Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metrodome's not bad when its snowing outside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metrodome's not bad when its snowing outside!

I remember watching the Twins in the old Met stadium on some nice summer days.  I have the Orioles game on the radio right now--it's tied 2 all going to the bottom of the seventh.  (I also have the NCAA Women on the TV watching for filbert)

Does anyone remember what the Twins did when the season opened and they didn't have a dome?  It would be impossible to play baseball outside today in Minneapolis.  What's the plan if a new outdoor stadium is constructed?  Home openers only after May 15?

Go Jacks!

Re: Metrodome's not bad when its snowing outside!

I enjoy watching the Twins in the Metrodome. I know that there won't be a rainout after driving 10 hours to the game. There won't be wind. I won't get sunburned.

For some statistics about Twin Cities weather and how it should affect the Twins go here: http://twinsballpark.mlblogs.com/twi...outside_d.html

Comment

Retractable roof. Open when 70 degrees and beautiful, closed when cold and rainy. Pretty easy solution, just find the money. I'm not making a 6 hour trip to the Twin Cities with no guaruntee for a game. Just my opinion.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        Retractable roof.  Open when 70 degrees and beautiful, closed when cold and rainy.  Pretty easy solution, just find the money.  I'm not making a 6 hour trip to the Twin Cities with no guaruntee for a game.  Just my opinion.
        Baseball is meant to be played outside. Retractbable roof would work well. As far as no guarantee, well that's life. Last June, I had a once and a lifetime opportunity to see the Red Sox take on the Yankees at Yankee stadium. The game got rained out. The next day we hopped on the train and headed for Boston and had tickets to see the Red Sox/Rangers game. It got rained out. Imagine my disappointment. I'm pretty much sulked in our hotel room for the day. Thankfully, the Ranger game got rescheduled as part of a double header the next day so we made that game. I was able to sell my Red Sox/Yankee tix for 4 x's what I paid for them as the rescheduled that game in September. All in all, great trip. I'm hoping that I can talk my wife into doing it again sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by RLIV
          Baseball is meant to be played outside.  Retractbable roof would work well.  As far as no guarantee, well that's life.  Last June, I had a once and a lifetime opportunity to see the Red Sox take on the Yankees at Yankee stadium.  The game got rained out.  The next day we hopped on the train and headed for Boston and had tickets to see the Red Sox/Rangers game.  It got rained out.  Imagine my disappointment.  I'm pretty much sulked in our hotel room for the day.  Thankfully, the Ranger game got rescheduled as part of a double header the next day so we made that game.  I was able to sell my Red Sox/Yankee tix for 4 x's what I paid for them as the rescheduled that game in September.  All in all, great trip.  I'm hoping that I can talk my wife into doing it again sometime.
          That my friend is interesting. I took my wife to New York in June of 1997. We were planning to attend 2 Yankee games against the Red Sox. The first was rained out but scheduled as a doubleheader the next day. So, I didn't feel so bad. Next day we take the #7 to the Bronx, it had rained all night and morning but stopped just before game time. We entered the stadium, toured the monument park and took our seats along the first base line. Players came out and warmed up and everything seemed a go. Then I see Joe Torre and whoever was managing Boston at the time (I don't care) walking around the outfield with the umpires. Torre is splashing in a small puddle and I'm just praying we aren't screwed. 10 short minutes later they announce the games have been cancelled for the day. I was so disappointed!! We returned to South Dakota the next day without my dream of seeing the Yankees play in Yankee stadium completed. I still haven't made it back.

