Crawford or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawford or ?

Ok, ok I know the 2008 season has just ended, but there are some big shoes to fill under center.

We got the biggest taste of Ryan Crawford possible until spring ball and then fall camp. The coaches obviously really, really pulled in the reins on letting him go downfield, so we don't know about his arm. He also had green and gold breathing down his back for 2-1/2 quarters, not allowing much time to survey the field.

He had a good presence to not force balls with the onslaught coming at him and had a nice completion percentage, but is this the quarterback we want leading the 2009 team?

I really think it's going to come down to Crawford vs. O'Brien, Jeske's not in there.

If O'Brien's got the big arm and intelligence the coaches feel he had as a key recruit out of high school, should he get the nod with a well established running game coming back and a good, but maybe not great package of receivers without JaRon?

Do we want Crawford for just one year, but with a good feel for the offense? Lots of returners on defense and Minett, Duffy, Fox, Steffen, Cochart and 3/5 of the line back should allow this team to be back in the hunt for the playoffs next year. The experience may be key at the QB.

My buck is on O'Brien. I don't know why, just a hunch.

Others have probably seen these two in practice a heck of a lot more than I ever have, so maybe you guys have better insight.

Re: Crawford or ?

Anyone know when the last time is we had a Senior as a first year starter at QB?

Just asking because it always seems like an underclassmen takes over for a graduating senior, maybe its just coincidence that its worked out that way though.

I've heard/read a few times that O'Brien was the most talented QB on the team this year, whether that is truly the case remains to be seen. Crawford played a decent game in a tough situation against NDSU but if its a tossup going into next year I'd prefer going with the young guy who we could have as a 4 year starter over a Senior who would start for one.

As for the receiving corps I think we are stacked going into next year. We lose Harris but Steffen, Fox, Gant, and Cochart return and we get Montague back from injury. Also with the freshman we have Rollin was pretty highly touted coming out of Missouri and Dan Schmidt is an athletic 6'4" receiver as well. Don't get me wrong, replacing Harris isn't something easy to do, but I think we have alot of talent left at the position.

Comment

To me it seems like Crawfords delivery takes to long on his throws.. It was like he was throwing in slow motion. maybe it's just because I'm so used to Berry.. I know the coaching staff will make the best choice.. my gut instinct says O'Brien

Comment

Spring ball will give our coaching staff the time to elevaluate, but its nice to have choices.

Comment

It will be a good battle for the starting spot. I think people need to give Crawford a lot more credit for his play during the NDSU game. He didn't do anything spectacular but he didn't make any mistakes either. He was 8 of 10 and threw a touchdown pass. I understand most of his throws were short and didn't make any big passes but he was on his back most of the time he was in there as well.

Comment

I think some may be a little quick to judge from what we have see of Crawford. No matter who takes over for Berry people will be critical of that person by comparing to qb results fro the previous year which would not be fair to who ever takes over. Obrien sounds like hes got what it takes but then I thought Crawford was a pretty big qb for us coming out of high school also at the time. We say Crawford play a little and i thought fairly well considering the line could not stop the NDSU blitz. I do not think that they were going to let him throw to far down field because he prolly didnt have the reps from practice with the first team to have great timing down. I think Crawford gets the nod being older and just a hair of game experience. Gives Obrien another year of getting bigger, stronger, more pracitce with the system. Maybe If Crawford does not perform well to start the year he might get pulled to give Obrien some real good experince to take over the team the following year. I hope that is not the case however. If i recall people were ready to pull the chain on Berry after both last years start and this year. Missing open recievers and throwin INTs etc but it seems he found his grove and everyone would be willing to admit he one of the best QBs this school has ever seen. I personally think with a renewed emphisis on the run game with a better playing offensive line will take the pressure off who ever is at qb and minett and Duffy and company will be the stars of the team next year. wow sorry for the long post but i guess i had a lot to say.

Goon
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              It will be a good battle for the starting spot. I think people need to give Crawford a lot more credit for his play during the NDSU game. He didn't do anything spectacular but he didn't make any mistakes either. He was 8 of 10 and threw a touchdown pass. I understand most of his throws were short and didn't make any big passes but he was on his back most of the time he was in there as well.
              I agree. Although he didn't win the game for us, he didn't lose it either. He played within himself and did not try and force anything that could have led to a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                I agree. Although he didn't win the game for us, he didn't lose it either. He played within himself and did not try and force anything that could have led to a mistake.
                He also deserves big credit for maintaining a calm while playing and not allowing anyone to panic. He stepped up and looked like he belonged on the field. I was screaming for them to open up the playbook for him, but he did well with what he had to work with. I also think he adds a nice wrinkle with his ability to run. I think one of his first plays was a hybrid option of sorts that he kept the ball on a nice run. He looks much more comfortable running than Berry ever did...then again no one expected Berry to run much.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Just shot the Stig show for the week. The question was asked. Stig said essentially that Ryan Crawford has paid his dues. Honestly, I can't imagine a RS freshman starting at QB for us. This is a program that has always respected the idea of giving upperclassmen their chance. And I think that's a good thing.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Right now, I would say Crawford. What's wrong with a freshman sitting as the back-up for one year. He would still have the next 3 years to be the starter. We will also have to see how Crawford's hand heals. Harris had a good year this year, but towards the end, Fox was getting a lot of the catches. Don't get me wrong, we are going to miss Harris but we do have some good receivers behind him.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I've been told by players that O'Brien was the best quarterback on this years roster. I think Crawford will start the season though... just because of seniority and he has paid has dues. I wouldn't be surprised if 0'Brien gets some action though.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Again, the only critique I've heard of O'Brien is that he really needs to learn how to take a hit...I mean really learn. Other than that, I hear he's got some serious talent.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Again, the only critique I've heard of O'Brien is that he really needs to learn how to take a hit...I mean really learn. Other than that, I hear he's got some serious talent.
                          Line him up on some sideline drills in practice, he'll learn fast enough then.

Comment

O'Brien's been leading the scout team, I'm told, and doing a very good job. He just needs some time. From what I've heard, he's got a great arm and a great feel for the game. But I'm still expecting Crawford to be the QB. The kid's been here for a long time, waiting his turn, and no doubt has learned a thing or two along the way.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm no way in favor of "he's paid his dues so he should get to start". May the best man win.

I remember when Noel Bouche beat out Bill Perron (who was the senior returning starter) when Daly was coaching. Noel was the better QB that year and deserved to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X