Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books

I like the idea of new threads. Just wondering what everyone's favorite books are or books that you are currently reading.

Here are my top 3 (in no particular order):

1. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. If you ever had a best friend growing up, then read this book.

2. Marley and Me by John Grogan. If you own a dog and have read this book, you know what I'm talking about.

3. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Just a great, non-stop, action packed book. Pack some religion on top of that and you've got a good one.

Re: Books

My all time favorites in fiction are anything by Terry Pratchett. I'm probably the only human alive who has no interest in reading the DaVinci Code. I don't know why, it's not that I have any problem with the religion or anything, it just doesn't grab me.

I want to read Marley and Me but I'll probably get all weepy 'cause I had to put my old dog to sleep earlier this spring and my wife won't let me get another one (sniff, sniff . . . )
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      I want to read Marley and Me but I'll probably get all weepy 'cause I had to put my old dog to sleep earlier this spring and my wife won't let me get another one (sniff, sniff . . . )
      Well, why didn't you say so...here's how you deal with that.

DIRECTIONS FOR GETTING A NEW DOG:  Starting tonight, go sit on the back step for about 5-8 minutes, then go back in the house, sigh as you walk by the spouse.  If she asks what's up.  Just reply:  "oh, nothing."  Skip tomorrow night.  Then, on the next night, same routine.  For the following five nights, increase time by 2-3 minutes per evening.  On the last evening, as you walk by the spouse, just stop for a second and say kinda quietly:  "I really miss my dog."   You have to say "my" dog, not "our" or "a" or "the" or the dog's name.   Then, be silent (contemplative silence) for a minimum of 30 minutes.  And, like it says on the shampoo bottle we read every day while in the shower (because there's nothing else to read and we're guys who are hard-wired to read something when in the bathroom) rinse, lather and repeat (the next night).

Then, break off the routine but research the heck out of replacement dogs on the internet, local newspaper etc.  After seven days of not mentioning the topic, ask wife during dinner:  "Don't you ever think about getting another dog?"

Give her a couple days.  She'll give in.  You'll have the new dog inside of 20 days.  She'll have a new couch five days earlier.

I've done it twice now. The dogs are not allowed on the couch.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
         I'm probably the only human alive who has no interest in reading the DaVinci Code.

Not true, I have no interest in this book as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
          [quote author=filbert link=1144800158/0#1 date=1144802273] I'm probably the only human alive who has no interest in reading the DaVinci Code.

Not true, I have no interest in this book as well.[/quote]

I didn't either but my Aunt and brother kept telling me how good it was so I decided to give it a shot. It was well worth it.

Comment

I enjoy reading books on "college athletics" I mainly read books about college football/ basketball and on college coaches. If anyone is interested I will give some suggestions.
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
              [quote author=filbert link=1144800158/0#1 date=1144802273] I'm probably the only human alive who has no interest in reading the DaVinci Code.

Not true, I have no interest in this book as well.[/quote]

I also felt no need to read the Davinci Code.  My wife read it, really liked it, so I did.  Great story, therefore a good book.  Interesting information when taken in proper context.  (I am a Catholic convert, raised ELCA Lutheran)

Not reading anything right now.  My spare time is currently devoted to my teaching files which involves a fair amount of reading, which I find enjoyable but that others most likely would not.  Unless you have an interest in Cardiopulmonary physiology.

I can forward a link to my latest publication to anyone interested. Its in the ever popular Amerian Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology ;D
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The Left Behind series by Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye is a very good series which I am currently in the middle of.

Comment

Two books I have read recently are "The Fair Tax" by Neal Boortz and "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. The Fair Tax, is a stirring read that puts facts behind our loathing of the IRS/tax system and also offers a plausible and potential liberating solution.

I definetly recommend the Total Money Makeover, or any other books by Dave Ramsey to anyone no matter their financial position. Dave reinforces the obvious and gets you fired up to take control of your finacial situation.

Comment

I just picked up The Game of Shadows, the book about Bonds and his steroid use. Haven't had a chance to start it yet, but am pretty interested to see what it has to say. I am a HUGE baseball fan and have been more than a little put off about the whole steroid issue for a while now. As a guy who spent 5 years working out 4 days a week and eating everything in sight in an attempt to add weight/muscle to my frame, I would constantly preach to anyone who would listen that there is no way these baseball players were getting that big that quick without help. Anyone who has ever lifted weights for any length of time could see that. Unless your genetically blessed, the vast majority of us could lift every day of our lives and simply end up with an "extremely fit" look.

I'll give my 2 cents when I've read it.

Side Note: I also have the Divinci Code sitting on my fireplace mantle. Everyone keeps telling me to read it. Probably will have to after the Bonds book to see what it's all about.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

My favorites in order:

1) The Things They Carried -- Tim O'brien. Absolutley loved it. Very moving account of the Vietnam War. I got to meet the author when he came to UNC to speak. I got my picture with him. He's a very nice man.

2) The Last Full Measure -- Jeff Shaara. Another moving account of the last days of the Civil War. The only book I teared up after reading.

3) The Da Vinci Code -- Dan Brown. Very exciting book! I can't wait for the movie to come out.

Comment

Great thread. I always enjoy hearing about good reads. Books I enjoyed include

1) Complications by Atul Gawande.

2) And the Sea Will Tell by Vince Bugliosi

Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Finally, something on this board that actually matters!

1. The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science by Tom Bethell. Meticulously researched to demolish all of the things the MSM tells you that just aren't true.
                          2. The DaVinci Hoax by Carl Olson and Sandra Meisel. Ditto as above.
                          3. The New American Militarism by Andrew Bacevich. How and why Americans are seduced by war. Bacevich is a West Point grad, Vietnam vet with a PhD in int'l relations currently on staff at Boston Univ.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
                            Finally, something on this board that actually matters!    

1. The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science by Tom Bethell.  Meticulously researched to demolish all of the things the MSM tells you that just aren't true.
                            2. The DaVinci Hoax by Carl Olson and Sandra Meisel.  Ditto as above.
                            3. The New American Militarism by Andrew Bacevich. How and why Americans are seduced by war.  Bacevich is a West Point grad, Vietnam vet with a PhD in int'l relations currently on staff at Boston Univ.
                            The first two sound like very good reads.

Another I've read was Germs, Guns and Steel. A bit lengthy, but worth reading.

Comment

Geez, I was going to stay away from the "serious" non-fiction I'm currently reading:

Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan
                              Army of Davids by Glenn Reynolds

I finished Shadow War by Richard Minitier a week or so ago.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X