Main Street SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Street SDSU

From Scott Munsterman's blog quoting an article from the dakotawarcollege blog. I've been to campuses that offer these services and it creates a nearly separate community within the campus town. I've always thought it was fantastic. Now, the places I have been have included places to eat and of course drink. Anyone else hearing rumors like this?

http://scottmunsterman.blogspot.com/...reet-sdsu.html

Main Street SDSU….(I thought they did education & research)
    Posted by PP at the SDWC October 18, 2008

I’ve caught wind in recent weeks of something that SDSU president Dr. David Chicoine is starting to talk to people in the community about. Allegedly, or so I’ve been told, he has a vision to create “a main street of businesses” somewhere on the SDSU campus.

As it was explained to me, there’d be these places set up on the campus that various businesses would rent and they’d be able to offer their products and services to a large and concentrated population of students. I’m sure it would be a nice opportunity for these select few business owners who were chosen But I’m left with a few nagging questions and concerns in the back of my mind.

First off, I have a hard time seeing past the whole “role of government question.” Whether the regental system cares to acknowledge it or not, they are a branch of state government. How does being a landlord for a strip mall fit? Is it the role of state government to compete with private enterprises, such as they would by serving as a landlord or rental agent?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Main Street SDSU

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    From Scott Munsterman's blog quoting an article from the dakotawarcollege blog. I've been to campuses that offer these services and it creates a nearly separate community within the campus town. I've always thought it was fantastic. Now, the places I have been have included places to eat and of course drink. Anyone else hearing rumors like this?

I’ve caught wind in recent weeks of something that SDSU president Dr. David Chicoine is starting to talk to people in the community about. Allegedly, or so I’ve been told, he has a vision to create “a main street of businesses” somewhere on the SDSU campus.

As it was explained to me, there’d be these places set up on the campus that various businesses would rent and they’d be able to offer their products and services to a large and concentrated population of students. I’m sure it would be a nice opportunity for these select few business owners who were chosen But I’m left with a few nagging questions and concerns in the back of my mind.

First off, I have a hard time seeing past the whole “role of government question.” Whether the regental system cares to acknowledge it or not, they are a branch of state government. How does being a landlord for a strip mall fit? Is it the role of state government to compete with private enterprises, such as they would by serving as a landlord or rental agent?
    PP does raise some issues, here, but he must remember SDSU is state assisted and not state supported. Only 26 per cent of SDSU budget comes from the state of South Dakota. Most of that money is for maintenence and utilites of existing buildings on campus. I know others can elborate further on state assistance.

I think as an institution SDSU is not the same as Human Services in Yankton or the School for the Blind in Aberdeen who are nearly 100 per cent supported by appropriated funds. I am not that familar with Human Services, but they might have some types of enterprises within the institution, plus I would think they also receive federal funding. So even they might be less than 100 per cent state supported by state funds. My point is they are more of a governmental unit than SDSU in theory. I would think SDSU is more educational in structure than govermental. None the less competiting with the free enterprise of the local community could be a serious concern.

So I think SDSU is kind of blurred as being a government unit, but with educational functions and all kinds of enterprise operations on campus, its not pure business nor is it pure government. Somewhere in between.

I know of two large campuses that have more or less grown together with the downtown business district where there are products and services that cater to the campus that boaders the downtown. These two include Madison Wisconsin and Lincoln, Nebraska. I been to Champaign many years ago for business and never even got a look at the campus, but I suspect there is a similar arrangement with the business community and University of Illinois that President Chicoine is alledgely promoting. I think this can all be work out and this is a great idea in order to increase and retain our enrollments, especially students who have no cars.

I had to read this again and found that the Mayor Munsterman is not the author, but the mayor seems to think its an idea worth exploring. Whoever PP is, I dont know, but I too remember the business section on Medary which is gone, but I also noticed on home visit n the early 1970's that the central activity of student activity had shifted from Medary and the south west corner of the campus that boarders Medary to a point more north east, and that might be because of the new class room rotunda, new student Union and Briggs libriary plus Frost. So those business struggled in their last days before being bought up by the foundation. Most of the owners on Medary were probably very happy to sell to the Foundation.

