USF to D-II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USF to D-II?

Stu writes a decent article and even compliments SDSU.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...39/1002/sports

The Cougars have seen other schools, most notably South Dakota State, make bold re-classification moves and improve their standing.

So suffice it to say that it's not a question of "if" the Cougars leave NAIA behind and chase their NCAA fortunes. It's only a matter of when, and how their future unfolds thereafter.

Re: USF to D-II?

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Stu writes a decent article and even compliments SDSU.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...39/1002/sports

The Cougars have seen other schools, most notably South Dakota State, make bold re-classification moves and improve their standing.

So suffice it to say that it's not a question of "if" the Cougars leave NAIA behind and chase their NCAA fortunes. It's only a matter of when, and how their future unfolds thereafter.

That's the nicest thing Stu has said about SDSU in 6 years.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      That's the nicest thing Stu has said about SDSU in 6 years.

Go Jacks!!
      And it wasn't even in a backhanded way!
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think this move will happen in the next 5 years. USF is well funded and has alumnists and friends/families with deep pockets. They also have many corporate sponsorship opportunities by being in Sioux Falls and a President and Athletic Director with plenty of vision to make the move. I'm not sure which conference they would expect to get in as the NSCI seems pretty full at the moment.

Comment

OMG, what will Craig Mattick think? If it was his way USF would be a high school team because the lower the classification of football, the better it is.

I'm guessing we will find out this afternoon as Stu is on KWSN today.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I think this move will happen in the next 5 years. USF is well funded and has alumnists and friends/families with deep pockets. They also have many corporate sponsorship opportunities by being in Sioux Falls and a President and Athletic Director with plenty of vision to make the move. I'm not sure which conference they would expect to get in as the NSCI seems pretty full at the moment.
            Potential conference membership would be a problem. Here's a hypothetical, USF does move up with interest or willingness to go to a full scholarship allotment for D2. Do the old NCC teams of the NSIC and uno get involved in some sort of new conference?

Comment

This is a subject worth watching as being local is a big help for both USF and Augie. How this affects the ongoing efforts in building followings in Sioux Falls by SDSU is hard to say, but it could be a problem down the road, if USF people makes progress in forming corporate sponsorships. I do think some corporations like to spread their money around for image and exposure, so I suppose everyone with hand extend might receive something from some of these large concerns.

So far USF seems to be progressing like never before, so lets see what happens. After the Sanford gift, there have not been many that I am aware of and Stu mentions that there is still work to be done in completing the new USF staduim.

Plus USF has KWSN that seems to have a good working relationship and they get a lot of push. Also KWSN is local so they dont have to worry about places north of Sioux Falls as their bread and butter is in SF and their signal is hardly audible north of the Prairie Junction.

I think too, of the fact that Willey Sanchez, USF AD, attended all of SDSU open forums on the move to D1. No doubt he was looking for direction and whether these meeting helped only Willy Sanchez can tell you.

Comment

Gees, I hope we don't have to worry about NAIA or DII private schools getting funds we should. I prefer to think it won't make one lick of difference, but I could be wrong.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  OMG, what will Craig Mattick think? If it was his way USF would be a high school team because the lower the classification of football, the better it is.
                  I guess I will never know what Craig thinks. I took his advice several years ago when he said if you don't agree, turn the station. I did and have no plans on returning to listen to a second rate "sports" radio program.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Gees, I hope we don't have to worry about NAIA or DII private schools getting funds we should. I prefer to think it won't make one lick of difference, but I could be wrong.
                    I said I was interested in the subject, but never implied worry of any sort. I am sure, right now, Augie and USF do not have the internal staff to give SDSU anything to worry about in terms of fund raising and gaining corporate sponsorships. I do see Willie Sanchez as a progressive guy and given the resources, he could make an impact on the growth of their budget. From what you read in the Argus, the USF President seems to be pro-active around Sioux Falls. Yes this what our good friend Stu Whitney wants us to believe. My circle of friends and acquaintences do not include the inter social circles of SF, so I only have the Argus to depend on for information.

If I learned one thing from history, and there could be a parallel, is that powers in Europe and USA chose to under-estimate a little corporal from Austria and this turned out be a horrible mistake. These little private schools should never be under-estimated especially if they are located in a city of 150k.

Comment

"Wouldn't it be cool if USF & Augie were in the same conference and played each other in everything?"

Sounds an awful lot like "Wouldn't it be cool if SDSU & USD were playing each other in everything?"

The column had the same amount of thought put into USF getting into the NSIC as USD getting into the Summit or MVFC.

First, the NSIC has said that it's biggest problem right now is the number of schools for the size of institutions involved. If that is so, why would they want to expand in a market they already in.

Second, do you think Augie wants to share with USF it's status as the school in the conference that is now considered by many as the successor of the NCC as a premier D2 conference? A sellout FB game every other year and a sellout BB game each year do not mean that your budget worries are over.

Would the NSIC want to add one team? If not who else would be in the position to come in. UNO had been looking to get into its current conference for some time, so I doubt they would want back in.

Wouldn't it be cool if reality only applied when I wanted it to?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X