Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sad opener for the Twins

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2821291
    Hall of Fame broadcaster Herb Carneal, whose smooth baritone narrated Minnesota Twins games for the past 45 seasons, died Sunday morning of congestive heart failure, the team announced.

Carneal, 83, was part of the club's radio play-by-play team for all but the first year of the team's existence in Minnesota.

"Herb Carneal's voice was the signature element of Twins baseball for multiple generations of fans," said club president Dave St. Peter, a longtime friend of Carneal's. "Clearly, he was one of the most beloved figures in Minnesota sports history."

Garrison Keillor, another radio man whose voice made him a Minnesota icon, once wrote a tune for one of his Prairie Home Companion shows that was titled "Porch Song." In that whimsy, folksy tribute to summer's simple pleasures, Keillor included this stanza:

"Just give me two pillows and a bottle of beer. And the Twins game on radio next to my ear. Some hark to the sound of the loon or the teal. But I love the voice of Herb Carneal."

Re: Another sad opener for the Twins

Granted, Herb had gone downhill the past few years, but man! To hear the molasses-smooth voice of Herb matched up with the dynamics of John Gordon was a treat for any Twins fan when they were in their heyday. I don't think there was a better announcing tandem than these two.

RIP, Herb. And thank you.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Sad day for sure. John Gordon is not even in the same league as Herb!

Comment

Even though Herb had grown old and his voice was starting to weaken I was totally amazed that he never seemed to have lost his ability to relate the game to the fans.  It was a joy to hear him during his three innings or so per home game.  He ratained his total knowledge of the game and his ability to describe it so eloquently for the rest of us.  If I remember right, he worked with Hallsey Hall in a duo which had to be one of the most distinctive broadcast duos ever in sports.

Comment

I'll be 55 next month and this will be the first season that I can remember without Herb on the Twins broadcasts :'(.  If memory serves me correctly he started doing Twins games in their second season, after coming from Baltimore.
          I used to carry a transistor radio everywhere I went so I could listen to Herb and Halsey.  I think Ray Scott was also an early Twins broadcaster.
          An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

growing up in South Dakota before we got FSN all I did was listen to the Twins I grew up with "Touch um all" and him making it sound all great in the mid-late 90's when the Twins were well not that good... The Twins have been blessed with great announcers on the Radio and Television but Herb was something special. You could see in the past years that he wasn't the same but still I loved to listen to his 3 innings.

Comment

"Touch 'em all" is John Gordon's signature.

I spent many hours driving down the road on a summer evening with my window down and Herb on the radio. Whenver you heard that voice you just felt there was something right with the world. I also had the chance to meet him a couple of times and he was one of the most gracious people you could ever hope to meet. God bless you Herb, and thank you for what you meant to us!

Comment

I have always preferred to listen to Herb and the Twins on the radio. Even with FSN and the increased availability of television I always had the game on the radio. If you come to my house during baseball season you can be assured that the Twins will be on the radio in the garage if they are playing that day. Herb was a great man who had a great life that should be celebrated and not mourned. He'll be missed and never forgotten, great man who added to a the great legacy of Twin's baseball, at least for me.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                  I have always preferred to listen to Herb and the Twins on the radio.  Even with FSN and the increased availability of television I always had the game on the radio.  If you come to my house during baseball season you can be assured that the Twins will be on the radio in the garage if they are playing that day.  Herb was a great man who had a great life that should be celebrated and not mourned.  He'll be missed and never forgotten, great man who added to a the great legacy of Twin's baseball, at least for me.
                  JackMD- I was the same way until Herb began to phase out. I do not care for John Gordon's style as half the time he goes way out of his way to not appear partial towards the Twins. IMHO he seems to downplay a Twins great play and accentuate a Twins strikeout or a great play by the opposing team. I think Dick Bremer and Bert Blyleven have great chemistry, excitement and insight than Gordon/Gladden.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher
                    "Touch 'em all" is John Gordon's signature.

I spent many hours driving down the road on a summer evening with my window down and Herb on the radio. Whenver you heard that voice you just felt there was something right with the world. I also had the chance to meet him a couple of times and he was one of the most gracious people you could ever hope to meet. God bless you Herb, and thank you for what you meant to us!
                    You know after I posted that it hit me that it was Gordon that said that... Man im embarresing myself now, Gordon is ok I liked Dan and I liked when Jack Morris subbed in accouple of times.

Comment

Working...
                    X