Megan Hilson Cross Country runner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megan Hilson Cross Country runner.

I was reading Saturday's print edition of the Argus and article about the State Cross Country meet. I read about a young lady from Yankton named Megann Hilson. I suspect Megan is the grand daughter of the late Norm Hilson, voice of the Jacks for many years. I am trying to think of Norm's son that was a broadcaster at WNAX. I also suspect he is Megan's father.

I am sure there are several of our Yankton posters who can eloborate. Also I suspect Ron DeHaven knows of Megan and her running talents.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM.

Re: Megan Hilson Cross Country runner.

I don't know much about Cross Country, but I was in Huron for the State Meet. It was quite the sloppy mess out there. Megan won the girls race by well over a second to lead Yankton to a third place team finish. She would look quite good in Yellow and Blue after winning another state title next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I was reading Saturday's print edition of the Argus and article about the State Cross Country meet. I read about a young lady from Yankton named Megann Hilson. I suspect Megan is the grand daughter of the late Norm Hilson, voice of the Jacks for many years. I am trying to think of Norm's son that was a broadcaster at WNAX. I also suspect he is Megan's father.

I sure there are several of our Yankton poster's who can eloborate. Also I suspect Ron DeHaven knows of Megan and her running talents.
      Megan is indeed Norm's grand daughter. Her dad is Chris Hilson, a big Jackrabbit fan. I would hope we have been in contact with her but I haven't talked to Chris for a couple of weeks. I know he would love it if she became a Jackrabbit but she might aspire to go elsewhere.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Megan is indeed Norm's grand daughter. Her dad is Chris Hilson, a big Jackrabbit fan. I would hope we have been in contact with her but I haven't talked to Chris for a couple of weeks. I know he would love it if she became a Jackrabbit but she might aspire to go elsewhere.
        Thanks Jackmd. I could not think of Chris and yes I met him once and he is a Jacks fan. Norm and Chris were together on the radio for a while. Once and awhile, they would talk about Norm's hometown, Hoople, ND, near Grand Forks.

Well lets hope Dad can have some influence, but if you win the state as a Junior, there will be other offers without a doubt, even from the guys down the road, 26 miles east of Yankton.

Comment

The new USD head cross country coach, Fitzsimmons, joined USD this season after running the highly-successful Yankton cross country program. I don't know if that will make any difference (and doubt it will).

In the not-too-distant past, it seemed SDSU had trouble recruiting Yankton runners. That's not true any more. Joel Teachout enrolled at State and had a very good career a few years ago (ran for the Alumni Team at the SDSU Classic). More recently: former Yankton runners Amanda Kuchta Frohling and Ashley Storm (transferred from Oklahoma), both Juniors, are top competitors for the Jackrabbit women. Another Yankton runner, Brad Anderson, a freshman, is a top-five runner on the men's team, one of several outstanding runners in a great recruiting class for Coach DeHaven.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            The new USD head cross country coach, Fitzsimmons, joined USD this season after running the highly-successful Yankton cross country program. I don't know if that will make any difference (and doubt it will).

In the not-too-distant past, it seemed SDSU had trouble recruiting Yankton runners. That's not true any more. Joel Teachout enrolled at State and had a very good career a few years ago (ran for the Alumni Team at the SDSU Classic). More recently: former Yankton runners Amanda Kuchta Frohling and Ashley Storm (transferred from Oklahoma), both Juniors, are top competitors for the Jackrabbit women. Another Yankton runner, Brad Anderson, a freshman, is a top-five runner on the men's team, one of several outstanding runners in a great recruiting class for Coach DeHaven.
            I don't think she would ever be a Coyote but I don't know how close to Fitzsimmons she is. Her teammate Mariah Hofer (I think that is her first name) didn't run this year due to an injury (she was 3rd last year) or Yankton may have won another girl's title. If the Jackrabbits don't ask Megan to join the program I've got to wonder what they are thinking.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I'm pretty sure Megan was on campus a couple/few weeks ago for a visit. There is a strong contingent of Yankton runners at SDSU now which is a pretty good thing considering the success of the Yankton programs over the past few years.

Their girls team finished 3rd at state this year but had Mariah Hofer (last year's state runner-up I believe) not been hampered with a stress fracture, you would have seen them battling SF Roosevelt for that title again. SF Roosevelt is rated #1 in the Nike Heartland region and rated 22nd in the country in the latest national rankings. Yankton should be right there with them.

Link to national rankings:
              http://www.dyestat.com//?pg=us2008-X...a2ffdcf0fc2c62

Comment

Addition: Yankton's Emily Smith is also a solid performer for the Jackrabbit women.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Addition: Yankton's Emily Smith is also a solid performer for the Jackrabbit women.
                  Her dad Rick Smith is the second best wrestler ever to come from Gregory County.

Comment

Hi I'm Chris Hilson, Megan's father. I just wanted to clarify a couple of things. Megan was not on the SDSU campus for a visit. I do know she is interested in SDSU but has been contacted by other schools. All they can do at this point is send her a letter. In july they can begin contacting her. I will work closely with her in her decision making process but ultimitely it is her decision. She is an excellent student as well and academics will play a key role. thanks for your interest in Megan. Go Jacks!

Comment

Welcome to the board Chris! Don't be shy about adding your 2 cents on other subjects also.

Whatever Megan chooses, the Jackrabbit Nation wishes her the best.

We just hope that she spent so many good hours listening to Norm's broadcasts that her lenses are tinted yellow and blue.

Comment

Originally posted by hilly2008 View Post
                        Hi I'm Chris Hilson, Megan's father. I just wanted to clarify a couple of things. Megan was not on the SDSU campus for a visit. I do know she is interested in SDSU but has been contacted by other schools. All they can do at this point is send her a letter. In july they can begin contacting her. I will work closely with her in her decision making process but ultimitely it is her decision. She is an excellent student as well and academics will play a key role. thanks for your interest in Megan. Go Jacks!
                        I can't say I'd ever buy her dad a beer but I really like Celebration Ale and usually share with my friends. Obviously I'm just kidding.

Megan would be a great addition to the cross country team at SDSU and to the academic community as well. She will make the best choice for her.

Comment

Originally posted by hilly2008 View Post

Are you really Chris Hilson? Can you prove it?

Hey Hilly, welcome aboard...Stop over for a beer sometime.

Comment

Working...
                          X