Cal Poly is coming to town......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Poly is coming to town......

I am excited about the game with the Jacks. This game should have a playoff feel to because both teams need this game. If it is like the last four games between the two teams it should be a great one.

Any idea what to expect as far as the weather on Saturday? Any video streaming?

Re: Cal Poly is coming to town......

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
    I am excited about the game with the Jacks. This game should have a playoff feel to because both teams need this game. If it is like the last four games between the two teams it should be a great one.

Any idea what to expect as far as the weather on Saturday? Any video streaming?
    Just make the trip up to South Dakota. Don't expect to find hotel rooms though. Its the pheasant opener so we'll have a lot of out of state visitors.

I would like to greet the California boys with 40 degrees and rain/snow but for the sake of the hunters I hope the weather is reasonable. Extended forecast from the NWS says mid 50's and partly sunny, dry for now. I guess I'll take that.

We need this win and I expect us to get it on our home field after letting one literally slip through our hands against McNeese. Cal-Poly is very talented on offense and we'll have to have a scheme that stops a mobile QB in a triple option offense with the best receiver in DI football. I remember being amazed by Barden 2 years ago and couldn't believe they didn't throw to him more often in Brookings.

I'm looking for a stellar performance from the Jacks. Our defense needs to take a "bend don't break" approach, we can't expect to shut the Mustangs down. I'm looking forward to a great week. Hunting in Dallas, SD on Tuesday and Wednesday. Pheasant opener Saturday and Jackrabbit football Saturday night.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Until last week, I would have said Cal Poly and Georgia Southern were the two best offensive teams ever to visit CAS. McNeese last week was just a hair better than Cal Poly's offense was last year.

But that was last year. I'm sure Dally and company will show up and get some yards. Our defense, when all the injured players are back, is better than last year. If we can keep them under 28 points, I think that would be huge. Of course that will be very difficult.

The good news is we can definitely put up points. Berry is having a record-setting year, and Harris has been unstoppable. If we can get Minett going a little bit in this one, I think we have a good shot at knocking off the Mustangs.

Hey SloStang, how's the Cal Poly defense this year? We know the Mustang offense is outstanding.

Should be another great game.

The game will be streamed on gojacks.com. It'll cost you $9.95, I think.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Cal Poly's defense has been inconsistant this season. I expect that SDSU will put move the ball and put points on the board. This game may come down to who has the ball last.

Comment

Great...the Jacks haven't been in a game like that yet this year .

Comment

Nothing against Cal Poly, but having common opponents with USD is not productive given the horrible dis'ing between the schools. I hope SDSU gets away from playing Great West teams and USD stays out of the Valley. Time to pull them apart until all the bad feelings on both sides are forgotten. If not you're going to see the same comments about common opponents that occasionally pop up on AGS.

In a decade or so any memories of a one time rivalry will be forgotten. In fifteen or twenty years an occasional game could be scheduled, but nothing on an annual basis.

Also time for SDSU fans to get off the Coyote board IMHO. Leave them alone, please!

Comment

Cal Poly's defense has been inconsistant this season. I expect that SDSU will put move the ball and put points on the board. This game may come down to who has the ball last.
              I don't think I can take another one of those games.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                Nothing against Cal Poly, but having common opponents with USD is not productive given the horrible dis'ing between the schools. I hope SDSU gets away from playing Great West teams and USD stays out of the Valley. Time to pull them apart until all the bad feelings on both sides are forgotten. If not you're going to see the same comments about common opponents that occasionally pop up on AGS.

In a decade or so any memories of a one time rivalry will be forgotten. In fifteen or twenty years an occasional game could be scheduled, but nothing on an annual basis.

Also time for SDSU fans to get off the Coyote board IMHO. Leave them alone, please!
                I think that it is great that South Dakota State scheduled their former conference partner. All four games have been great games. Cal Poly has a tough time putting together a schedule and I for one am happy to see that the Jacks signed a home and home with the Mustangs. The Great West was good for the Jacks during their transition and it is great that they are willing to continue what has become a great serries (tied at 2-2). Don't let your dislike for USD be a reason to not schedule Cal Poly. I hope to see the Jacks on as many future schedules as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I'm looking forward to a great week. Hunting in Dallas, SD on Tuesday and Wednesday. Pheasant opener Saturday and Jackrabbit football Saturday night.
                  On a side note, will you be visiting either of the 'local establishments' in Dallas these days? Hopefully the wife isn't reading this thread, maybe I gave something away...

