Measure 10 this fall's ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measure 10 this fall's ballot

Several ads on tv, especially the one with the teacher from Miller SD shown doing her dutiful work as and educator, caught my attention. Might be a friend or acquaintence of MJA. In the background, she tells us that with Measure 10 she will not be able to communicate with legislatators, school board members and so forth. In a state where we value education, communication between teachers and others is very important.

One of few things I recall from my civics class learned in a western Brookings County rural school many years ago was that South Dakota was the first state in the union to add inititiative, referendum and recall to their constitution. These three things allow grass root level efforts to propose laws to the general public at each general election. These would be laws that the legislature refused for consideration or there was no time to take up the issue. It allows changes to laws and I believe besides recalling officals laws on the books can be also be recalled.

It sounds and is a great process for the votiing public. Measure 10 is one of these laws being proposed through this process. From what I can tell its not a good law, but if anyone can offer an opinion otherwise be my guest. This is why I started this thread. The SD Municipal League is against and their site helps explain why.

http://www.sdmunicipalleague.org/ind...EC24EA201EE%7D
    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-21-2008, 05:10 PM.

Re: Measure 10 this fall's ballot

Thanks for the link Nidaros, It's important that we all do the research on the ballot issues as it appears there will be a bunch this fall.

Comment

So far this Message Board has mostly avoided politics in the sense of bashing particular politicians or elected officials and the major political parties. Discussion on initiated or referred measures, however, may be viewed differently...I don't know how the other moderators may view that.

Some ballot measures may generate acrimonious discussion that we may want to avoid because it is so far from the purpose of this board. For example, I am opposed to Measure 10 but the guy I'm high-fiving at a Jacks game when the Jacks score may be in favor of it.

I think I'll poll the moderators about ballot measure threads.

For what it's worth, Measure 10 was not started in South Dakota and foreign measures tend to bother me from the outset. While there may be worthwhile ideas from sources outside the State, there are times when rabble rousers choose South Dakota to launch or promote an idea because it is easier to get on South Dakota's ballot than it is in most states. In the last big election, Amendment E, a cracked-pot idea started by some malcontents in California, was shot down by SD voters with something like 89% voting against it. The promoters used SD as a test bed on that one. As to the merits of Measure 10, well, I have studied it sufficiently to satisfy myself and I'm voting against it.

Comment

I dont have any problem if this thread is deleted or locked. I apologize. I thought it might be of interest since Measure 10 ads seem to run very often over KELO and probably others too. I beginning to think of the lady from Miller SD as a distant relative. She's not though, but looks to be a very fine person.

Comment

So far, lets keep the thread open.

Comment

I'm not sure I could add any more to what JackJD said. I have reviewed as much information as I could find and will be urging everyone I know to vote no on this measure.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think there seems to be people out there that want to make special interests a dirty word simply because they have lobby power and use it at the appropriate time. The truth of the matter is if we are breathing, we are part of special interests who work to pass legislation that is helpful to their constituency. We benefit from special interests even though we might deny their representation. Government is about people, but people can be groups, trade associations, labor unions or any number of groups. They allow the freedom to operate within in certain bounds. Measure 10 seems to want to surpress this actitivty.

Whoever sponsored this measure and got it on the ballot has to have a very narrow prespective and possibly has a completely different concept of Americanism that I have.

We are in my mind still an open society with governement that does work.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                So far this Message Board has mostly avoided politics in the sense of bashing particular politicians or elected officials and the major political parties. Discussion on initiated or referred measures, however, may be viewed differently...I don't know how the other moderators may view that.

Some ballot measures may generate acrimonious discussion that we may want to avoid because it is so far from the purpose of this board. For example, I am opposed to Measure 10 but the guy I'm high-fiving at a Jacks game when the Jacks score may be in favor of it.

I think I'll poll the moderators about ballot measure threads.

