• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermintown

If Vermillion is just like heaven, I think I'd rather go to hell

****Note the theater sign

Re: Vermintown

Looks a lot like downtown Brookings.....before the dust bowl creating, removal of vegitation, wind tunnel construction over-haul of course.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
      Looks a lot like downtown Brookings.....before the dust bowl creating, removal of vegitation, wind tunnel construction over-haul of course.
      I dunno. I mean there was actually traffic downtown and parking spots full.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        I disagree (unless maybe I misunderstand you). Brookings downtown (both before and now during construction) is ALWAYS more busy than this unless it is 4 in the morning. In fact, the livelihood of downtown is rather impressive considering how main streets these days are a dying breed.

Comment

I've always been impressed with the amount of activity on Brookings' main street.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post

Looks like your not the only one who doesn't want to go to heaven.......

Comment

Was this photo taken just prior to the Dakota Days Parade? I have never witness a Dakota Days parade. I must not be missing too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Was this photo taken just prior to the Dakota Days Parade? I have never witness a Dakota Days parade. I must not be missing too much.
                Can't be! The Volante said that "hundreds" of people lined the parade route.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I have to tell you I had some fun on that street.

I attended my first Dakota Days parade in 1976. I was leaning against a building on the street shown in the picture, wearing my SDSU letterjacket. I had not consumed any alcohol...just minding my own business watching the parade. I got some good-natured ribbing. I have no idea who USD played (I checked the media guide and see that in 1976, USD and SDSU tied at 17 but I didn't determine where the game was played).

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                    I disagree (unless maybe I misunderstand you). Brookings downtown (both before and now during construction) is ALWAYS more busy than this unless it is 4 in the morning. In fact, the livelihood of downtown is rather impressive considering how main streets these days are a dying breed.
                    And brookings is more than 1 Block long
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

That theatre sign should be put above George's. Mmmmm, George's!
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I was in Verm-town last year for the state football championships. I have one word to say about the town and main street. DIRTY!!

Comment

Reminds me of the scene in the movie Red Dawn, when the Wolverines first walk into town. The sign at the theater is advertising a showing of Aleksandr Nevsky*. 'Russian scholars' would see the irony in it...

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post

*yeah, i have seen it... and have it on dvd, too

Comment

Damn, now I am going to have to rent it again. Its been a while since I have seen Red Dawn. Back in the days of living at home in Middle School and High School my brother and I would sit and watch that movie any time it came on HBO. Beside that its right up there with the Outsiders as far as star studded casts.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                            X