X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Illinois Game Thread

Someone needed to start, here we go!

Re: Southern Illinois Game Thread

I guess this one was accidentally started for the ISU game, so should we reuse it or is that Bad Karma??

Just wanted to get something started, due to the fact this maybe the biggest game for SDSU football in a long, long time, or at least last year's NDSU game and would argue this weekends is bigger.

Win, still a chance at Playoffs...Lose, and no playoffs!!!

Honestly there should be more talk of Road-Trips and such(filled the tank up for $1.89 gallon last night at Hy-Vee), but I'll leave the "SDSU average fan in November Interest-level" alone since there are no more home games.

I'm hoping that our boys being all healed up since the first half of the WIU game will bode well for our chances in Carbondale against the SkinnyPuppies!!

Thoughts??

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I wonder how the familiarity of the opposing coaches with one another (Stig v former UND coach Dale Lennon) affects game prep. Lennon took over a talented Saluki roster but coaches must have a "signature" and I wonder if his style, play calling etc. will make this game, for the coaches, a touch more predictable than playing a program with an unknown coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I wonder how the familiarity of the opposing coaches with one another (Stig v former UND coach Dale Lennon) affects game prep. Lennon took over a talented Saluki roster but coaches must have a "signature" and I wonder if his style, play calling etc. will make this game, for the coaches, a touch more predictable than playing a program with an unknown coaching staff.
        Stig said when we taped his show Sunday night that the familiarity with Lennon and his staff (many were at UND) is a big deal in preparing for this game.

Everything SIU does on offense starts with that teensy running back (5'5", 170 lbs). Larry Warner is averaging about 180 offensive yards a game (plus return yards as well.) I watched their game at Northwestern earlier in the year, and Warren is impressive. He hits the hole quickly and is fast to the corner, just the kind of guy who sometimes gives us trouble.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Looking forward to this game. I agree that a smaller guy with speed is a poor matchup for us. It's usually not getting beat to the corner that hurts, it's the cutbacks that occur after a guy has been getting the corner. We match up much better with a big bruising back, but I like our chances. I agree that this is the biggest game in a few decades.

Comment

From the Dawg Blog:

http://www.thesouthern.com/dawgblog/?p=313

The Salukis trade the best rusher in the Missouri Valley Football Conference for its best passer this weekend. South Dakota State quarterback Ryan Berry was my mid-season pick for the league’s offensive player of the year award, and if he keeps up his current pace, might actually win it over Donaldson and Missouri State quarterback Cody Kirby. SDSU runs a pretty nice spread-like offense, punctuated by running back Kyle Minett and Berry’s ability to find the right receivers.

SIU’s pass rush was still pretty good Saturday, and will have to be an exclamation point this weekend. The Saluki secondary seems to be playing pretty well, but won’t be able to stay with all of the Jackrabbits’ receivers if Berry has a lot of time to throw. You saw Lindsey was quick to thank the pressure put on Barr by outside linebackers Chauncey Mixon and James Cloud. As much as I really like Cloud’s game, Mixon has been a real force the last two weeks, and if he’s able to get some paths to the quarterback this weekend, he should be able to score some sacks.

IMHO, anyone who looked at our schedule before the season started knew that this game was going to be critical to SDSU's chances at the post season. Win these two, and I would be extremely disappointed if the Jacks don't get selected as we would be the MVFC co-champion, and our FCS losses would all be to top 10 (at the time played), and two top ten at the end. Riding a 5 game winning streak, with win #4 in Carbondale is part/parcel of being a top, play-off worthy team.

