the trail and build some depth at quarterback. That's our biggest problem that must be solved. Kicking & coverage on punts & kicks has surfaced as a problem since about the middle of last year. We haven't been the same since the Minnesota game last year. Not sure what that's all about.

When I think of the way that SDSU plays...one word comes to mind. Tenacity

The team seems very determined and gutsy. It's a compliment. They never let go, or give up. They swarm.

I see that you're scheduled to play at Minnesota next year. Right? Don't be intimidated by that idea. They've had some good recruiting going on since last year...but in the trenches you'll match up just fine. I think that they'll be surprised...again...that a team from what they call 'the Dakotas' is good enough to play with them. If you're looking for 'attitude'...well...let me just say that some of the Gopher fans have it. You'll get the 'end of the world'...'there's nothin' out there' attitude in a big way. You guys will not only play 'with' them. You can beat them.

Well...it's on to basketball season.

Thanks

Comment

There was actually only one coach from the 60s to the 90s that was moved out. Erv Kjelbertson was at NDSU for 2 or 3 years right after Erhardt left to be an assistant in the NFL. Erv made the mistake of have a couple of 7-3 or 6-4 type seasons. After that it was Jim Wacker, Don Morton, Earle Solomonson, & Rocky Hager. Rocky was a winner at NDSU...but there was a period of discipline problems that did him in after a very good career there. Then came the somewhat lackluster 90s and the early part of the 2000s. Bob Babich did a decent job. Then came Craig Bohl from the Husker program. So there really wasn't much turnover in terms of firings. Mudra, Erhardt, Wacker, Morton, and Solomonson all moved on to DI programs or the NFL. Actually, Mudra might have moved to UNI...a lateral move of sorts. So we've had that luxury. But the natives 'do' get restless in Fargo. If Bohl has another 6-5 type of season, the power structure of the Teammakers won't be patient. Playoffs and serious playoff runs are expected. That can be both good, and bad.

One final thought...or question:

How are the two basketball programs at SDSU now? When we lived there, they were very strong...but UND had that unusually good team with Guldseth & company. Not a UND fan here. But they were very talented. But I remember SDSU pushing them. I've always thought of SDSU as a premiere basketball school. Loved going to the games at Frost. I was actually a real 'fan' of the Rabbits in basketball.

Comment

How are the two basketball programs at SDSU now? When we lived there, they were very strong...but UND had that unusually good team with Guldseth & company. Not a UND fan here. But they were very talented. But I remember SDSU pushing them. I've always thought of SDSU as a premiere basketball school. Loved going to the games at Frost. I was actually a real 'fan' of the Rabbits in basketball.

CA - GREAT POSTS! ana thanks for sharing. Please see the MBB and WBB sections about the respective programs. In short, the Men's has had multiple internal issues, and hasn't been at the level most Jacks fans expect. The women's is a top program not just in the Summit, but nationally. We'll seehow successful when they play the MD Terps on a neutral court at 1 PM DST.

Comment

Originally posted by CaBisonFan View Post
          1963: the end of an era for SDSU and the start of one for NDSU. 2004-2008: the start of a new era for SDSU.

This is a nice snapshot of the history. Nice reading.

Before that time...NDSU was a dormat in the NCC much of the time. UND dominated us.

Thanks
          Yes NDSU, Augustana and USD used to fight to stay out of the basement in late 1950's and early 1960's. The precessor of Darrell Mudra was Bob Danielsen, who left Ralph Ginn to become the head coach at NDSU. I went to school with Bob's daughter in Brookings and Bob and family were Sunday regulars at First Lutheran. Bob's problem was he did not have the financial support that was there starting in 1963. I believe the Forum has written about the fact that prior president at NDSU did not want the athletic department begging for money for scholarships from downtown Fargo businesses. Meanwhile the begging was going on in Brookings and elsewhere. I dont have the names of the presidents handy, but the one that took over in 1963 had a complete change in thinking and hence we have the Teamakers who with their donations made a huge difference and literally can take credit for a ton of stuff at NDSU.

What has been posted prior to my post, is accurate as best I can tell. So 1963 was indeed a pivotal year. I was a student in the 1960s when SDSU won the NCC or tied 1961-62-63. Ralph Ginn had won several NCC in the the 1950's too so he is still the winningest coach in SDSU history with 136 wins. That seems like a breakable record, but it still stands.

I think Coach Stig is as moral and as knowledgeable as Ralph Ginn. Whenever the very good coaches like Dave Kragethorpe and Conrad were hired, we did not seem to understand that SDSU could reach beyond D2 and we probably did not pay enough to keep them here. Conrad went on to Arkansas State, and did a number of good things. Kragthorpe went to Weber State and Oregan State. I know one player from that transition period told me that if SDSU had been able to hang on to Kragthorpe SDSU might have been very competitive. Who knows?

Discussing SDSU football history is like reliving the US Civil War, its done and is in the history books. I like our chances for the future.

Comment

Working...
          X