McNeese State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNeese State

McNeese will likely be in the top five in every poll when they come to Brookings on Saturday. Our record against the Southland Conference is something like 7-1, however, this will be without a doubt the most talented team we have seen from that conference. Hopefully the week off for our defensive starters will end up being enough to get them back on the field for Hobo Day. We will need to be at full strength for this one!

Re: McNeese State

I must confess that I knew nothing of this university until we played them a few years ago. In fact I still did not know much other than they had a good football team and were located in Louisana. According to wikpedia McNeese State is two years older than I am being founded in 1939 and a spin off of LSU.

Here is an interesting link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McNeese_State_University

Offical website:
    http://www.mcneese.edu/

And athletics:

http://www.mcneesesports.com/

I used to have a link to their fan board but somehow no longer have that. I am sure someone on here has it and I believe a loyal fan of theirs nick named Doc who sometimes stops by will give us the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I must confess that I knew nothing of this university until we played them a few years ago. In fact I still did not know much other than they had a good football team and were located in Louisana. According to wikpedia McNeese State is two years older than I am being founded in 1939 and a spin off of LSU.

Here is an interesting link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McNeese_State_University

Offical website:
      http://www.mcneese.edu/

And athletics:

http://www.mcneesesports.com/

I used to have a link to their fan board but somehow no longer have that. I am sure someone on here has it and I believe a loyal fan of theirs nick named Doc who sometimes stops by will give us the link.
      Here is the Geauxcowboys.com messageboard:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages

Also, here is my page of gameday pictures on Geauxcowboys.com:

Doc's Shots

Doc

Comment

Can Someone post or pm me the ticket office 1-800 number. I am at work and GoJacks is blocked (but I can still get here!).
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

This game will be a tough one to call. We could possibilly have 5 defensive starters out for the game. While I think we have excellent back-ups, missing those guys will hurt. The up side is the bye week after that and getting them healthy for that. I know everyone of them are chomping to get back in there.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
          Last edited by footballfan; 09-29-2008, 10:40 AM.
          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            Can Someone post or pm me the ticket office 1-800 number. I am at work and GoJacks is blocked (but I can still get here!).
            866-Go-Jacks (866-465-2257)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan View Post
              This game will be a tough one to call. We could possibilly have 5 defensive starters out for the game. While I think we have excellent back-ups, missing those guys will hurt. The up side is the bye week after that and getting them healthy for that. I know everyone of them are chopping to get back in there.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
              We all had big concerns about our O-line entering this season. Looked pretty good against YSU and the first half against WIU. Struggled mightily in the 2nd half against WIU, got dominated by UNI, and gave up 7 sacks against SFA. To their credit they held up enough at the end to sneak out of Texas with an unbelievable win against a team that is very use to losing. The O-line needs to play their best game of the year on Hobo Day or McNeese is going to put a hurt on our backs. As for the defense, please get well we need a pass rush for 4 quarters.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                We all had big concerns about our O-line entering this season. Looked pretty good against YSU and the first half against WIU. Struggled mightily in the 2nd half against WIU, got dominated by UNI, and gave up 7 sacks against SFA. To their credit they held up enough at the end to sneak out of Texas with an unbelievable win against a team that is very use to losing. The O-line needs to play their best game of the year on Hobo Day or McNeese is going to put a hurt on our backs. As for the defense, please get well we need a pass rush for 4 quarters.
                The McNeese Schedule is very interesting. They played UNC of the ACC close losing by 12, and then the following week beat a very good Gulf South D2 team Delta State, also Scott Nagy's alma mater by 52-27 and last weeks game was a blowout of a Latter Day Saints team from Virginia, Virginia Southern. I am sure this Virginia Southern was their last choice in terms ofscheduling but that one was 63-0 verdict. Even though the schedule has no FCS teams to date, I think McNeese is a very good ball team. We need to leave our reserved Norwegian-German demeanor at home and get loud and proud at this game. I liked the way some of the D subs stepped up in the second half of the Stephan Austin game and yes I agree our fat guys need to really step up and give Berry time to get his passes off. I sure would like to see Ryan take off running more as he did a couple times in the SAF game. I think with a good crowd our guys will be up and giving it their best effort.

Comment

Saw Schroeder and Campbell on campus. Both are walking fine. Of course it's a long way from walking to playing, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll play.

McNeese is very fast. They're a balanced team. It'll take a good effort. The good news is that they don't play "communist" football like SFA. No more gimmicky schemes... until Oct. 18 when Cal Poly brings their crazy (but usually effective) defense to town. I like our chances better when we can just line up and play football the way we like to play.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    The McNeese Schedule is very interesting. They played UNC of the ACC close losing by 12, .
                    Slight quibble: The Cowboys lost to UNC by 8 (35-27). They also had 22 to 13 edge in first downs and a slight 391 to 384 edge in total yards. They were basically beaten by big plays from UNC's Brandon Tate...who set a UNC record with 397 all purpose yards.

Basically, McNeese was the team that was able to move the ball consistently...move the chains...and North Carolina made more big plays. But the thing that makes me, as a McNeese fan, optimistic, is that McNeese won the battle at the line of scrimmage both ways.

Another thing that makes me optimistic is that McNeese put up more points, more total yards, and more rushing yards on UNC than Rutgers, Virginia Tech, or Miami did.

