Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

An article appeared in today's Argus Leader about SDSU's administration starting the process of replacing CAS. This is very preliminary news but you've got to start somewhere. This a GREAT news.

SDSU looking to study stadium situation
    College approaches regents outlining list of building projects; Foundation to head charge
    Terry Vandrovec • November 5, 2008

By the end of the fall, South Dakota State hopes to begin the process of determining how and when it might be able to replace 46-year-old Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

SDSU president David Chicoine presented the South Dakota Board of Regents an incomplete list of building projects that might move forward in the next 15 years, clearing the way for the SDSU Foundation to solicit funds for concept development. The resulting materials, whether informational or artistic in nature, would then be used as marketing tools to recruit gifts for construction.

Among the first items on the athletic side: a feasibility study for a new football stadium.

(read more)

Re: Replacing Coughlin-Alumni Stadium

Although many love CAS, it is a great idea to start looking how to replace it. A new stadium would help the overall experience, which is key to getting donations, recruits, and obviously getting more fans at the games. I just hope they keep the natural turf, that field is great field to play on.

Comment

I'm in. As soon as I win the Powerball jackpot, I'll pay for the whole thing.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Where would the new field go? I was thinking maybe North of the Backyard or just East of Medary when you turn south off highway 14

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          Where would the new field go? I was thinking maybe North of the Backyard or just East of Medary when you turn south off highway 14
          That is a good question but I'm guessing the plan is to keep the current location. Especially with the Dykhouse Center going up where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            That is a good question but I'm guessing the plan is to keep the current location. Especially with the Dykhouse Center going up where it is.
            I suppose that makes complete sense, not sure why I spaced the Dykhouse Center

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
              Although many love CAS, it is a great idea to start looking how to replace it. A new stadium would help the overall experience, which is key to getting donations, recruits, and obviously getting more fans at the games. I just hope they keep the natural turf, that field is great field to play on.
              They will not keep the turf and rather go with a field turf surface that allows for year around use of the facility which IMHO makes sense. The stadium should have more capacity than to host 10-11 games a year (Brookings High and SDSU).

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                I'm going to go out on a limb, and state that the field doesn't move. I think the plans will ultimately be 1)create a nice east stands with Boxes and Chairs. 2) Bowl in the North end tying into the Dykhouse Center. 3) Renovate/Replace the west stands.

The location is great, and has LOTS of opportunities to upgrade, much more achieveable to do incrementally, and no lost time due to construction (may not have east stands one season) but life moves on.

The ultimate capacity should approach 20-22K or maybe more if Jacks can consistently end up in the top 1/2 of the MoValley.

SDSU has the capacity to become the "Griz of the Great Plains", and a college destination equivalent of the Packers. Our outdoor stadium creates smaller crowds than our domed competitors in NOV/DEC, but it also creates one of the toughest places to get a road win in those wintery conditions. It could pave a path to a FCS championship for the Jacks in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  I'm going to go out on a limb, and state that the field doesn't move. I think the plans will ultimately be 1)create a nice east stands with Boxes and Chairs. 2) Bowl in the North end tying into the Dykhouse Center. 3) Renovate/Replace the west stands.

The location is great, and has LOTS of opportunities to upgrade, much more achieveable to do incrementally, and no lost time due to construction (may not have east stands one season) but life moves on.

The ultimate capacity should approach 20-22K or maybe more if Jacks can consistently end up in the top 1/2 of the MoValley.

SDSU has the capacity to become the "Griz of the Great Plains", and a college destination equivalent of the Packers. Our outdoor stadium creates smaller crowds than our domed competitors in NOV/DEC, but it also creates one of the toughest places to get a road win in those wintery conditions. It could pave a path to a FCS championship for the Jacks in the future.
                  That does make the most sense. I forgot about the Dykehouse center being built for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    They will not keep the turf and rather go with a field turf surface that allows for year around use of the facility which IMHO makes sense. The stadium should have more capacity than to host 10-11 games a year (Brookings High and SDSU).
                    That is a serious shame if they do away with the natural surface. I sure hope this is not the case. As for the funding, if they will give me a skybox, I can give them an I.O.U. to pay for it later. I promise I will when I am not a student anymore.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Best way to 'replace' CAS would be as rabidrabbit said. Go side by side. On summer do the east side and south endzone. Next summer do the west side. If it can all be done in one fell swoop, even better. I would prefer grass but I understand the weather concerns could lead to field turf.
                      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I went to a game there a couple years ago and, though it's holding up, it could use either replacement or a massive facelift.

Then again, I think the UNIDome is starting to show some age.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnCat View Post
                          I went to a game there a couple years ago and, though it's holding up, it could use either replacement or a massive facelift.

Then again, I think the UNIDome is starting to show some age.

UNIDome is definitely aging. I was there last year and noted some serious upgrade needs, especially with the bleacher seating.

As for CAS, I am pretty sure somewhere within the campus master plan there is a section about upgrading CAS. Maybe I am wrong but I understood that an east side grandstand would be added followed by renovation or replacement of the west side grandstand. I am not aware of any plans to replace the turf, its been discussed many times but I don't know how seriously.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

How has the field held up this year?

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJack View Post
                              How has the field held up this year?
                              Beautifully!! There have not been any major or even minor problems. I haven't heard a complaint from any visiting teams.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X