JackFlash with another GoJacks b*tch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackFlash with another GoJacks b*tch

I originally typed this as a response in the White and Fiegen signing thread started by 89 in MBB, but realized it didn't fit there (Those two signings, along with Carlson's, are awesome.) Hence the opening sentence here.

Why aren't these signings up on GoJacks? The volleyball recruits? The softball recruits? I may be sounding like a broken record with this post and others on different threads, but I am continually disappointed with certain aspects of GoJacks' coverage. In this case, the message the school conveys is that WBB is the only group of recruits that matters. Granted, I do not know the details or challenges associated with the site, but there are certain items that must be covered (i.e. updated rosters, media day, all signings, all Coach's shows - that are actually part of the paid portion of the site) that haven't been. I get the sense that some of these things have been done in the past only because of JJ going above and beyond to volunteer his time. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that, but at the end of the day the school has to do better. These items spread the word on SDSU and are paramount to raising awareness and prestige for potential recruits (and help to curb some cantankerous alums insatiable desire for information). I am sure I don't have to sell anyone here on how much kids (young and old) surf for information and look to see who is keeping up with the Jones's. While I don't think that last is the end all, to an extent it plays a factor with many.

In all fairness, GoJacks has been fairly on top of signings in the past; but I did expect to see all the team's write-ups this morning - and still haven't yet. The site does a good job of punctual and well written results. I would like to see "them" (whoever that is) match that level of coverage with those items I complained about earlier. Especially if one is paying for it.

OK, running out of steam - I will now go into defilade as I can already hear the incoming to set me straight.

Go Jacks! Beat Colorado!

Re: JackFlash with another GoJacks b*tch

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
    I originally typed this as a response in the White and Fiegen signing thread started by 89 in MBB, but realized it didn't fit there (Those two signings, along with Carlson's, are awesome.) Hence the opening sentence here.

Why aren't these signings up on GoJacks? The volleyball recruits? The softball recruits? I may be sounding like a broken record with this post and others on different threads, but I am continually disappointed with certain aspects of GoJacks' coverage. In this case, the message the school conveys is that WBB is the only group of recruits that matters. Granted, I do not know the details or challenges associated with the site, but there are certain items that must be covered (i.e. updated rosters, media day, all signings, all Coach's shows - that are actually part of the paid portion of the site) that haven't been. I get the sense that some of these things have been done in the past only because of JJ going above and beyond to volunteer his time. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that, but at the end of the day the school has to do better. These items spread the word on SDSU and are paramount to raising awareness and prestige for potential recruits (and help to curb some cantankerous alums insatiable desire for information). I am sure I don't have to sell anyone here on how much kids (young and old) surf for information and look to see who is keeping up with the Jones's. While I don't think that last is the end all, to an extent it plays a factor with many.

In all fairness, GoJacks has been fairly on top of signings in the past; but I did expect to see all the team's write-ups this morning - and still haven't yet. The site does a good job of punctual and well written results. I would like to see "them" (whoever that is) match that level of coverage with those items I complained about earlier. Especially if one is paying for it.

OK, running out of steam - I will now go into defilade as I can already hear the incoming to set me straight.

Go Jacks! Beat Colorado!
    Couldn't agree more. Going DI should be done in all things, updated athletics website included.

Comment

Totally agree. Who is responsible for contacting the coaches to get the info? Or, is this a coach problem with them not sending out the information?

Comment

From what I heard about this subject last year is that the delay in posting this type of information is delayed for a reason. The athletic department feels that every recruiting class deserves their day in the sun. Therefore, they spread out the signings of the classes over several weeks.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

And in some cases coaches are waiting for all of their recruits to send in their NLIs so they can send the press release out with the whole recruiting class included. Remember that the NLI early signing period lasts a week (Nov. 12-19). With that said, maybe there are more recruits out there the coaches are hoping to land before the 19th. I would keep your eye on www.gojacks.com and wait to pass judgement until the signing period is actually over.

Comment

The points about NLI's are right on target. Everything needs to be lined up carefully before these are publicized extensively.

In a general sense, though, I also want to defend the SID's office here. Jason and Ryan have 21 sports to cover, plus a Web site to update. And this period is the most difficult time of the year with fall and winter sports overlapping. It's just crazy for everybody right now.

They would be the first to tell you they would like to have everything up to date instantly (just as I would love to have all my videos done more quickly) but they're just overextended. Those guys work very hard and I would hate for anyone to think they're doing anything other than working their tails off.

The criticism here is fair. JackFlash is a true fan who has an insatiable interest in goings on in SDSU athletics. That is great. And we'll get to a point where staffing catches up to everything else. The department rightly chose to fund scholarships first. But there are going to be bumps in the road. In the meantime, I'd encourage fans like JackFlash to keep asking questions and pushing everyone to get better. That's a good thing. Nothing changes unless people point out problems. Keep it up.

Bottom line: It's fair for fans to be upset. But Jason and Ryan work as hard as anybody on campus. They do a great job, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. I know exactly how they feel.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

JJ,
              Thanks for continuing to pull back the curtain and allowing us to get a glimpse of what goes on in some of the departments on campus. I can see now that there are very valid reasons for some of the signing day releases not being published. I can also understand the difficulties a short handed shop has in getting everything done, especially now with so many sports overlapping - even more so with soccer season extended. (If extended seasons continue to add to the workload, I will gladly lower my expectations as to the rapidity of the SID's updates - until they get up to speed with hired hands. I know that they share our exuberance over extended seasons.)
              I have to agree with funding scholarships first. Next, I hope the intent is to fund all the necessary coaching positions. After those two items, look at where else in the department people need to be brought in.
              Lastly, a shout out to Jason and Ryan - for the most part I think GoJacks does an exceptional job. Now that I have the rest of the story, I can understand better the challenges you face. The last thing I want you (or anyone for that matter) to feel is unappreciated when you are busting your ass. Understaffing is the institutions decision/responsibility to fix.
              If you do get some extra help in the future (I'll include JJ here), could you focus first on getting all the taped Coach's shows and home matches/games posted to the on demand section of GoJacks? Many times this is the only means I have to see the teams in action. Thanks to all who pitch in to make GoJacks happen. It is definitely an improvement and continues to get better. I will dampen my expectations in the short term until we can get enough hands on the oars.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
                JJ,
                If you do get some extra help in the future (I'll include JJ here), could you focus first on getting all the taped Coach's shows and home matches/games posted to the on demand section of GoJacks? Many times this is the only means I have to see the teams in action. Thanks to all who pitch in to make GoJacks happen. It is definitely an improvement and continues to get better. I will dampen my expectations in the short term until we can get enough hands on the oars.
                That's all on me. Hearing that it's important to you will make me work harder to get those things done. Keep the feedback coming. Sometimes you forget that anybody cares deeply about this stuff because you're sort of working in a vacuum.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

GoJacks is one of the first places I check everyday on news of the teams at State, the Argus is in there too with the great Terry Vandrovec. So current updates are important to me. You do a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                    Totally agree. Who is responsible for contacting the coaches to get the info? Or, is this a coach problem with them not sending out the information?
                    SID's job to get info to the right places
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Man, I was confused when I read the heading on this thread. I thought the B word was being used in the noun sense, not the verb sense. Really confused me there.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

You need to stop listening to that Snoop Dogg MJA

Comment

Working...
                        X