If you noticed at the home football games for concessions we have a few more selections other than the ARAMARK concessions. I tried Nicks for the first time last Saturday. The price for the single burger down town is I believe $1.38, but at CAS it is 2 bucks. So where does the 62 cents go? To SDSU, and I suspect Armark also prices their food in a like manner. I have no problem paying more at a game if you know some of this is going to SDSU athletics. I am no longer scratching my head on how the concessions for SDSU jumped from $161,000 to $421,000 in the report turned into the BOR for FY07.

The additional concessions and the idea of a business strip mall are excellent ideas and they can work if the contracts are bid competitively. I can never understand why the Sunmart so close to campus closed a few years back. It is very close to residence halls and I did see students shopping there nearly everytime I went in to shop. I suppose the relatively new Walmart and their food addition may have made Nash Finch cut and run. I dont know. To me that building now standing empty could house some of this Main Street SDSU.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-23-2008, 12:07 AM.

Comment

It's not uncommon. Most Student Unions include commercial tenants including restaurants, banks, etc. We currently contract with Aramark, and they provide food services to the campus. At OU, the student union includes a bunch of restaurants, banks, shops, etc., who pay to offer their services there.

That said, I can see your concerns, JackMD. My preference would be for the city to buy up some adjacent residential property (there are plenty of slum home zones adjacent to campus) and create an opportunity for private businesses to begin creating a commercial zone adjacent to, but off campus. How about making 8th Street from 12th Avenue to 15th Avenue a commercial zone? Call it "Campus Lane" or something and work on some tax incentives or something to get it developed with restaurants, banks, and shops. In Norman, the adjacent commercial area is called campus corner: http://www.oucampuscorner.com/ I can't remember what it's called at Purdue, but there is a commercial zone adjacent to campus with one of the greatest Indian restaurants I have ever found, among many other businesses.

I think President Chicoine is right about the need. There are probably several ways to accomplish the goal of getting some commercial space on or near campus. Anybody else have any ideas?
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Just to clarify a couple of things. Scott M. quoted this from Pat Powell's conservative political blog "dakotawarcollege".

The place I have enjoyed the most is in Manhatten, KS. They call it "Aggieville".

http://www.aggieville.org/

Its located very near campus and I've had some great times down there. I'd prefer something like that, on a much smaller scale of course.
        Last edited by jackmd; 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM. Reason: My narrow minded views about PP, not fair.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          It's not uncommon. Most Student Unions include commercial tenants including restaurants, banks, etc. We currently contract with Aramark, and they provide food services to the campus. At OU, the student union includes a bunch of restaurants, banks, shops, etc., who pay to offer their services there.

That said, I can see your concerns, JackMD. My preference would be for the city to buy up some adjacent residential property (there are plenty of slum home zones adjacent to campus) and create an opportunity for private businesses to begin creating a commercial zone adjacent to, but off campus. How about making 8th Street from 12th Avenue to 15th Avenue a commercial zone? Call it "Campus Lane" or something and work on some tax incentives or something to get it developed with restaurants, banks, and shops. In Norman, the adjacent commercial area is called campus corner: http://www.oucampuscorner.com/ I can't remember what it's called at Purdue, but there is a commercial zone adjacent to campus with one of the greatest Indian restaurants I have ever found, among many other businesses.