For what it's worth, Measure 10 was not started in South Dakota and foreign measures tend to bother me from the outset. While there may be worthwhile ideas from sources outside the State, there are times when rabble rousers choose South Dakota to launch or promote an idea because it is easier to get on South Dakota's ballot than it is in most states. In the last big election, Amendment E, a cracked-pot idea started by some malcontents in California, was shot down by SD voters with something like 89% voting against it. The promoters used SD as a test bed on that one. As to the merits of Measure 10, well, I have studied it sufficiently to satisfy myself and I'm voting against it.
                For someone who want's to void the forum of political threads you seemed to have plenty. to say

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  For someone who want's to void the forum of political threads you seemed to have plenty. to say
                  LOL. I'm not opposed to having a thread or threads on ballot issues. I am not in favor of discussing democrats v republicans, conservatives v liberals, particular candidates and the like because the main purpose of this board is to talk about SDSU. (I'm a good example of why we shouldn't allow purely political discussions: As you note, I seem to have plenty to say and no doubt some will think it's all worthless and wrongheaded! )

The moderators have discussed having a thread on ballot issues and as long as it stays civil, we won't stand in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    LOL. I'm not opposed to having a thread or threads on ballot issues. I am not in favor of discussing democrats v republicans, conservatives v liberals, particular candidates and the like because the main purpose of this board is to talk about SDSU. (I'm a good example of why we shouldn't allow purely political discussions: As you note, I seem to have plenty to say and no doubt some will think it's all worthless and wrongheaded! )

The moderators have discussed having a thread on ballot issues and as long as it stays civil, we won't stand in the way.
                    Backing up JD, keep it civil, no personal attacks, and this can be discussed as may be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I dont have any problem if this thread is deleted or locked. I apologize. I thought it might be of interest since Measure 10 ads seem to run very often over KELO and probably others too. I beginning to think of the lady from Miller SD as a distant relative. She's not though, but looks to be a very fine person.

Any link to the Miller woman's name?
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        Any link to the Miller woman's name?
                        You almost got to eyeball the tv to get her name. Ask any of your relatives in SD, they have seen the ad as it has run quite frequently.

I want to say her name is Iverson, and she apparently is a well thought of as a teacher in Miller. I dont think those with the money doing these ads would pick anyone other than a believeable person, and she is that. I dont think KELO or anyone else has links. Possibly its out on Youtube or maybe a Google on South Dakota Measure 10, might turn up the video. Sorry I can help any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          You almost got to eyeball the tv to get her name. Ask any of your relatives in SD, they have seen the ad as it has run quite frequently.

I want to say her name is Iverson, and she apparently is a well thought of as a teacher in Miller. I dont think those with the money doing these ads would pick anyone other than a believeable person, and she is that. I dont think KELO or anyone else has links. Possibly its out on Youtube or maybe a Google on South Dakota Measure 10, might turn up the video. Sorry I can help any more.

I rarely get back to Miller anymore. I get the Miller Press and keep up on the weekly going's on that way, but little else. When I was in high school and a college freshman, my cousin and I ran the kid's baseball program which included T-ball through Little League. Even the youngest of T-ballers has since graduated high school. I'm afraid I'm a little out of the loop. For what it's worth, the best teacher when I was in high school was Leo Warnke (band director). He was a phenominal teacher.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Iverson seemed right to me. I certainly don't remember her at all from my days in Miller but then again, I left Miller before MJA hit middle school.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                              I rarely get back to Miller anymore. I get the Miller Press and keep up on the weekly going's on that way, but little else. When I was in high school and a college freshman, my cousin and I ran the kid's baseball program which included T-ball through Little League. Even the youngest of T-ballers has since graduated high school. I'm afraid I'm a little out of the loop. For what it's worth, the best teacher when I was in high school was Leo Warnke (band director). He was a phenominal teacher.
                              And as in my case has since graduated college That ought to make you feel old MJA. Seems like only yesterday I was a little leaguer....man how time flies. And for what it's worth three consecutive posts from Miller natives. Probably some sort of record.

I did have Eleanor Iverson as a teacher and she was very good. Taught 9th grade English and Senior English Comp. Can't remember the other classes she took.

Comment

Working...
                              X