Playoff Hopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff Hopes

I figured this article deserved its own thread as there has been playoff talk in many other threads. We can centralize it here starting off with Terry's article.

NOTE: We need to do a much better job of linking Terry's articles on the fan board so they get maximum traffic. We've (myself included) been really slacking in that area the past couple of months. To help right the ship I've posted 3 of his articles the past 10 minutes .

Nearing end, Jacks keep up playoff hopes
    Tough road tests ahead
    Terry Vandrovec • November 10, 2008

BROOKINGS - There's snow on the ground and the South Dakota State football team is still in the postseason picture.

Since opening October with consecutive - and rare - home losses, the Jackrabbits have rattled off three straight wins by 30 points or more, something that hadn't happened since 1954. They are in a three-way tie atop the Missouri Valley Football Conference with two rigorous road games remaining in the longest regular season in school history.

"This is exactly what we needed to do," said senior quarterback Ryan Berry, who threw a school and league record seven touchdown passes in a 52-21 victory against Illinois State on Saturday and was named Missouri Valley Football Conference offensive player of the week on Sunday, "to go into these last two weeks with confidence and momentum and keeping our playoff chances alive."

"Winners respond," coach John Stiegelmeier said. "Winners find a way to get something positive out of every situation and our guys have done that. We've got some momentum here, but we've got a lot of work to do yet."

(read more)

Re: Playoff Hopes

After reading the article please take a moment to report the first 2 idiotic comments. Thanks for the links BT.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Nice comeback to that Punk of a poster over at the Argus MJA. I'd give you rep points, but there's no such thing on AL site...sorry..

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I've heard some argue that 4 losses is the issue that makes us not deserving of an at-large bid. Thats crap plan and simple. If the reality is that a 9-3 team that played a weak schedule is more deserving than an 8-4 team that played a schedule as tough as ours then things need to change. Any one individual who has a vote in deciding what teams make the playoffs ought to be intelligent and understand sports enough to know that looking only at a teams record is not sufficient. If we win out, thats a big if and we all know that, we will have 8 wins against very quality opponents. Some will downplay the victory over SFA but fact is its a win on the road over a team from a well-respected conference.

Getting 2 road wins over highly rated and well-respected teams to cap off 5 straight wins to end the season with losses coming to two top 10 teams, a top 20 ranked team, and an FBS school rounds out our resume as a playoff team. Any voter, fan, coach, or player who doesn't believe we are one of the top teams not recieving an autobid will be mistaken. All that said, we could be on the outside looking in. I shudder to think about it. We have a lot of work to do before I have to worry about someone else deciding our fate.

Maybe we should have had the yotes and sue on our schedule instead of Cal-Poly and McNeese? Is that the message some people are trying to convey? Play easily beatable teams to avoid losses? The argument that 4 losses excludes us is plain stupid, especially in a season with 12 DI games on the schedule.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

That poster sounds like that 15 year old kid, SD4ever that no one could stand and was subsequently banned for good from here. Jackbunny land? That's his moniker.

Back to the playoff hunt. I would like to think we will come out guns blazing and get up early on the road. That would be huge in a game like this.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            That poster sounds like that 15 year old kid, SD4ever that no one could stand and was subsequently banned for good from here. Jackbunny land? That's his moniker.

Back to the playoff hunt. I would like to think we will come out guns blazing and get up early on the road. That would be huge in a game like this.
            Agreed, ignore the morons. They are way to ignorant to understand even the most logical discussions. I was thinking it was Stu or Mick but I bet you're right, it sounds like 4ever.

Comment

If you guys win out your a stone cold lock, no way the committee doesn't take a team that was 7-1 in MVFC play, won its last five games, played one of the toughest games in the country, and beat SIU head to head(assuming they finish 8-3). That said, you guys got a tough road ahead of you, the next two games are going to be battles.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                If you guys win out your a stone cold lock, no way the committee doesn't take a team that was 7-1 in MVFC play, won its last five games, played one of the toughest games in the country, and beat SIU head to head(assuming they finish 8-3). That said, you guys got a tough road ahead of you, the next two games are going to be battles.
                That is without a doubt. A win in Fargo would be a huge monkey off the Jacks football program, but without a win this weekend it would not matter nearly enough and SIU hasn't lost at home in two years or something. They still have to look at this deal as 1-0 every week and not look ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  I would like to think we would get in with wins in the last two games, but I can speak from experience, Fargo is a bad place for the Jacks. We cannot get over the hump there. I think this is the best chance we have had in 30 years, but that game is going to be a battle.
                  Also it doesn't mean much if we don't beat SIU this weekend.

Looking forward to next year, this conference is going to be even tougher. You know NDSU will not have the same season like this one, and most other teams will just re-load.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                    You know NDSU will not have the same season like this one, and most other teams will just re-load.
                    As will the Jacks (reload that is)!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      As will the Jacks (reload that is)!!!
                      Yes we will.

Comment

If Nick Mertens continues to play bad (read the Bison blog game threads) the Jacks may have a chance to beat the Bison at their place.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                          If Nick Mertens continues to play bad (read the Bison blog game threads) the Jacks may have a chance to beat the Bison at their place.
                          I don't think it depends on Mertens alone. We're better on defense and have an equal, al biet different running game. I've seen our team play well and play poorly, if we play well or even reasonably well, we will beat NDSU in Fargo.

Comment

The game this weekend is WAY bigger than the game in Fargo...I guess that's obvious. I also believe it would be our biggest DI victory to date if we beat SIU on the road. The game last year didn't have playoff implications and we had the convenience of being at home.

Comment

The playoffs effectively start this weekend for the Jacks . . . win and keep playing, lose and (probably) hang it up after the Bison game.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X