Now, I like open air and if I were in MN I would attend the games even in inclimate weather. However, with today's technology there is no GOOD reason IMHO not to put a retractable roof on a building that will host at least 81 games a year of which only about 50% will be during decent weather. Again, just my opinion.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
            [quote author=RLIV link=1175652335/0#3 date=1175720399]
            Baseball is meant to be played outside.  Retractbable roof would work well.  As far as no guarantee, well that's life.  Last June, I had a once and a lifetime opportunity to see the Red Sox take on the Yankees at Yankee stadium.  The game got rained out.  The next day we hopped on the train and headed for Boston and had tickets to see the Red Sox/Rangers game.  It got rained out.  Imagine my disappointment.  I'm pretty much sulked in our hotel room for the day.  Thankfully, the Ranger game got rescheduled as part of a double header the next day so we made that game.  I was able to sell my Red Sox/Yankee tix for 4 x's what I paid for them as the rescheduled that game in September.  All in all, great trip.  I'm hoping that I can talk my wife into doing it again sometime.
            That my friend is interesting.  I took my wife to New York in June of 1997.  We were planning to attend 2 Yankee games against the Red Sox.  The first was rained out but scheduled as a doubleheader the next day.  So, I didn't feel so bad.  Next day we take the #7 to the Bronx, it had rained all night and morning but stopped just before game time.  We entered the stadium, toured the monument park and took our seats along the first base line.  Players came out and warmed up and everything seemed a go.  Then I see Joe Torre and whoever was managing Boston at the time (I don't care) walking around the outfield with the umpires.  Torre is splashing in a small puddle and I'm just praying we aren't screwed.  10 short minutes later they announce the games have been cancelled for the day.  I was so disappointed!!  We returned to South Dakota the next day without my dream of seeing the Yankees play in Yankee stadium completed.  I still haven't made it back.

Now, I like open air and if I were in MN I would attend the games even in inclimate weather.  However, with today's technology there is no GOOD reason IMHO not to put a retractable roof on a building that will host at least 81 games a year of which only about 50% will be during decent weather.  Again, just my opinion.[/quote]

Sounds like we've had a similar experience at Yankee Stadium. When I was about 12 years old I traveled to NY with my best friend (jackrabbit 1979). I got to see the Yankees (79's team) play the Tigers twice with jack79 and his dad. I would like to make it back there before they close the park. However, if you ever have the chance to see Fenway, take it. That place is amazing. The feeling I got just being there is...well, I don't know how to describe it. Tickets are a bit pricey for Fenway though. Do the stadium tour as well. I took about 75 pictures during the tour, got to sit on top of the green monster, sat in the press box, etc. I think our next historic park visit will be Wrigley. Unless I can some how get back to Fenway

Comment

[quote author=jackmd link=1175652335/0#4 date=1175722496][quote author=RLIV link=1175652335/0#3 date=1175720399]
              That my friend is interesting.  I took my wife to New York in June of 1997.  We were planning to attend 2 Yankee games against the Red Sox.  The first was rained out but scheduled as a doubleheader the next day.  So, I didn't feel so bad.  Next day we take the #7 to the Bronx, it had rained all night and morning but stopped just before game time.  We entered the stadium, toured the monument park and took our seats along the first base line.  Players came out and warmed up and everything seemed a go.  Then I see Joe Torre and whoever was managing Boston at the time (I don't care) walking around the outfield with the umpires.  Torre is splashing in a small puddle and I'm just praying we aren't screwed.  10 short minutes later they announce the games have been cancelled for the day.  I was so disappointed!!  We returned to South Dakota the next day without my dream of seeing the Yankees play in Yankee stadium completed.  I still haven't made it back.

Now, I like open air and if I were in MN I would attend the games even in inclimate weather.  However, with today's technology there is no GOOD reason IMHO not to put a retractable roof on a building that will host at least 81 games a year of which only about 50% will be during decent weather.  Again, just my opinion.[/quote]

Sounds like we've had a similar experience at Yankee Stadium.  When I was about 12 years old I traveled to NY with my best friend (jackrabbit 1979).  I got to see the Yankees (79's team) play the Tigers twice with jack79 and his dad.  I would like to make it back there before they close the park.  However, if you ever have the chance to see Fenway, take it.  That place is amazing.  The feeling I got just being there is...well, I don't know how to describe it.  Tickets are a bit pricey for Fenway though.  Do the stadium tour as well.  I took about 75 pictures during the tour, got to sit on top of the green monster, sat in the press box, etc.  I think our next historic park visit will be Wrigley.  Unless I can some how get back to Fenway  
              [/quote]

This is going a little off topic, but I love talking about old stadiums. When I was younger, went to the old Met in the Cities. Had a blast there. Went for both baseball and football. Went to some real cold FB and if you dressed for it, it was great. Baseball was always fun outside. Never really cared for the Twins, but enjoyed watching outdoor games.