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post

Cal Poly has been great for the Jacks. The games are close with the Jacks getting the best of the 'Stangs the last couple of games. Yes we have a common opponent as USD but it's not like we are playing Culver-Stockton, its Cal Poly, one of the best teams in the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                      On a side note, will you be visiting either of the 'local establishments' in Dallas these days? Hopefully the wife isn't reading this thread, maybe I gave something away...
                      She is aware of the "establishments". We'll be there Tuesday night which is of course 3 nights ahead of opener-eve so I'm not sure there will be any "talent". Its a hunt I was invited on so I'll just follow the hosts.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Personally, IMHO Great West opponents should form the majority of our OOC's. These schools are either our ex NCC mates (with low travel/high interest), member of Summit League, or GREAT, tough opponents. And Poly has been the best of that conference.

Cal Poly has a team that is probably the most explosive that the Jacks will encounter this year. Key to a SDSU win will be containing the passes to Barton. This 6'6" receiver will likely be the next Terrell Owen in the NFL. Unfortunately, he is only one of 4 offensive stars for Poly. Their defensive is quick, but smaller. We may have an opportunity to achieve that more balanced/run approach that the Jacks thrive on.

All told, this, like the last four games with Poly, is a very defining game for both teams. The main difference this year is that Jacks are eligible for play-offs.

While Poly is a HUGE favorite of "other FCS schools" for me, I believe that CAS and a home crowd will be the difference for a Jacks WIN!

Comment

I think that it is great that South Dakota State scheduled their former conference partner. All four games have been great games. Cal Poly has a tough time putting together a schedule and I for one am happy to see that the Jacks signed a home and home with the Mustangs. The Great West was good for the Jacks during their transition and it is great that they are willing to continue what has become a great serries (tied at 2-2). Don't let your dislike for USD be a reason to not schedule Cal Poly. I hope to see the Jacks on as many future schedules as possible.
                          I agree that the Poly / Jacks game is a good out of conference game. If I understand correctly we will be playing Poly and Davis in the future as well. Both schools were great for the Jacks during transition and I think SDSU has made a commitment to assist both schools with filling their schedule whenever possible. Comparing scores when they play other teams is simply going go happen - but means nothing. Different days, different circumstances, different fields and so on. The only score that means anything is the one between the two teams on the field. As far as Saturday goes - Kyle left, Kyle right and when Poly has had enough of that it will be over the top to Harris. I think the Jacks defense when healthy will impress even Poly. With the beach boys coming to CAS I hope its cold, windy and miserable.

Good luck to the hunters. Don't forget to quit early enough to make the 6 PM kick off.

Go big, go blue, go Jacks

Comment

Just ordered up my tickets to the game...best available was Section J Row 23.

Looking forward to the game. Last year when Cal Poly came to CAS I was nervous the whole game. That offense is absolutely tremendous.

I think SDSU will play Cal Poly tough, but as much as I hate to say it, unless we show dramatically improved pass defense from what we've has the last few weeks, I don't think the 'rabbits will come away with a win this year. Daly and Barden, Barden specifically will come in with a vengeance, as we held him in check last year.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Since Cal Poly is an option team, I'm sure the goal is to force them to pass. It's a pick your poison thing. Do you want Dally and Noble to beat you with their feet, or do you want Barden to get involved. No doubt, they have a great offense.

Stig talked last night (we taped his show) about how familiarity and an extra week helps when you're facing a team that runs unusual offensive and defensive schemes. You just don't see too many option teams anymore. And Cal Poly's defense (three down linemen, two linebackers lined up on top of your guards, another linebacker 6 or 7 yards back) is something you don't often see.

I think our defensive seven will be disciplined and will at least force Cal Poly to grind it down the field. I don't have any inside information, but I think it's reasonable to expect Schroeder to be back. Campbell and Kjerstad played a few snaps against McNeese. Maybe they'll play, too. Dally is a great QB (I think he's the best I've seen before McNeese's QB came to town). He'll find a way to move the ball. We just have to make it difficult. I don't think anybody can stop them. The main question for me revolves around Poly's defense. When we've lost to Poly, it was because they had a dominant defense. (Remember Chris Gocong, now with the Philadelphia Eagles?). That hasn't been the case for a couple of years. They're still good, but not dominant like that. I think we can score, particularly since our offensive line depth will be back near normal. Berry, Harris, Duffy, Minett, and Fox are playing pretty well right now. It might be another 40-something to 30-something game, but I won't even try to make a prediction on the score.

I hope people will come to the game, though. Cal Poly is one of my favorite opponents to watch. The Mustangs have great players, particularly on offense.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X