Off-sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-sides

I know there was talk on here earlier about how UIN drew us off sides and snapped the ball to get a 1st down. I saw the UNI-Southern Illinois game from this past weekend. UNI drew them offsides and got a 1st down, too. They just snapped it to the QB, he dropped back a few yards and knelt down. That's 2 games I've seen them play and 2 games where they've used that. Berry drew them off-sides twice on 1 play and we didn't snap it. I know there is a chance for a fumble but it seems to work for them.

Re: Off-sides

They talk about that on the Stig Show from last week. He basically sounded like he didn't have faith in the qb to pull it off. (not that bluntly) I was a little surprised. I don't think that's too much to ask of an experienced college quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by RunninRabbit View Post
      They talk about that on the Stig Show from last week. He basically sounded like he didn't have faith in the qb to pull it off. (not that bluntly) I was a little surprised. I don't think that's too much to ask of an experienced college quarterback.
      I would think it would be more of a trust issue with the center than the QB. The center is who has to make the split decision that the other player was off-sides and to snap the ball.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by RunninRabbit View Post
        That's not exactly what he said. He said he doesn't trust the officials to actually call the penalty on the defense. He worries that they might call an offensive penalty, or no penalty, in which case your QB is standing there with nothing to do with the ball or worse, there's a fumble and you lose the ball. His basic point was that many bad things could happen and he doesn't trust the officials to make the right call.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

There has been a number of times that we have lined up and tried to pull the opponent offsides in the last couple years. What is the point if you aren't going to snap it?

Sometime when the qb is dancing around and calling an audible they need to snap it. That way the next time the formation comes out the other team will know that we MAY just do it which could result in a penalty. It's a moot point if you aren't going to snap it though.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If the other team jumps and makes contact then the penalty is called.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              That's not exactly what he said. He said he doesn't trust the officials to actually call the penalty on the defense. He worries that they might call an offensive penalty, or no penalty, in which case your QB is standing there with nothing to do with the ball or worse, there's a fumble and you lose the ball. His basic point was that many bad things could happen and he doesn't trust the officials to make the right call.
              I think SDSU tries to get the other team to make contact so offsides will be called.
              I've seen this play happen several times(UNI has done it successful 2 weeks in a row) and the official calls it 95% of the time. The only bad thing that could happen is there could be a fumble. The UIN QB just dropped back 3 yards and took a knee. We had the punt the ball against them because we didn't snap it. What's an extra 3 yards when you can get a 1st down out of it most of the time? I think even if it works 1 out of 10 times, that 1st down should make up for the 27 yards lost.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I think SDSU tries to get the other team to make contact so offsides will be called.
                I've seen this play happen several times(UNI has done it successful 2 weeks in a row) and the official calls it 95% of the time. The only bad thing that could happen is there could be a fumble. The UIN QB just dropped back 3 yards and took a knee. We had the punt the ball against them because we didn't snap it. What's an extra 3 yards when you can get a 1st down out of it most of the time? I think even if it works 1 out of 10 times, that 1st down should make up for the 27 yards lost.
                Both of the attempts in the UNI game were on 4th down. If the QB steps back and takes a knee and the ref doesn't call it then UNI takes the ball over at the point where the QB put his knee down.

One of Stigs big beliefs is you never leave anything to chance.

There have been too many times on the road during transition that a call went the way of the home team so why take a chance on the official making the right call. See if the other team jumps off and makes contact, if they don't let your punter earn his scholarship.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                  Both of the attempts in the UNI game were on 4th down. If the QB steps back and takes a knee and the ref doesn't call it then UNI takes the ball over at the point where the QB put his knee down.

One of Stigs big beliefs is you never leave anything to chance.

There have been too many times on the road during transition that a call went the way of the home team so why take a chance on the official making the right call. See if the other team jumps off and makes contact, if they don't let your punter earn his scholarship.
                  Oops! I forgot about it being 4th down. I think the point is still valid. That call is made 95% of the time. UNI chanced it twice and won 2 weeks in a row. USI did it in that game, too(I'm fairly sure). The odds of drawing them off bad enough to have contact are not very good. There are many times when a delay penalty or timeout can be used to not hurt the team if they don't make contact.

Comment

The worst part was they jumped off-sides 3 times on the same play so there were plenty of opportunities to snap the ball and get the off-sides penalty. I'm not a huge fan of the play as it is, but it worked to perfection 3 times in one play and the only penalty called was a delay of game on SDSU. Just from reading Coach Stig's body language on the sideline, I believe he felt the same way. I didn't ask him so I'm not trying to put words in his mouth. Just my observation.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                    X