Kirkeby-Over Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirkeby-Over Stadium

Augustana's new Football Stadium is making fast progress as they just put down the new field-turf. I think while this stadium will hold just 6500 in a bowl like setting is small in stature will be a very fan friendly facility. I know many here want to retain our natural grass I really like the look of these new surfaces. Here are some pictures: Pan all the way over to the right to see the latest picture with the new field turf shot.

http://www.goaugie.com/custompages/g...newFBstadium3/

Re: Kirkeby-Over Stadium

Augie's stadium is based on the one at Gustavus. Main difference is that Augie built up the stands more and the press box is bigger. Gustavus had a somewhat natural bowl at its site which helped with site prep costs. Augie built theirs into the hill. Gustavus has a nice set up for game day, especially those early fall games with great weather. Augie will have at least as much.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Augustana has done a great job with their facilities. From baseball to football, their facilities are as good as any D2 school in the region.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

New pictures: http://www.goaugie.com/custompages/g...newFBstadium4/

Comment

Was just by the new stadium a couple times in the last few days....

That's going to be a real nice facility. Traffic will be a nightmare, but the facility itself looks to be really well integrated into the landscape.

Much more impressive than the USF thing out on the windswept flats south of town.

Too bad there are NO hills in Brookings (coming from Pierre, I thought "Hillcrest Park" was an absurd designation---then I found out that Larson "Hill" is an old landfill.)

Comment

Latest April pictures: http://www.augie.edu/augustana-athle...ction-progress

I have to believe this will be one of the nicest football stadiums in all of DII.

Comment

Interesting pictures. I know very little about construction, and had no idea that the seating construstion is cemete beam construction. I had thought concreted was poured but with an accending height, it would be a next to impossible task. Dahh, I guess I learn something every day. The purchase and installation of the beams has to added up to a big cost.

This does look to be a very nice facility. I hope they get it completed without having to scale back anything due to funds not being available. I understand, its been a one time gift of 6 million, and you wonder how far that will go with rising costs etc. Far enough you hope says the Augie President.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Interesting pictures. I know very little about construction, and had no idea that the seating construstion is cemete beam construction. I had thought concreted was poured but with an accending height, it would be a next to impossible task. Dahh, I guess I learn something every day. The purchase and installation of the beams has to added up to a big cost.

This does look to be a very nice facility. I hope they get it completed without having to scale back anything due to funds not being available. I understand, its been a one time gift of 6 million, and you wonder how far that will go with rising costs etc. Far enough you hope says the Augie President.
                pre-fabricated concrete structures are actually pretty common . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  pre-fabricated concrete structures are actually pretty common . . .
                  I am sure they are. I am a little slow and just happened notice by the pictures how this was coming together and was surprised. I dont recall how CAS was put together in early 1960's, but had thought pouring was part of the procedure, but maybe it was not. That would have made it labor intensive. It would be neat if some one came up with some photos CAS in progress. I just dont recall see cranes, but they could have been there and prefab might have been used even back then.

A few years ago, I spent a day or two looking around Larmine Wyo and noticed they had added or built additional seating beyond the orginal seating. I would suspect that was prefabricated beams and supports. I would think the same could be done at CAS if not for engineering reports that indicate structual weakness.

Comment

New pictures: http://www.goaugie.com/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=32

Comment

I am pretty interested in seeing this stadium in action, so I'm going to throw this idea out there. Since the Jacks don't start until Sept. 12 against Georgia Southern, should we have a little get together and crash the opening of Kirkeby-Over Stadium on Sept. 5?

We could conspicously wear Jackrabbits gear and do a little first hand recon on what the new stadium experience is all about. I do not know if Augustana allows anything resembling tailgating on gameday, but if they do that would just be a bonus. Just a little warm up for Sept. 12 in Brookings.
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I'm also interested in seeing some games in the new stadium that don't conflict with Jack's games. July 17th pictures in the new stadium that is almost complete.

http://www.goaugie.com/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=33

Comment

Its new, its nice and its small and it fits Augies needs for football. In terms of atomsphere run down old CAS is still my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Its new, its nice and its small and it fits Augies needs for football. In terms of atomsphere run down old CAS is still my preference.
                            It is new, nice, and smaller than Coughlin, but isn't it hard to judge the atmosphere when they haven't had a game at the stadium yet?
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                              It is new, nice, and smaller than Coughlin, but isn't it hard to judge the atmosphere when they haven't had a game at the stadium yet?
                              Yeah I guess so, I for one am not about to drive from Arlington to watch a Augie football game. If they got atomsphere, fine! If their program does really catch on I think they might regret not building permenant seating on both sides, but I suppose the bleachers could be removed and replaced with concrete construction. Brad Salem is a good coach and they are improving each year so who knows. Being close to 41st street is probably a better access than Howard Wood where they have failed miserably for decades to draw more than 4000. That usually happened when they played SDSU. Other games 2000 was a good crowd.

Comment

Working...
                              X