Snowblower Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowblower Advice

I'm going to buy my first snowblower this weekend. I don't need a really big one as my driveway and walk are not that large and neither is my garage. Its really the garage space thats preventing me from getting a huge one, I'll upgrade when we get a bigger house.

I'm planning on/looking at a 8-10hp 2-stage gas model with a 24-28 inch clearing path. Any advice regarding a solid and reliable brand from those who own one? Price isn't a major issue.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Snowblower Advice

Honda & Arens are good brands. I had a Sears for a long time (15 years) and it finally gave up the ghost I decided to get another. Horrible decision. After two years tried to trade it and nobody would take it, not give me anything, they would not take it (all the places sold used ones also). I've known several people that have Honda and never had a problem at all.

As for size, I would recommend staying with the small one. We have had big driveways/garages and small ones. In the approximately 20 years I've run one, there have been maybe 2 or 3 snowstorms that the small size one could not handle easily. On those occasions, just have the spouse/kids knock down the drifts and go slow. The extra space in the garage is something I prefer.

Options: Electric start, lights. Other than that I wouldn't really worry about them. Several neighbors that have the power directional spouts have had problems, not specific to any brand that I could detect.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I'm going to buy my first snowblower this weekend. I don't need a really big one as my driveway and walk are not that large and neither is my garage. Its really the garage space thats preventing me from getting a huge one, I'll upgrade when we get a bigger house.

I'm planning on/looking at a 8-10hp 2-stage gas model with a 24-28 inch clearing path. Any advice regarding a solid and reliable brand from those who own one? Price isn't a major issue.
      I've had a Snapper for years, never had any problems. It has a pull start or a plug in for electric start. seems to do the trick.

I hope both of our snow blowers sit in the garage and collect dust all winter.

Comment

I've heard good things about the Arens and Honda brands. Snapper is a solid brand as well. It will likely come down to what the local guys have. I plan to stay away from MTD and Sears Craftsman products. I've had trouble with power equipment from both in the past. Just my personal experience.

I plan to get a model with lights and electric start. I definitely agree that the garage space is much more important than a monster snowblower. I suppose I could take the really easy route and just pay a guy to come and do it like I do with my yard but I have always wanted a snowblower.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Just make sure it has a Briggs and Stratton engine.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I've heard good things about the Arens and Honda brands. Snapper is a solid brand as well. It will likely come down to what the local guys have. I plan to stay away from MTD and Sears Craftsman products. I've had trouble with power equipment from both in the past. Just my personal experience.

I plan to get a model with lights and electric start. I definitely agree that the garage space is much more important than a monster snowblower. I suppose I could take the really easy route and just pay a guy to come and do it like I do with my yard but I have always wanted a snowblower.
            Trouble with hiring the snow done like the lawn is if you need to get out in the morning and they don't come until 3 PM it doesn't work too well.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
              Trouble with hiring the snow done like the lawn is if you need to get out in the morning and they don't come until 3 PM it doesn't work too well.
              Exactly! Some mornings I get called in at 3 or 4 am and having a snowblower at home will help.

Comment

I have a Honda with hydrostatic drive and tracks. You really don't need or want tracks instead of wheels if you have no slope. However, bigger is better when it comes to wheel size on a snowblower. If they are big you won't have to mess with chains. The variable drive is really nice when going through varying snow depths, better than a finite number of gears.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Oh yes, I agree on the wheel size. Messing with chains is a real pain, and somewhat dangerous as I have seen them get in the auger in the past. They fall off and you don't know it and run over them on the next pass. Never had the tracks, how much of a slope are you talking about before they are helpful?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I've got Cub Cadet 8 horse with tracks that I've had for about 15 years. I've had no trouble with it other than I've worn out 2 sets of skid shoes on the front of it. I like the tracks, though I've never had any slope to work with. I don't know if single stage is still available, but I would stick with a 2 stage.
                    An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                    US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

I bought an Ariens a few years ago and love it. Lights and electric start are a must. The heated hand grips sound cool, but are a waste, you'll probably be wearing gloves anyway.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I also recommend no less than 8 horsepower. I'm sitting here looking out my window at some very wet and heavy snow that is weighing down the tree branches and hoping for it to melt before the wind blows or the branches will start breaking. I doubt that a motor of less than 8 HP could clear it. Fortunately the ground was still warm and I was able to clear this one with a shovel.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

This thread is pretty funny.

I can't even say I'm adding my two cents' worth because the following is worth maybe two mills.

First, an observation: Let's face it guys, we like snowblowers because for most of us, it's the closest we get to being heavy-equipment operators and we've all wanted to be heavy-equipment operators since we graduated from the sandbox and the large, yellow Tonka grader and dump truck.

Second, advice: Do not... Let me say that again: DO NOT squat down to change the oil on your snowblower when your knees are 40 or more years of age. I did that, resulting in a meniscus tear (picture this: I hear a pop and wonder 'what the heck was that?' so I go up and down, eight or ten squats in quick succession...could hardly walk the next morning) and a scope procedure which caused the doc to tell me: no more running and your knee should last. Ten years later, the knee feels great and I carry 10 extra pounds. (I find I can run slowly about 2.5 miles without pain which probably would not surprise my Jackrabbit teammates who will say I never ran more than 2.5 miles and always ran slowly.)

Oh yeah, get the eight horse engine...I have the five which works just fine 80% of the time but my neighbors have bigger machines.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            This thread is pretty funny.

I can't even say I'm adding my two cents' worth because the following is worth maybe two mills.

First, an observation: Let's face it guys, we like snowblowers because for most of us, it's the closest we get to being heavy-equipment operators and we've all wanted to be heavy-equipment operators since we graduated from the sandbox and the large, yellow Tonka grader and dump truck.

Second, advice: Do not... Let me say that again: DO NOT squat down to change the oil on your snowblower when your knees are 40 or more years of age. I did that, resulting in a meniscus tear (picture this: I hear a pop and wonder 'what the heck was that?' so I go up and down, eight or ten squats in quick succession...could hardly walk the next morning) and a scope procedure which caused the doc to tell me: no more running and your knee should last. Ten years later, the knee feels great and I carry 10 extra pounds. (I find I can run slowly about 2.5 miles without pain which probably would not surprise my Jackrabbit teammates who will say I never ran more than 2.5 miles and always ran slowly.)

Oh yeah, get the eight horse engine...I have the five which works just fine 80% of the time but my neighbors have bigger machines.
                            Two observations JD:

1) What kind of a man are you allowing your neighbor to have a bigger snowblower than you have?

2) It sounds like the $60 I paid the snowblower dealer to change the oil & spark plug and do a general tune up this fall was well spent.

Comment

Yeah, now the only way I can one up the neighbors is by getting up earlier to do the driveway and if they're up at the same time, then I take off my coat and act like I'm sweating.

Yep, $60 well spent. But, in addition to pretending I'm a heavy-equipment operator, I also pretend I'm a qualified mechanic so I change the oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X