I think President Chicoine is right about the need. There are probably several ways to accomplish the goal of getting some commercial space on or near campus. Anybody else have any ideas?
          I would agree with your preference of buying rental properties. I would also agree that there are ample proprieties west of Medary that should go as they are becoming an eye sores. I would think if the price was right, the owners would sell. They have to worry about the tax consequences of capital gains and recapture of depreciation, but if bought cheap years ago, even after taxes they might have positive cash and no longer the headaches of managing rentals. These acquisitions would give rise to the Main Street if I understand you right. I think that the SunMart building has some potential. Its standing empty and is south of residence halls. I keep wondering why its still empty. I am sure the foundation has some ideas at this time and no doubt are exploring them. In general I am very much in agreement and its a need for the SDSU campus.

Comment

At NDSU, we're doing something a bit similar. When our Memorial Union was expanded and renovated over the last couple years, additional space was set aside for businesses like a local bank and several chain restaurants. The more significant project is happening along the southern edge of campus. A large number of homes converted to rental properties have been torn down to make way for new, mixed-use developments. In fact, the entire area was just rezoned by the city to encourage these sorts of projects. The buildings are limited to five stories and must use higher qualities of building materials like brick. They generally have retail or office space on the ground floor and apartments or condos on the upper levels. The city also added parking space requirements(1.3 spots per unit) to try to help the parking situation. Three of these units were built this last year and I expect two or three more will be built each year for the foreseeable future. All of us NDSU alumni and residents of Fargo love the idea because that neighborhood was UGLY.

One of the projects:
            http://www.bisonblock.com/

Comment

Just to clarify a couple of things. Scott M. quoted this from Pat Powell's conservative political blog "dakotawarcollege". Powell is a very narrow-minded and cynical conservative who isn't tactful about his dislike for SDSU.

The place I have enjoyed the most is in Manhatten, KS. They call it "Aggieville".

http://www.aggieville.org/

Its located very near campus and I've had some great times down there. I'd prefer something like that, on a much smaller scale of course.
              Take it easy on PP doc. While I have never met PP I believe he is an alum of SDSU, at least he was at SDSU in the eighties when I was there and we have mutual acquantances. Also I am only an occasional reader of his blog but I have never seen an anti SDSU attitude.

Comment

I have heard that SDSU would like to build a new residence hall containing commercial space on the ground floor. There was a survey that was either sent out by email or on the Foundation's website that highlighted some of the possible locations of the new hall. I can remember the locations being Rotunda Green, the parking lot at the SW corner of 8th St and 16th Ave, one of the parking lots across from Brown Hall, and I think there was at least one more location that escaped my memory. I would like to see some comercial development at the corner of 8th and Medary. I know there use to be a strip of buildings there, and I agree with many that they should have remained. I think a new building on the SW corner of 8th and Medary would be a perfect place. Something like Calhoun Square in Uptown Minneapolis would look good. I think that would spur more development between 6th St and Campus along Medary Ave. I know that there are some very nice houses in that stretch, but there are also some that could probably go.
                I had a friend in Landscape Architecture that made a compelling argument to change Medary and 9th Ave into one way streets at least between 11th and 8th. Then build a strip of shops across from campus on 9th Avenue. This would relieve traffic on Medary on campus as well as create access to the new shops. If the university built a new residence hall in the parking lot behind the Alumni Center (I don't know where they would relocate that parking) and included storefronts on the ground floor that could really help spur development. I'm not sure some of the other locations they mentioned could open up further development adjacent to campus since they are not on the fringe. I think this residence hall should be used as a cornerstone in a new retail development close to campus.

Sorry for the rambling, but urban planning is an interest of mine. Here's a map of SDSU so you can see the different locations I'm talking about:

Comment

The new Hall location (west side of Brown and Mathews) and the Student Union expansion has been decided I beleive. Of course it needs Board of Regents approval.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
                    Take it easy on PP doc. While I have never met PP I believe he is an alum of SDSU, at least he was at SDSU in the eighties when I was there and we have mutual acquantances. Also I am only an occasional reader of his blog but I have never seen an anti SDSU attitude.
                    Sorry for being critical of PP, I was out-of-line. I'll retract MY opinion about him. I do watch his blog and often find many of his entries interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X