Indiana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana State

Let's start a thread about the Trees. The situation is this: We may be 3-4 overall, but we're 2-1 in the MVFC and Indiana State is coming off a 56-0 loss to WIU. Lets be honest: The Sycamores are the definition of a terrible football team. They have scored 40 points in seven football games. They have given up more than 50 points four times. Opposing teams are averaging 48 points. They lost to SEMO, another of the worst teams in FCS. ISU is giving up almost 300 yards rushing per game while their leading rusher averages 35 yards per game.

This is an opportunity to get healthy, regain some confidence, get a conference win to remain tied for the lead, and to get some backups a lot of good experience.

We have three very winnable conference games coming up. Our job: win those three, let the rest of the MVFC leaders get beat up a bit, and come out in November looking at SIU and NDSU and controlling our own playoff destiny.

It all starts with the Trees.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Indiana State

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Let's start a thread about the Trees. The situation is this: We may be 3-4 overall, but we're 2-1 in the MVFC and Indiana State is coming off a 56-0 loss to WIU. Lets be honest: The Sycamores are the definition of a terrible football team. They have scored 40 points in seven football games. They have given up more than 50 points four times. Opposing teams are averaging 48 points. They lost to SEMO, another of the worst teams in FCS. ISU is giving up almost 300 yards rushing per game while their leading rusher averages 35 yards per game.

This is an opportunity to get healthy, regain some confidence, get a conference win to remain tied for the lead, and to get some backups a lot of good experience.

We have three very winnable conference games coming up. Our job: win those three, let the rest of the MVFC leaders get beat up a bit, and come out in November looking at SIU and NDSU and controlling our own playoff destiny.

It all starts with the Trees.
    Agreed. The Jacks could really use a blowout win, as you said to start rebuilding their confidence. They need to focus on playing one game at a time, and see where that leads them.

Comment

If they're giving up over 300 a game on the ground, that tells me the Jacks are going to come out throwing after what I saw yesterday.

Must, must, must get the run game back. Those day games at CAS in November do not bode well for weather. Windy and cool = run the friggin' ball.

Comment

Here to the Jacks continueing their run for the 2008 MVFC Championship with a huge win next week against Indiana State. There is not a team in the FCS other than Cal Poly than I pull harder for than the Jacks. Show those boys in the MVFC how the 2007 GWFC Champions play football.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
          Here to the Jacks continueing their run for the 2008 MVFC Championship with a huge win next week against Indiana State. There is not a team in the FCS other than Cal Poly than I pull harder for than the Jacks. Show those boys in the MVFC how the 2007 GWFC Champions play football.
          There are a lot of Cal Poly fans around here, too. CP does it right. This year we've seen teams that celebrate every play like they just won the Super Bowl. We've seen teams that taunt and pose. Last night when Barden scored on a long pass, he handed the ball to the ref high-fived a couple guys and ran off the field. He acted like he's been there before. That's what we expect out of our Jackrabbits. So I appreciate it when I see opponents behaving with such class and letting their performance on the field speak for itself.

And as an Iowa grad, please take note... and I cannot possibly emphasize this enough: Beat Wisconsin!
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I wonder if Larry Bird will be in Terre Haute on Satuday. That's got to be one good thing about competing with Indiana State.

Seriously we need to regroup and as Coach said last night they need to see the film of the CP game and learn from their observations.

Comment

TV Timeout for 10/22/08

Terry talks Cal Poly, Indiana State and more generally about Jackrabbit athletics.

Stig Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSUiSgZhvzI

Nana Allison-Brewer Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhwiWSBbBFI
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Let's get this thread rolling again. It's Wednesday and I know we're all in agony over losing to a very quality team.

Indiana State is second to last in the country in rush defense at a whopping 275 + yards per game (our next opp. is dead last in Mo. St.). The Sycamores are up there in pass defense, but that's because nobody passes against them. They are giving up nearly 48 points a game. Let's get Jacked up and put them away early.

35-0 at half.....56-7 final. Back to .500 and ready to get a couple of home games before the tough final two.

GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO JACKS!!!

Comment

Is Larry Bird going to be there? If you are going to the game look for a tall blonde guy with kind of a hooked nose. Larry Bird is one pro that has impressed me very much and Indiana State must be very proud to call him.

Seriously, though we should get our confidence back and thats what we really need to do. The Indiana State program is the kind of a program we have to take very seriously. I think Coach Stig and the staff should play this one game the way Cal Poly played their game in Brookings, namely every play was thought to be the winning play of the game. All the lopsided stats and win loss record needs to be put in perspective. The Sycamores, or the trees are no doubt looking for a break out game. Let that be someone else.

Comment

I'm making no bold predictions. We need to come out with a solid scheme and utilize what should be an athletic and strength advantage to play football. That means running the ball, gaining yards to allow for 2nd and 4 or 5 not 2nd and 10. That means pass protecting, making quick reads when blitzes are coming and catching properly thrown balls.

On defense, get aggressive!! Make the offense uncomfortable even if that means leaving open a few holes. When we have tried to be conservative teams have gouged us for 6-8 yards on first down leaving a 2nd and short and opening the entire playbook. Hammer them on first down, force 2nd and long, make the QB uncomfortable in the pocket.

What do I know. I just don't think the scheme or the effort scene against Cal-Poly allows for much confidence coming into this weekend. That said, Ind St. is a bad team and we need to show that we aren't.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This game is exactly what we need to get back on track!! I think we can get our confidence back with a big win this weekend, and hopefully rattle off a bunch of wins in a row. Like JackMD said, establish the run first. Then, work in some play-action pass and 3-step routes. We MUST control the line of scrimmage the rest of the way (on both sides of the ball) if we want to be in the mix at season's end!

Comment

Sat in Terre Haute. Cloudy high 53-56 with a slight chance of showers. Rain thursday and possibly friday.

Comment

I've got us winning 48-10. I too would like to see us establish that running game again as we prepare for the stretch run. No pun intended with "stretch run", or was it?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                            I've got us winning 48-10. I too would like to see us establish that running game again as we prepare for the stretch run. No pun intended with "stretch run", or was it?
                            Everybody has run successfully against them. Everybody. So even with a banged-up offensive line, I expect we'll have success. This isn't Cal Poly. It's the Trees. I hope we'll show some commitment and run the ball to set up the pass.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I wonder if Larry Bird will be in Terre Haute on Satuday. That's got to be one good thing about competing with Indiana State.
                              Will Zaccheus be there?

Zaccheus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he.
                              He climbed up in a Sycamore tree, for the game he wanted to see...

Lame, I know, but every time I hear about the Sycamores, this Sunday School song plays in my head. He is a tax collector, so if you see him head the other way.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X