SDSU Classic: Oct 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Classic: Oct 4

SEE THE JACKRABBITS RUN AT HOME AT THE SDSU Classic on October 4: Hobo Day! GoJacks.com lists the time as TBD but I think the meet will start at 11:00 a.m. Teams from U of Minnesota (women -- one of the top women's teams in the country); Nebraska; Northern Iowa; Drake typically appear at the meet. I'm uncertain about which teams will run this year but usually the competition is top notch.

I edited this post: kstate10K correctly pointed out the next meet is the Griak in Minneapolis...thanks kstate10K.
    Last edited by JackJD; 09-20-2008, 08:52 AM.

Re: SDSU Classic: Oct 4

The Jacks run at the Roy Griak one week from today, then return home to host the SDSU Classic on the 4th of October.

On a side note the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches have put out the Preseason Rankings for Cross Country.

The women are 14th in the Midwest region and the men are 15th.

Here is a link to the website:

http://ustfccca.cstv.com/

Comment

Here's your Saturday morning schedule...print, put in pocket, get your running shoes out and start warming up:

1. 8:00 a.m. Bob Bartling Hobo Day 5K sponsored by Prairie Striders link
      2. 9:00 a.m. Hobo Day Parade starts at 9:30 a.m.
      3. 11:00 a.m. SDSU CLASSIC CROSS COUNTRY MEET, Women: 11:00 a.m.; Men: 11:30 a.m. at Edgebrook Gold Course link
      4. Tailgating and then
      5. 2:00 p.m. SDSU v. McNeese football CAS

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Here's your Saturday morning schedule...print, put in pocket, get your running shoes out and start warming up:

1. 8:00 a.m. Bob Bartling Hobo Day 5K sponsored by Prairie Striders link
        2. 9:00 a.m. Hobo Day Parade starts at 9:30 a.m.
        3. 11:00 a.m. SDSU CLASSIC CROSS COUNTRY MEET, Women: 11:00 a.m.; Men: 11:30 a.m. at Edgebrook Gold Course link
        4. Tailgating and then
        5. 2:00 p.m. SDSU v. McNeese football CAS

Go Jacks!
        Can't get much better than that!!

Comment

Should be a very good meet, as the young Jack men get to race on their home course, many for the 1st time.

Comment

Results from the SDSU Classic:

The Jackrabbit women were third and the Jackrabbit men fifth at the SDSU Classic Saturday morning. Both the women's and men's teams are battling through some illness and injury problems.

In the women's race, the 4th-ranked U of Minnesota team won the meet with 24 points followed by the U of Nebraska with 58 points and SDSU with 118. The University of South Dakota was fourth with 144 and NDSU rounded out the top five with 146. SDSU Senior Claire Steinke was the top Jackrabbit, finishing 21st. Fifteen schools competed. For complete results, go to this LINK.

As of this evening (10/5/08) I think the article on GoJacks.com may not be accurate (I hope it gets corrected). I think the official results, linked above, are now accurate (the preliminary results posted right after the race had some errors but I think they've been fixed). The top seven Jackrabbit finishers were: Steinke, 21; Ashley Storm, 24; Nicole Davis, 26; Caitlin Berry, 29; and Amanda Frohling, 31; Kelsey Aune, 32 and Anna Garner, 43. (For those not familiar with scoring in a typical cross country meet: the first five score points and the next two are "pushers" meaning they don't score points but can "push back" other team's top-five runners, thereby giving them more points.)

In the 14-team men's division, Nebraska won the team title with 38 points, followed by NDSU in second with 88 points and Minnesota State U-Mankato in third, also with 88 points but the place decided by the finish of the NDSU and Mankato 6th runners. The SDSU Alumni team assembled by former Jackrabbit runner and coach, Paul Danger, finished fourth with 104 points and the SDSU men finished fifth with 115 points. The men were led by the seventh-place finish of Sophomore Marshall Kambestad who is returning to form. Top seven according to the results linked below: Kambestad, 7; Mike Krsnak, 10; Brad Anderson, 30; Joe Roby, 37; Kyle Schmidt, 53; Lars Mattison, 66; and Todd Vlieger, 74.
            Men's results are HERE.

Former Jackrabbit standout Brad Lowery, running for the SDSU Alumni, won the men's division by 33 seconds, with graduated Nebraska standout now running unattached, Peter Van Westhuizen edging Mankato junior Eric Krajsa for second.

Lowery is working on his graduate degree (he received an NCAA Post-Grad scholarship) and is teaching at SDSU. He's clearly in top running form.
            Last edited by JackJD; 10-05-2008, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X