Comment

Enduring this game could be the death of me. And if we win, I'll say the same thing about NDSU. It's tough, I tell ya. If we can protect the QB, prevent crucial turnovers and slow their stud back we'll be in good shape. (Well, duh! This is great insight, eh?) I'm already fretting.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                Enduring this game could be the death of me. And if we win, I'll say the same thing about NDSU. It's tough, I tell ya. If we can protect the QB, prevent crucial turnovers and slow their stud back we'll be in good shape. (Well, duh! This is great insight, eh?) I'm already fretting.
                I'm just plain old damned excited for Saturday. I wish I could be in Illinois but I've got to work this weekend. I'll tell you this much, I'm not ready for our season to be over in 2 weeks and neither are the players or coaches. I'm expecting a battle on Saturday. We certainly need to play a lot better on the O and D line than we did against the last highly ranked team we played (Cal-Poly) or SIU is going to whoop us. We are a lot healthier now and I expect a pretty even match-up. Probably going to come down to turnovers and special teams. The kicking game is going to be HUGE. We need field position to be in our favor early on. A great performance by kick/punt coverage teams and turnovers will likely make the difference in this game.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Early weather report for Carbondale:
                  Predicted high is 47; windy; partly cloudy.

Compared to what we just went through, a pretty nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Early weather report for Carbondale:
                    Predicted high is 47; windy; partly cloudy.

Compared to what we just went through, a pretty nice day!
                    I'm hoping that means South Dakota windy and not Illinois windy. I think windy conditions would benefit us by making Southern Illinois more one dimensional. I have faith in Berry being able to make throws in the wind.

Comment

Windy would not be good, SD windy at least. SIU is the last ranked team in the conference against the pass, but that is probably partially because they are #1 against the run. The more favorable conditions for Berry the better...but after last week, maybe not.

I still think the Jacks need to establish a run game. Herb had 100 against them last week. Otherwise Berry is going to sit back there throwing the ball 50 times and they are going to bring the house at him.

Establish the run and stop the run. And then get some pressure on the qb. This game is going to be tough to win, but it is possible and the Jacks are a good enough team to pull it out.

Comment

Wow, I just saw on the TV blog that he is not going to Carbondale on Saturday, but instead will be covering the h.s. football playoffs. I am very disappointed to see this and realize he pretty much has to do what his bosses say. The live game blog will be missed greatly.

BTW if Garry is going to SUU Saturday, I may throw up on my Sunday Argus and cancel my subscription.

Comment

Here are my beliefs going into this game:

For years at SDSU whenever we would be put in the position we are currently in - win or go home - we've usually come up short. I was a part of some of those teams. It was often discussed how to change the culture of the program from "a nice football team/program" to a "winning football team/program". I think we are finally a winning football team/program. I truly believe that the group of kids who play SDSU football right now have NO DOUBT they are going to win on Saturday and then win again next Saturday. I admired coach Stig greatly before we transitioned to D1, but he has gained even more admiration from me since the move. He has built this program to a perenial power team at a level where we'd only dreamed of being 6 years ago. WE HAVE A LEGIT SHOT AT EARNING A D1 PLAYOFF GAME! Who would have thunk? I just feel like it's going to happen. We got the conference title monkey off our backs last year. This year its the playoff monkey and the Fargo Dome monkey. I truly believe that. More importantly, I know Stig and his players truly believe that.

Positive thoughts, fellow Jacks fans!
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                            Wow, I just saw on the TV blog that he is not going to Carbondale on Saturday, but instead will be covering the h.s. football playoffs. I am very disappointed to see this and realize he pretty much has to do what his bosses say. The live game blog will be missed greatly.

BTW if Garry is going to SUU Saturday, I may throw up on my Sunday Argus and cancel my subscription.
                            It's all hands on deck for SD High School football finals. It's a disappointing decision (Terry won't be at Missouri for the women's game, either) but newspaper editors have to make the decision they think is better for their readers. No doubt any of us would argue that a Missouri-SIU trip would be better, they have their own opinions about that. They have limited resources at the Argus (note that they recently urged Terry Woster into retirement) and tough times for newspapers.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              It's all hands on deck for SD High School football finals. It's a disappointing decision (Terry won't be at Missouri for the women's game, either) but newspaper editors have to make the decision they think is better for their readers. No doubt any of us would argue that a Missouri-SIU trip would be better, they have their own opinions about that. They have limited resources at the Argus (note that they recently urged Terry Woster into retirement) and tough times for newspapers.
                              Or you could just say it like we all know it is. Should I bite my tongue or say more?
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X