Shots at the NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shots at the NFL

This is just an opinion thread as most are. Who do you think from the jacks have a shot at the NFL?

Re: Shots at the NFL

Eric Schroeder, when healthy, has a legit shot at the pros. I don't think he'll be drafted, but he'll get an invite and have an opportunity to earn a spot on a roster somewhere. Big, quick and strong.

Jaron Harris will have a shot as well. His speed and quickness are pro material, and he has size to go with it. He'll need to work on his routes and general football skills for the next level. I can't imagine he won't get a camp invite from someone.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Makes you wonder if having Jaron involved in kick returns is to give him an even better chance to get a look from NFL teams. I know Monke is hurt and the team needed someone to do it but just an idea. I think Jaron has the hands for it. I agree with your Schroeder choice.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I would assume that next year Danny Batten would have a decent shot as well.

Comment

In my opinion Jaron is the only one with a real shot. I just don't think Schroeder stands out enough to warrant getting a shot over a big time school kid. I believe Jaron has a better chance than anyone since Heiden has, except for Ranek.

Comment

Danny shouldn't have a problem next year. You have to imagine a healthy Schroeder playing though. He has been hurt most of this year and he still puts good pressure on QB.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
              In my opinion Jaron is the only one with a real shot. I just don't think Schroeder stands out enough to warrant getting a shot over a big time school kid. I believe Jaron has a better chance than anyone since Heiden has, except for Ranek.
              I think Schroeder has as much of a shot as Zach Carter did in the late '90's (same year as Steve Heiden). Zach was the last guy cut from the Bills camp and he was a shell of his former self due to a couple really freak injuries his soph and junior season/offseasons. When Schroeder is healthy, he's a big body who can move and plug holes. He had a great game against Iowa St. after the first series. He was in the backfield all day and they even started doubling him in the second half. His injuries this season are the main reason our D is struggling if you ask me.

I remember watching game film with Coach Stig early when he was still the D Cord. He stopped the film 3 plays in a row just to show us Zach being double-teamed because of his size and ability. Stig's advice to us (linebackers meeting): "You all need to buy the big guy a burger and thank him for making your lives easier." That's what a good DT can do for you.

I think Schroeder has that ability. He showed it last year when our DE's were going crazy because they were always getting 1 on 1 matchups on the edge. Again, part of the reason our pass rush has slowed this year. The big guy has been unable to take up the extra lineman.

By the way, as you can probably discern, all my SDSU comparisons fall back on Heiden for TE, Zach for DT and probably Matt Berry for OL. I am definitely biased along the lines of "walked up hill both ways" type of bias. At least I'm up front about it.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

It seems like Batten may be undersized. Also, because of his position speed is the ultimate test. I'm don't know his 40 time, but it will be a major factor in his chances.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                  It seems like Batten may be undersized. Also, because of his position speed is the ultimate test. I'm don't know his 40 time, but it will be a major factor in his chances.
                  I think he'd have to be an LB or TE in the NFL. He's a darn good FCS player with a great attitude so you never know.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                    I think Schroeder has as much of a shot as Zach Carter did in the late '90's (same year as Steve Heiden). Zach was the last guy cut from the Bills camp and he was a shell of his former self due to a couple really freak injuries his soph and junior season/offseasons. When Schroeder is healthy, he's a big body who can move and plug holes. He had a great game against Iowa St. after the first series. He was in the backfield all day and they even started doubling him in the second half. His injuries this season are the main reason our D is struggling if you ask me.

I remember watching game film with Coach Stig early when he was still the D Cord. He stopped the film 3 plays in a row just to show us Zach being double-teamed because of his size and ability. Stig's advice to us (linebackers meeting): "You all need to buy the big guy a burger and thank him for making your lives easier." That's what a good DT can do for you.

I think Schroeder has that ability. He showed it last year when our DE's were going crazy because they were always getting 1 on 1 matchups on the edge. Again, part of the reason our pass rush has slowed this year. The big guy has been unable to take up the extra lineman.

By the way, as you can probably discern, all my SDSU comparisons fall back on Heiden for TE, Zach for DT and probably Matt Berry for OL. I am definitely biased along the lines of "walked up hill both ways" type of bias. At least I'm up front about it.
                    Amen on this post and MJA is certainly a better judge of talent than most of us are. I think Eric will make it if he is healthy and my gosh he has the work ethic to make it. Most of the SDSU alums who made the NFL had work ethics that exceeded that of those from major school programs. Nebraska did have 10 or 11 people getting NFL opportunities every year and a good number of them never made it past summer camps. Our guys if given the chance will be motivated and willing to learn new things.

LaRon Harris and Danny Batten could make it too. We have to see how it all works out.

Comment

Dwight Freeney is 6'1" and 268. Danny is 6'4" and 250. Danny has one more off-season before his senior year and I'm betting he is playing around 260 next year (10 more pounds of muscle and not bulk). Jevon Kearse is 6'4" and 265. Two pretty good defensive ends playing in the NFL around the same size as Danny. I'm not saying Danny is as good as them, I'm just saying there are players his size that are succeeding in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                        Dwight Freeney is 6'1" and 268. Danny is 6'4" and 250. Jevon Kearse is 6'4" and 265. Two pretty good defensive ends playing in the NFL around the same size as Danny. I'm not saying Danny is as good as them.
                        No, Danny is not and will never be Freeney or Kearse. I'd say he has a very outside shot at an offer to try and make a team. He is a stud at this level and maybe that will translate, I'm no expert that is for sure.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Very interesting topic.

Comment

Originally posted by CalPolyFBCrazy View Post
                            Very interesting topic.
                            Care to expand on that?

Comment

I think free safety Brock Campbell was considered a possible pro prospect at the start of the season. 6-2, 215. Decent size. Don't know about his speed.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X