Tight end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight end

What is the coaches problem or Berry's. My god. They might as well not paly with TE on the teams for as much as they use them for pass catching. I'll tell you what, SDSU will not win any tuff games they have to play without utilizing the TE. Cochart had one catch at the beginning of the game for a nice gain. Then he didn't have the ball thrown to him until the end of the fourth quarter.If you noticed the TE was open on the majority of the patterns. I don't know if the play calling coach can't see this or what the problem is. If I can see it and know alot of other fans can see it. To bad we can;t make the coaches aware of this problem of not utilizing the TE's more.oably is part of Berry's problem to as he very seldom looks at the TE. Just for one game I wish they would call 10 passes for the TE, AND I would bet the games after that they would be utilizing the TE AT LEAT THAT MANY TIMES PER GAME, because they would see how they could move the ball. If I can see the problem I would sure as hell hope that the coaches can see this problem. Like I said maybe Bewrry is half the problem by only tghrowing to his favorites. Get rid of the 4 receiver set. Other teams that scout us know what is going to happen. Go with 3 receiver and a TE. I am going to get off here know before I really start to unload.

Re: Tight end

Originally posted by badrabbit View Post
    What is the coaches problem or Berry's. My god. They might as well not paly with TE on the teams for as much as they use them for pass catching. I'll tell you what, SDSU will not win any tuff games they have to play without utilizing the TE. Cochart had one catch at the beginning of the game for a nice gain. Then he didn't have the ball thrown to him until the end of the fourth quarter.If you noticed the TE was open on the majority of the patterns. I don't know if the play calling coach can't see this or what the problem is. If I can see it and know alot of other fans can see it. To bad we can;t make the coaches aware of this problem of not utilizing the TE's more.oably is part of Berry's problem to as he very seldom looks at the TE. Just for one game I wish they would call 10 passes for the TE, AND I would bet the games after that they would be utilizing the TE AT LEAT THAT MANY TIMES PER GAME, because they would see how they could move the ball. If I can see the problem I would sure as hell hope that the coaches can see this problem. Like I said maybe Bewrry is half the problem by only tghrowing to his favorites. Get rid of the 4 receiver set. Other teams that scout us know what is going to happen. Go with 3 receiver and a TE. I am going to get off here know before I really start to unload.
    Having the WR's catch the ball and having the ability to run the ball are probably bigger concerns after the UNI game. I actually think the TE is getting more love this season in the passing game than last year when we had an all-american on the team. This year we have one of the fastest WR's in all of FCS and we never throw it deep to him. That bothers me more than the TE use/non-use.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Just to go on record, I did not create another user name and post the TE rant as badrabbit But I do agree.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

...checking IP addresses for close relatives of tight ends.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
          Having the WR's catch the ball and having the ability to run the ball are probably bigger concerns after the UNI game. I actually think the TE is getting more love this season in the passing game than last year when we had an all-american on the team. This year we have one of the fastest WR's in all of FCS and we never throw it deep to him. That bothers me more than the TE use/non-use.

I completely agree with that MJA. I think that is something my dad and I have discussed after every single game... I just don't get it.

Comment

CatchEm and his doppelganger badrabbit are definitely on to something. We threw four times to tight ends on Saturday. That's four throws out of 53. And as I recall, those were all very safe pitch and catch plays that gained nice yardage.

Cochart and Greving seem to have good hands and can rumble along pretty well.

So let's throw them the ball some more. Instead of running the bubble screen every other play for three terrifying yards, let's mix in another of those safe bootleg passes to the tight end for 22 now and then.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'll admit I don't know how SDSU's offense is structured in terms of priority reads for the QB (none of us does). What I do know is that there are three areas that a tight end is a safe bet for a QB, trouble for a defense, and when used appropiately they open up passing lanes to other receivers and the run game. Seam routes (down the has marks), flat routes 3-5 yards under the corners, and 8-10 yard "option" routes to occupy the inside linebackers. Granted, if those routes aren't in SDSU's offensive sets this is a moot point. But I know any tight end that SDSU has had in the last 20 years that has had success ran those routes effectively and also had a QB that trusted throwing those routes to them. They don't have to be the be-all-end-all of the offense, but hit the TE in the seam or in the flat on a regular basis and watch the deep ball open up as the corners and safeties jump the TE routes.

