POST defeats U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POST defeats U

The U men lost to something called Post. Don't they make Toasties? It wasn't an exhibition game either.

Their women played in front of 17 fans at the Vermillion high school gym yesterday.

I'm not being arrogant by saying that is freakin hilarious stuff, you can't make it up. Defeated by Post and playing in a high school gym, that is hilarious to me and better be damn embarrassing to anyone who considers themselves a U fan, all 5 of them.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: POST defeats U

I take that post as an indirect critisism at the dome for being a multipurpose facility not being able to handle basketball and football in the same day. As much as you want to critisize the dome, your own football attendance and revenue would be increased if you had one yourselves. Plus the crowd tends to get into games more at a dome as well. Personally I am an outdoor football kind of guy but there are not enough people that would be willing to sit outside on a 30 degree november day with a 5 degree windchill. I would sit outside in any weather but most people just simply aren't that dedicated including my own family. I would be ditched to the dogs if I asked them to sit through that kind of weather for 4 hours. Your attendance after hobo days is proof enough that when SDSU fans make fun of the Dakota Dome they are making fun of something that could very much help SDSU if they had it for a few games a year. The fact of the matter is that USD's attendance probably would have been closer to 4,000 than 7,000 had they not had the dome yesterday.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      I take that post as an indirect critisism at the dome for being a multipurpose facility not being able to handle basketball and football in the same day. As much as you want to critisize the dome, your own football attendance and revenue would be increased if you had one yourselves. Plus the crowd tends to get into games more at a dome as well. Personally I am an outdoor football kind of guy but there are not enough people that would be willing to sit outside on a 30 degree november day with a 5 degree windchill. I would sit outside in any weather but most people just simply aren't that dedicated including my own family. I would be ditched to the dogs if I asked them to sit through that kind of weather for 4 hours. Your attendance after hobo days is proof enough that when SDSU fans make fun of the Dakota Dome they are making fun of something that could very much help SDSU if they had it for a few games a year. The fact of the matter is that USD's attendance probably would have been closer to 4,000 than 7,000 had they not had the dome yesterday.
      Our average attendance for the season was higher than the capacity of your dome. How exactly could us building one like yours increase our attendance?

Comment

Long Island University - CW Post, is a member of the East Coast Conference and an NCAA DII school. I'm uncertain about the name but it appears to be known as CW Post and is a part of Long Island University. ECC teams include Adelphi, Bridgeport, Concordia, Dowling, Mercy, Mollot, NYIT, Queens and St. Thomas Aquinas. (When reading the list, I thought they were all hospitals in the NY City area.)

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
          Oh yee of little understanding. I'm being critical of much more than that. That excuse doesn't cut it for me and shouldn't cut it for any real U booster/fan. 6 years ago U knew that the SU's were going DI. U wanted to REALLY BAD but U knew U couldn't do it. So, U hoped and worse, tried to make sure the SU's fell on their faces while U tried to dress up a badly depleted and no longer prestigious DII and NCC. I heard crap like "The Harvard of the Plains" and "South Dakota's team". Then, when it became apparent the DI was where it is at, U said U were just biding your time.

Well, if U were truly just biding your time U would have started building the facilities that are absolutely necessary to have a DI program. However, U didn't know what U were doing and in reality had NO CHOICE but to go DI or become even less relevant as it applies to athletics and academics (yeah academics is better at DI too). No commissioned study, at least not a real one, no plan, no one with the proper vision of foresight.

So, now while we are annually ranked in the top 25 in FB, appearing in and winning post-season games at the DI level, playing and beating teams like Utah, Oregon, USC, Wisconsin, Missouri, Notre Dame, etc.. in Brookings and on the road; and as a result, getting publicity from sources like ESPN while ever moving forward, U guys are playing BB in a high school gym, driving buses to SC to play DII independent teams, and skirting title IX to try and raise enough funds to get to where you should have already been.

The kicker though, is that U are blind to it. Instead U hold onto the irrelevant and not even factual idea that your relative success at the end of the DII era somehow means it will all be just fine because its gone so well for us. Its ridiculous and dangerous and I'm genuinely concerned about the direction our states second largest university, where I am on the faculty, is headed. USD administration had better be taking a hard look at things and they better have some concrete plan. I've asked Abbott and all I get is that there is plenty of support (money) and they have a "master plan".

Anyways, I'm probably wrong and overreacting. It is early in transition and you have to take your lumps, we know that all to well. I will say this, if SDSU would have pulled the crap the U has, played the schedule the U is, and asked for the things the U has; we who have been laughed at and cast aside. I'm hoping TV puts together a piece comparing where we are with where the U is and what the U will need to do to be where we are. It would be ugly and scary to say the least.