But we'll see. I think they showed potential in that game but now they've had two off weeks followed by one almost off week. Hopefully the potential will be realized.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnStOnge View Post
                      Slight quibble: The Cowboys lost to UNC by 8 (35-27). They also had 22 to 13 edge in first downs and a slight 391 to 384 edge in total yards. They were basically beaten by big plays from UNC's Brandon Tate...who set a UNC record with 397 all purpose yards.

Basically, McNeese was the team that was able to move the ball consistently...move the chains...and North Carolina made more big plays. But the thing that makes me, as a McNeese fan, optimistic, is that McNeese won the battle at the line of scrimmage both ways.

Another thing that makes me optimistic is that McNeese put up more points, more total yards, and more rushing yards on UNC than Rutgers, Virginia Tech, or Miami did.

But we'll see. I think they showed potential in that game but now they've had two off weeks followed by one almost off week. Hopefully the potential will be realized.
                      Come'on, John, don't start throwing stats and facts around.

After all they have an 8-1 record against the SLC and beat us in 2006. And we got blown out by EWU last season at home in the playoffs last season. Therefore the SLC is an overated conference and McNeese is overated with it.

The speed of our WR's is overblown. I'm sure they can and ought to go to a man to man defense against us. Our Qb can throw a little and run a little but is not real good at either. And our offensive line, even though they are seniors, have spent their career goofing off in the weight room instead of working. And everybody knows we have no depth at runningback. Even with the cast coming off of Elrick Jones hand last week.

On defense, everybody knows we lost our low round NFL draft pick DE, therefore we have nothing left on the defensive line. Allen Nelson is a small linebacker but he is slow. And the db's are all young and inexperienced. Even with Jamelle Juneau back, after missing a year, at FS, I don't know if our secondary can handle the Jacks. Hell, I don't know why North Carolina waited until Jamelle was out of the game with an ankle injury before hitting some of those long passes they hit.

Nah, I think South Dakota St. can handle us without their fans having to worry. After all they have won all but one of the games they have played with with the SLC teams. And they did beat SFA last week. When is the last time, SFA came close to winning a game in the SLC, I forgot?

Doc
                      A fan of the overated McNeese Cowboys.

Comment

Nice Doc...but really now. A) We have done well against the SLC, but every game is a new game. I believe that McNeese has one of its best teams in recent years, right now. B) The only chance we have against them is that when they see all the bums around the town (Hobo Day, u know), they will get real overconfident.

I know one thing for sure. We have to strap it up tight when we play McNeese (I don't think any of us think your team is overrated).

Comment

Originally posted by McNeese72 View Post
                          Come'on, John, don't start throwing stats and facts around.

After all they have an 8-1 record against the SLC and beat us in 2006. And we got blown out by EWU last season at home in the playoffs last season. Therefore the SLC is an overated conference and McNeese is overated with it.

The speed of our WR's is overblown. I'm sure they can and ought to go to a man to man defense against us. Our Qb can throw a little and run a little but is not real good at either. And our offensive line, even though they are seniors, have spent their career goofing off in the weight room instead of working. And everybody knows we have no depth at runningback. Even with the cast coming off of Elrick Jones hand last week.

On defense, everybody knows we lost our low round NFL draft pick DE, therefore we have nothing left on the defensive line. Allen Nelson is a small linebacker but he is slow. And the db's are all young and inexperienced. Even with Jamelle Juneau back, after missing a year, at FS, I don't know if our secondary can handle the Jacks. Hell, I don't know why North Carolina waited until Jamelle was out of the game with an ankle injury before hitting some of those long passes they hit.

Nah, I think South Dakota St. can handle us without their fans having to worry. After all they have won all but one of the games they have played with with the SLC teams. And they did beat SFA last week. When is the last time, SFA came close to winning a game in the SLC, I forgot?

Doc
                          A fan of the overated McNeese Cowboys.
                          Has anyone here uttered a single word that suggests overconfidence about this game? I haven't seen it. I prefer to discuss what people actually say here, not some fantasy "bulletin board" material that doesn't exist. If you have something to say about the game, say it. Obviously, you'd like an opportunity to tell your MSU pals that we're dissing your team on our fan board, but I, for one, am not interested in taking your passive-aggressive bait.

Everybody here knows that McNeese is good. Our home record is good (18-4 since we moved up). It's homecoming here. So it's going to be a tough game.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            Has anyone here uttered a single word that suggests overconfidence about this game? I haven't seen it. I prefer to discuss what people actually say here, not some fantasy "bulletin board" material that doesn't exist. If you have something to say about the game, say it. Obviously, you'd like an opportunity to tell your MSU pals that we're dissing your team on our fan board, but I, for one, am not interested in taking your passive-aggressive bait.

Everybody here knows that McNeese is good. Our home record is good (18-4 since we moved up). It's homecoming here. So it's going to be a tough game.
                            Geeze, do I detect a lack of a sense of humor here?

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by McNeese72 View Post
                              Geeze, do I detect a lack of a sense of humor here?

Doc
                              YUP and Bingo. Seriously its going to be a very good game and the best team will win. The McNeese performance against UNC is impressive no matter how how you dice it. The Jacks are going to have to come with a game plan. I do like our ability to hang no matter what the score board says even if its in Texas and its 34-6 in favor of the opponent.

Comment

Working...
                              X