Thus ends my dissertation on effective use of the tight end in the passing game.

I will add this, I know and trust that Stig and the offensive staff know all of the above and are probably struggling to instill some "confidence" in the QB to look at all of his options in the passing game. I would bet that by week 5 or 6 you'll see a "different" QB making plays (not a new QB, just a more confident one).
              Last edited by CatchEmAll; 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM. Reason: I'm a great tight end mind :)
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I think part of the problem may lie in the O-line. I think they are not quite as consistant this year as last with graduation and injuries what have you. With the line not holding as well maybe that is why they are rolling Berry out on more pass attempts to give him more time to keep defenders away. The line play might also be a concern why we are not seeing deep shots to Harris. If berry does not have enough time it wouldnt matter if we attempt long plays if he has to scramble or get hurried.

second if that is a problem as routes go, the TE is prolly low on the list of recievers to look for. So usually on a play if the main option to throw to is covered he might just be looking for the second option and not looking the options all the way to the TE. Maybe callin set plays for the TE would be more effective if they are not already doing so.

The last reason maybe with the coaches or more importantly the changes from Wilkenson to Bailey. not sure if that would be a factor or not but that the personel this year is hopefully playing to their strengths with the help of the coaching.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Tight End

Unbeleivable! Out of 44 passes thrown only 2 to the tight ends. Either the coaches or Berry have a problem. ANY of the elite teams use there tight end a hell of alot more.
                  I don't know who the play calling coach is but he better wisen up a little or they are going to get beat good by Mc Neese st.

Comment

Re: Tight End

Originally posted by badrabbit View Post
                    Unbeleivable! Out of 44 passes thrown only 2 to the tight ends. Either the coaches or Berry have a problem. ANY of the elite teams use there tight end a hell of alot more.
                    I don't know who the play calling coach is but he better wisen up a little or they are going to get beat good by Mc Neese st.
                    I believe you are chewing out Luke Meadows here. If you take the time to talk to Luke, I am sure he would have an explanation for not using the tight ends more.

Comment

Luke Meadows believes in a grind it out smash mouth type of football. I fully expected that kind of mix this year with him taking over the playcalling. The fact that the offense is being called like it is makes me think he's trying to cover up a weakness. If that is the offensive line then some of the calls we have seen would make sense. Of course, one could argue that some quick outs to Tight Ends would be a way to combat a weak offensive line. I guess I'll defer to the guy that sees the team practice everyday and watches film on the other team. I'm not saying its wrong to question, just saying maybe there is a better question to ask.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Can we combine the two threads already going about tight ends? No sense making a new thread about the tight ends every week. Just keep the old one going.

Comment

I'm not complaining about our passing game. We can throw it to a TE, WR, RB, whomever, I really don't care. We're throwing for around 300 yards per game and completing a very high % of passes. Seems things are going okay with the exception of too many INT's so far.

I think our o-line is weak. We seem to be giving up a lot of sacks this year. Berry gets hit on about every throw and I think he had something like 18 rushes last night. The tells me he's running for his life. I'm guessing our TE's are being used as an extra pass blocker most of the time. Our running game has really went in the toilet since the first couple weeks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                            Can we combine the two threads already going about tight ends? No sense making a new thread about the tight ends every week. Just keep the old one going.
                            Good Point BHM. Done.

Comment

Nidaros, there should not be an explanation for not using the TE. Bottom line is that they should be used alot more, instead of an explaination why they are not being used, The offense would open wide open if they did. End of explaination.

Comment

Working...
                              X