This year's roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year's roster

The roster is finally up, with some glaring ommissions - most notably Ryan Meyer. Few other young wrestlers I was hoping to see develop as well - Stratton Havlik, Brady Punt. We are really thin at HWT. Can anyone shed light on why these guys aren't wrestling this year?

Overall though it is good to see the numbers increase. If Meyer is gone, that is a big loss - but I think this looks like the strongest roster we have had for several years.

Re: This year's roster

I am surprised by Ryan Meyer not being on the roster. That is a huge loss. If Stripling can stay healthy we should be fine at HWT. Also, I believe I remember hearing Everson is ineligible this semester because of grades.

Can't comment much on depth and talent, but it sure would be nice to have Meyer in the mix.

Comment

Yes Everson is out this semester with grades. Punt was a mix of bad grades and quitting at the semester last year.

Comment

so what is the deal on Ryan Meyer, will he be back?

Comment

meyer is gone and will not be coming back..a loss yes...but moving fwd

sorenson is looking to get back into the room soon and was working very hard before the injury...look for good things out of him this year

Comment

Can anyone share why? Is Ryan transferring? Is he still in school? It will be a big loss for the team, but I hope he has his head on straight and finishes his degree.

Comment

I was impressed with several of our freshman this weekend, they will do good things for the team. It will be good to get Srorenson back on the mat as we will need his points but well also need him in a leadership roll for the rest of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
                Can anyone share why? Is Ryan transferring? Is he still in school? It will be a big loss for the team, but I hope he has his head on straight and finishes his degree.
                This was on the bottom end of an Argus article about the football team:

Wrestler calls it quits

Ryan Meyer, the first student-athlete to qualify for a national tournament in any sport in the Division I era at SDSU, has quit the wrestling team.

According to Jacks coach Jason Liles, Meyer, a 165-pound junior and two-time South Dakota prep champion at Parkston, stopped showing up to workouts about three weeks ago. Liles also acknowledged that Meyer remains in school, but would not comment on what the departure means to the team.
                Meyer went 23-13 and qualified for the Division I tournament as redshirt freshman. Last year, he went 21-11 and was ranked as high as 20th nationally. He did not return a message seeking comment.

"We work these kids very hard, try to prepare them for a tough schedule," Liles said. "We know it's very demanding - and we want kids that want to do the work. We want to see how good they can be, and to do that you have to work very hard."

(read more)

Comment

still havent heard when Sorenson will be able to compete ? has any one heard anything ? to be a champion you have to train like one. keep up the good work coach.

Comment

Sorenson is looking to get back to some light wrestling and weight training next week and will then ease back into
                    might be 1st of the year before he is on the mat...which is ok...want him to be healthy for the end of the year

Comment

Any word on why Meyer quit the team? Wrestling takes a tremendous amount of dedication and is also hell on a body. Possible he just could have gotten burned out I guess. It is disappointing though, I thought he had an awesome shot to make it back to the National Tournament and possible win some matches.

Comment

Working...
                      X