I'm done for now. Call me arrogant or conceded (sometimes I am) but this is how I see it. The good part, it doesn't matter how I see it I'm not making any decisions here. Time will tell. I will say that I am VERY EXCITED about the direction SDSU is headed and I believe the sky is the limit for us. I'm not sure what most U supporters are thinking but the ones I talk to aren't as excited about the future as I am.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

It seems to me that if you want to compete on the D1 level a multi-purpose facility is not where it's at. Late in the fall conflicts like the state high school playoffs forcing your teams to play in high schools or playing away are unacceptable. A D1 school should not have to play in a high school especially when trying to gain respect. Even NJIT is building their own facility. Have a football only place, and a gym like Frost for the indoor sports. Look at State, One weekend there was volleyball on Friday night, Saturday had football and volleyball. No conflicts there.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              It seems to me that if you want to compete on the D1 level a multi-purpose facility is not where it's at. Late in the fall conflicts like the state high school playoffs forcing your teams to play in high schools or playing away are unacceptable. A D1 school should not have to play in a high school especially when trying to gain respect. Even NJIT is building their own facility. Have a football only place, and a gym like Frost for the indoor sports. Look at State, One weekend there was volleyball on Friday night, Saturday had football and volleyball. No conflicts there.
              To be fair, I should have stated that the U is building a facility dedicated to the indoor ball sports, when you are talking USD thats really just basketball and VB. Its going to be just south of the dome and sounds like it will more the fulfill their needs and should be a very nice facility. My point was that they should have been working harder towards getting it done sooner it indeed the move to DI was always in the works. Plenty of USD guys, including CF, have said that the move up was always planned they were just waiting for us to "pave the way' and we did. Brilliant is what they like to think they are. I say that B as in B and S as in S. I think the fact they are playing games in high school gyms and taking bus trips to play DII teams in FB supports my belief.

Comment

USD has a couple of good players - Dylan Grimsley and Tyler Cain. Maybe Louie Krogman will fit into that category some day. Despite concerns about his speed, I wish Krogman was a Jack because of his shooting talent and public relations value as a local kid. Beyond those guys, the Coyotes don't seem to be anything special. They play a weak schedule overall, so they probably will appear to be better than they are. In reality, the Yotes are very average and just a failed math test, transfer, twisted knee or off-court incident away from a downward spiral into transition hell. The outcome of the Post game was a little dose of reality. Harsher realities await.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Our average attendance for the season was higher than the capacity of your dome. How exactly could us building one like yours increase our attendance?
                  Easy ... if it comes with the same people doing the counting.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    It's obvious. We would have to use their method of counting also.

Comment

As far as the indoor football thing, I think SDSU would benefit greatly if they had an indoor facility similar to the one in Fargo. It would be able to accommodate the large crowds and the attendance would be much higher at the end of the year. As a student at SDSU, I don't want to wake up earlier then I have to on a Saturday to go to a game when its freezing cold outside and I know tons of students agree with me.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                        As far as the indoor football thing, I think SDSU would benefit greatly if they had an indoor facility similar to the one in Fargo. It would be able to accommodate the large crowds and the attendance would be much higher at the end of the year. As a student at SDSU, I don't want to wake up earlier then I have to on a Saturday to go to a game when its freezing cold outside and I know tons of students agree with me.
                        For a SDSU student you sure talk up the Uperiods...uhmmmm, uhhhmmm, uuhhhhhmm.

Comment

As a student at SDSU, I don't want to wake up earlier then I have to on a Saturday to go to a game when its freezing cold outside and I know tons of students agree with me.
                          Where to begin....

We'll never have a facility like the FargoDome. Ever. And thank goodness for that. As far as being asked to wake up at noon and go to a cold stadium... wow. I have no idea how to respond to that. As someone who literally cherishes every moment I get at the stadium watching the Jackrabbits play football, I cannot relate in the least. Put on warm clothes and realize that you don't get to be a part of something like that very often in your life. Gameday at Coughlin is something special.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

First rule in life, football is an outdoors sport. The day SDSU chooses the NDSU, UNI, UND, USD route would be a very sad day. Even the Gophers have figured that out.

Now, as for cold days and getting up early. Noon is too early? And you live in the upper midwest not Florida or AZ. If I had to guess getting up early to go hunting or to class isn't an issue, why would getting up early and going to a football game to watch a team fighting for a conference championship not be worth it?

Comment

This has to be the lamest excuse for not going to a football game ever. But if you look at today's student, they would rather have everything handed to them. Sad if this truly is the student fan bases excuse for the late season games.

Comment

Working...
                              X