Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramses Barden

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Small%20S...ses_barden.htm

Just a draft article proclaiming the 6-6 Cal Poly receiver as the best small school draft prospect. Most current projections have him going somewhere by the 3rd round. We will definately have our hands full to say the least!

Re: Ramses Barden

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
    http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Small%20S...ses_barden.htm

Just a draft article proclaiming the 6-6 Cal Poly receiver as the best small school draft prospect. Most current projections have him going somewhere by the 3rd round. We will definately have our hands full to say the least!
    If you haven't had a chance to see this guy play you need to make it to CAS on Saturday. He is an amazing talent. We need someone to hit him REALLY HARD on a crossing route early in the game and try to get his head on a swivel. Last year at CAS I think Hoogeveen(sp) decked him and he wasn't the same after that. If he is allowed to roam free in our secondary he might beat us alone. Add in a mobile QB and the unique triple option offense and its a tough match-up for any defense, let alone one that has been struggling like ours.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This quote sums up what I was trying to say:

"Barden does however get the job done on the football field, in fact he can completely take over games at times, just ask Weber State and Idaho State. On September 15th 2007 he destroyed Weber State catching 9 passes for 219 yards and 4 TDs, and the next month (Oct 27th) against Idaho State, he embarrassed the Bengals catching 10 passes for 268 and 3 TDs. He completely dominated those games and caught the attention of NFL Scouts."
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        If you haven't had a chance to see this guy play you need to make it to CAS on Saturday. He is an amazing talent. We need someone to hit him REALLY HARD on a crossing route early in the game and try to get his head on a swivel. Last year at CAS I think Hoogeveen(sp) decked him and he wasn't the same after that. If he is allowed to roam free in our secondary he might beat us alone. Add in a mobile QB and the unique triple option offense and its a tough match-up for any defense, let alone one that has been struggling like ours.
        I think last year we had a safety rotate down and smack him near the line of scrimmage on every play while the corner dropped into coverage.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I think last year we had a safety rotate down and smack him near the line of scrimmage on every play while the corner dropped into coverage.
          Whatever it was, it worked. I wasn't impressed with him at all.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Yeah for whatever reason we have been able to contain him reasonably well the last few years. Not crossing my fingers again this year... 6-6 wr vs. 5-9 corner= Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
              Whatever it was, it worked. I wasn't impressed with him at all.
              Ramses did not have a good game against the Jacks last year, but do not kid yourself, he had a big impact on the game. The Jacks put two players on him the entire game and that helped open up the rushing game for the Mustangs who rushed for 387 yards. Even with the two players on him he still managed to catch three balls, one going for a touchdown.

I said the same thing about four years ago when a big WR came to play Cal Poly and they held him in check most of the game. I thought he was over hyped and I was not that impressed with him. I talked to a Cal Poly coach later about it and he said they had at least two guys on him every play and the coach said that while we slowed him down he was the best WR he had coached against. He also said we were just lucky that Northern Colorado did not have many other weapons than him. You may have heard of him. His name is Vicent Jackson and he plays for the San Diego Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
                Ramses did not have a good game against the Jacks last year, but do not kid yourself, he had a big impact on the game. The Jacks put two players on him the entire game and that helped open up the rushing game for the Mustangs who rushed for 387 yards. Even with the two players on him he still managed to catch three balls, one going for a touchdown.
                That's exactly right. When you rotate a safety over to hit Barden, that's a safety who's not necessarily in a position to provide run support. A guy like Barden is so good that he affects everything the defense does, even if he's not catching footballs. And as SloStang points out, he did catch a touchdown last year. The guy's a stud.

I still say Dally is the guy you have to contain. He's a great runner and makes excellent decisions in the option attack. His passing isn't stellar, but it's good enough, and it helps to have a target like Barden. I don't remember being more impressed by any other opposing QB I have seen at CAS. Dally is a winner.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Speaking of Vincent Jackson, we played him in his senior season as well. He only caught one pass (or was it 3?) and it was for a touchdown in the last quarter. It seems like the last few years Cal Poly never really tried to get Barden involved,thank god! They just pound you with the option and control the ball and clock. We need to get them into third and long and make them pass it, making sure that we are aware of where Barden is! Wish I could be at the game but good luck Rabbits, we need a big win to get our team going for the stretch run!

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
                    Speaking of Vincent Jackson, we played him in his senior season as well. He only caught one pass (or was it 3?) and it was for a touchdown in the last quarter. It seems like the last few years Cal Poly never really tried to get Barden involved,thank god! They just pound you with the option and control the ball and clock. We need to get them into third and long and make them pass it, making sure that we are aware of where Barden is! Wish I could be at the game but good luck Rabbits, we need a big win to get our team going for the stretch run!
                    Barden didn't have a great night again this year, but the rationale by JJ and others is dead on. We had to double cover him, and their running game killed us. He made a beautiful catch for a long TD, but other wise did nothing that would impress fans. But I think the people who rate him fourth round or better in the draft don't worry about what impresses the fans. BTW, Jaron made some great catches tonight and CP worked hard to keep him out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      Barden didn't have a great night again this year, but the rationale by JJ and others is dead on. We had to double cover him, and their running game killed us. He made a beautiful catch for a long TD, but other wise did nothing that would impress fans. But I think the people who rate him fourth round or better in the draft don't worry about what impresses the fans. BTW, Jaron made some great catches tonight and CP worked hard to keep him out of the game.
                      Harris and Fox both had better nights than Barden did tonight. Doesn't matter because #9 absolutely destroyed us from Poly. Both receiving and rushing.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        General had a shot at that ball and didn't jump for it. Maybe still couldn't have got it, but hanging in the wind and in front of Barden should have made a play on it.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                          general had a shot at that ball and didn't jump for it. Maybe still couldn't have got it, but hanging in the wind and in front of barden should have made a play on it.
                          qft.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

He didn't look that impressive because they hardly used him. There were plenty of times he was lined up one on one on the outside and it seemed they should should have just thrown it up to him. But when you can run the ball for good yards every play I guess you don't need to. I still think he could have been utitilized much better.

Comment

If the Jacks would have brought the safety in for run support, CP would have thrown to Barden, as they did not, CP had a 6' 6" 228lb blocker 10-15 yards downfield who was pretty effective support for the second phase of the running game. He is quite a weapon whether being thrown to or not. Playing the option 10 vs 9 is kind of difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X