Our National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our National Anthem

If anyone has heard the singing of our National Anthem before the World Series games you will know what I am talking about. It seems that everyone that sings the Anthem at sporting events puts a wrinkle in it. Does this bug anyone else? I think it is poor taste. We sing the anthem before events to pay tribute to the nation, not so some singer can draw attention to themselves.

Re: Our National Anthem

I agree.

Another thing that grinds my gears... "and the home of the [insert team name here]!"

Both show a strong lack of respect, IMHO.

Comment

UTH...haven't I heard the Bison insert "Bison" in the Star-Spangled Banner? I agree with your sentiment about lack of respect. (Fortunately, three-syllable words like "Jackrabbits" won't work.) But, seriously, I think the Bison do what you've written about. Is my memory (or hearing) bad?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        UTH...haven't I heard the Bison insert "Bison" in the Star-Spangled Banner? I agree with your sentiment about lack of respect. (Fortunately, three-syllable words like "Jackrabbits" won't work.) But, seriously, I think the Bison do what you've written about. Is my memory (or hearing) bad?
        They do and I think he understands that. He probably doesn't think it's right. Just my opinion.

Comment

IMHO the National Anthem at the beginning of a sporting event is supposed to be a moment when both sides come together . . . e pluribus unum and all that.

So, anything that turns it into a) a narcissistic exhibition for a singer and/or b) turns it into a pep song for the home team is something I find deeply, deeply offensive--it's saying "No, we're not a single country, we're a bunch of me-first ninnies who have no respect for anyone but ourselves."

Which of course might be true (and is edging far to close to that politics borderline, so I'll discontinue the rant right there.)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
            They do and I think he understands that. He probably doesn't think it's right. Just my opinion.

Yepper. It's a moment-killer for me, and it's unfortunately been getting more and more popular in recent years in the FFD. In my experience, it's most popular at that hockey facility in GF. It's gotten very apparent in the FFD. I've also heard it at various MLB and NHL games.

For a breath of fresh air for my opinion on this - Doing something like this at a KSU game in Manhattan, KS just might bet your @$$ kicked. In the Fall of '93, I prolly missed just one home game at the most that year. During the National Anthem on one game, some @$$hat didn't take his cap off and talked during the song. He was 'corrected' and he didn't take it well.. his reaction didn't go over very well and his whole group was made to feel 'unwelcome'. This took place in the student section. They disappeared toward the end of the first quarter. Listening to some comments by students that day, it felt like I never left Ft. Riley that day.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              imho the national anthem at the beginning of a sporting event is supposed to be a moment when both sides come together . . . E pluribus unum and all that.

So, anything that turns it into a) a narcissistic exhibition for a singer and/or b) turns it into a pep song for the home team is something i find deeply, deeply offensive--it's saying "no, we're not a single country, we're a bunch of me-first ninnies who have no respect for anyone but ourselves."

which of course might be true (and is edging far to close to that politics borderline, so i'll discontinue the rant right there.)

exactly.

Comment

IMHO the National Anthem at the beginning of a sporting event is supposed to be a moment when both sides come together . . . e pluribus unum and all that.

So, anything that turns it into a) a narcissistic exhibition for a singer and/or b) turns it into a pep song for the home team is something I find deeply, deeply offensive--it's saying "No, we're not a single country, we're a bunch of me-first ninnies who have no respect for anyone but ourselves."

Which of course might be true (and is edging far to close to that politics borderline, so I'll discontinue the rant right there.)
                I agree with everything except the "edging too close to politics borderline..." comment. I think the "me-firsters" cut across all political parties. So, whack away at them! (Although, you know it will turn political as finger-pointing starts!)

Comment

During the Stanley Cup playoffs this year none of the networks except the Canadian Broadcasting Company even showed the National Anthem being sung. As much as it gets booed in some arenas in Canada, like Calgary and Vancouver it shows much more respect for us than NBC not even showing it or having their anouncers talk over it.

Comment

At OU, they end the anthem with: "And the home of the SOONERS" which, for reasons well-stated here, I always really hated.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I purposely tune out the second I see them walking the singer out unless its some local talent that will show respect. Its our NATIONAL ANTHEM not a pop song. Its ridiculous the way some of these idiots perform the song. They go out there to try and out perform someone else and end up looking like fools. Its about the words and meaning of the song, not the performance. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The use of The Star Spangled Banner as our National Anthem has its roots right here in South Dakota. On July 4, 1892 it was played at Fort Meade in honor of our flag and nation for retreat at the end of the day. About 28 years later in 1914 the President signed an order declaring it our National Anthem. In 1931 Congress passed a bill officially making it our National Anthem.

I add my name to the list of those who like it performed directly as it is written prior to sporting events and other activities. However, the song as we know sounds significantly different now than it did back in 1892 when played on the Parade Grounds at Fort Meade.

Sturgis Brown High School, which is only a few hundred yards from the Fort Meade Parade Grounds, has an antique arrangement of The Star Spangled Banner. It is not known how similar it is to the one that was played at Fort Meade but definitely has historic significance. On at least two occasions over the last six years or so the Sturgis High School band has played that historic arrangement at a basketball game. It is quite moving considering the historic significance of the origins of using the song as our National Anthem which happened over 117 years ago just east of present day Sturgis. The thing that would make that even better would be if they had access to a whole band of old instruments that would play a half step below the A=440 hertz that is considered the standard pitch today.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

During last years game between SDSU and NDSU, it really erked me when they added "Bison" to the end of the anthem(there were a lot of boos after that was added)I also am not a fan of some of the versions being sung before sporting events. When the anthem takes 15 minutes to sing (I know I'm stretching the actual duration but you get the point), you are ruining the song. Sing it at the pace it was meant to be sung. Game 1 of the World Series was an example of a version that takes too long and the artist trying too hard to make their own version of the song.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                            During last years game between SDSU and NDSU, it really erked me when they added "Bison" to the end of the anthem(there were a lot of boos after that was added)I also am not a fan of some of the versions being sung before sporting events. When the anthem takes 15 minutes to sing (I know I'm stretching the actual duration but you get the point), you are ruining the song. Sing it at the pace it was meant to be sung. Game 1 of the World Series was an example of a version that takes too long and the artist trying too hard to make their own version of the song.
                            What about game 4? To quote Joe Buck....."WOW". And I don't think it was because he was impressed.

Comment

I almost hate to ask who sung for Game 4. I know John Oates did for Game 5 and he didn't do to bad (he was standing in for Darryl Hall due to illness).
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                              X