Although, my favorite place to watch is Wrigley (never been to Fenway or Yankee Stadium). When you walk into Wrigley you smell stale beer that has been soaking into the concrete for years and brats on the grill. Then you walk out the tunnel to your seating and the ivy and fesh cut grass couldn't get any better. The first time I went I thought I could die and wouldn't feel like I missed anything in life.

I agree the Twins should look at a retractable roof, especially in the early season. IMHO

Comment

As far as no guarantee, well that's life.  Last June, I had a once and a lifetime opportunity to see the Red Sox take on the Yankees at Yankee stadium.  The game got rained out.
                This was just Babe smiling down, not wanting to let a Red Sox fan into his house.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

One of the neat things about MLB in my mind is the fact that the venues have so much history in them.  I have been to a handful of stadiums (Yankee, Shea, Wrigley, Metrodome, KC Royals, Anaheim) and I enjoyed them all, but you can really tell when you are someplace special.  One of the other aspects that really matters is who you are with.  I have been to Yankee Stadium for approximately 40 games and as a diehard fan I try to remember them all, but I can name about three or four that I will really never forget and it was more about the people around me versus the game or stadium.  I'll always remember my first time, I was eight.    If you don't want your kid to be a Yankee fan, don't take them there young because I was sold from that moment on.  The grass so green as I held onto my pops hand coming out the tunnel. The pinstripes, the facade, the smells, bronx cheers, Bob Sheppard on the PA, Sinatra and "New York, New York" after the win, I was done.  From that point on through the last twenty years, the games with by bestfriend, brother, and then a few years ago taking my wife will always be remembered.  That's what really makes them unique.  I had the opportunity to do the stadium tour a few years ago and like RLIV said it is well worth it.  I got a number of those "what are you doing or thinking" type looks from my wife as I acted like an 8 year old kid again.

I went to Wrigley two summers ago and while it was great and a stadium I always wanted to see, it was in the middle of a business trip so I didn't have anyone around me that really made it great.  That same summer I took my oldest son to his first game at the Metrodome and neither of us being huge Twins fan we had an amazing time.  Much more memorable than Wrigley - and thats coming from a History guy.  Baseball is just such a dad/son, brother, friend/family type game to me, I think that really makes the difference.

BTW, the new Yankee Stadium is scheduled to open in 2009, and I am sure it will be great as they are trying to save and even bring some of the old history and design back.  But, if you haven't seen the original I would highly recommend the next two summers to try and go, it's something any sports fan won't ever forget.  I plan to get out there next summer with both of my sons to show them the magic before its gone.

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                    [quote author=RLIV link=1175652335/0#3 date=1175720399]   As far as no guarantee, well that's life.  Last June, I had a once and a lifetime opportunity to see the Red Sox take on the Yankees at Yankee stadium.  The game got rained out.
                    This was just Babe smiling down, not wanting to let a Red Sox fan into his house.   [/quote]

I'm wearing my Red Sox sweatshirt today...Dice K!!!! But, even I'm smart enough not to wear Red Sox gear into Yankee Stadium. I've worn my orange John Elway Jersey while sitting in the second row, 40 yard line of Arrowhead Stadium in K.C....but I'm not messing with New Yorkers

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                      Baseball is just such a dad/son, brother, friend/family type game to me, I think that really makes the difference.
                      I echo your thoughts. While going to grad school in Milwaukee, my parents came to visit and since I am a die hard Cubs fan my dad and I traveled 90 miles south to go to a game at Wrigley Field. Riding the city bus and finally pulling up in front of Wrigley Field in the middle of a neighborhood was such a rush. Then when we got into the ball park and walked around it was very interesting seeing the outfield ivy, the apts. across the street and Lake Michigan in the background.

Comment

Working...
                      X