This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Langers Editorial Brookings Register

Can someone from Brookings attach the editorial from Jim on the Blog I would like to see it. I guess it is true you don't don't tug on Supermans cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the ol Lone Ranger and you don't mess aroung with Jim.

Re: Jim Langers Editorial Brookings Register

I wasn't aware of it. Can you fill us in on the basics?

Comment

Jim was tailgating at the game and witnessed the UPD going on their normal power trip. He was disappointed in their actions and called them out on it.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
        Jim was tailgating at the game and witnessed the UPD going on their normal power trip. He was disappointed in their actions and called them out on it.
        I don't know if a letter to the editor was the best way to go about it but I haven't seen the letter. I know in the area of the YJC and Dykhouse tailgate sites the UPD was unnecessarily present at halftime and after the game. I'm not sure where Jim was at. I won't go as far as to say they were harassing anyone but they sure weren't encouraging alumni present to support SDSU to enjoy themselves and consider coming back again. Now, I don't believe its part of the UPD's mission to be ambassadors for the university but I think they do need to tone things down a bit. Perhaps some education is in order, I don't know.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The letter is not yet available on the online edition. I read the article & summarizes what others have mentioned already in this thread & others.....with the addition of a former fb player being arrested for failure to vacate, etc. Basically said the UPD & others should take a look at how other universities (Iowa State) handle tailgate security, etc. Mentioned tailgating should be fun & adds to the game day experience....

Comment

Jim was over in the northern parts of the tailgate area by the Chain Gang. I witnessed the UPD badgering too. Nothing wrong was being done in the one occassion I did witness. Several students and alumni were just playing lawn games in an open area and the UPD told them to move elsewhere.

Comment

There's going to be a story about the events. But, Oien supposedly supported the decision to arrest the guy.

Comment

From what I heard, the guy that was arrested probably deserved it. Can't be swearing at cops, don't care who you are and even if they are the UPD, not wise.
                But the other things I've been hearing, the UPD needs to tone it down a bit IMHO. They're asking for reaction with some of the methods they use out in the tailgating area.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

You should see them at basketball games. Most of their attention is focused on a few individuals and harassing them the whole game. And chewing them out after the game. UPD needs to get off their high horse and let people have good, safe fun....

Comment

It can't be easy for the UPD to enforce the policy of having tailgators vacate the Backyard before the game. I think enforcing the policy has had an impact on increasing our attendence. I'm sure there is a balance for the UPD to be firm and respectful. I had an incident last year in the parking lot of Frost. Tim Heaton the Chief of Police badgered me the whole way into Frost prior to a basketball game for turning into a parking spot at the wrong angle. I finally told him to write me a ticket if he was so inclined so I didn't have to listen to his negative monologue. These guys typically have more of a power trip than a regular cop.

Comment

The former student-athlete was arrested in front of his parents and daughters along with other mid aged alumni and other friends of the University. I know the parents are very large donors and have had other family members work at SDSU. It was not a drunken rampage by some punk young alumni. I was told from eye witnesses they were putting things away and finishing the last round of beverages.

I agree with the rule/policy to have tailgating shut down thirty minutes to kickoff. I just hope something positive happens to tailgating before it turns real ugly.

As far as the comment that Dr. Oien supported the person being arrested. I not sure he has a choice but to show support for the UPD. My guess athletics it the public liaison to tailgating but, risk management officials probably have the overall authority for regulating tailgating.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Per request, I've quote Jim Langer's letter below. I'm not sure how much I want to get into the comments on the board about this subject, but will note there was apparently a change in the policy this fall, in that cans and bottles no longer could be in cuzzies, requiring all beverages to be in cups. We were informed of that by UPD, and nobody had a problem with it in our area. I've heard both sides of the arrest story, but have no direct knowledge of it. Here's the letter:

"My boys and I traveled to Brookings this past weekend to support the Jacks in their game against Western Illinois. We follow the team quite closely. They are a great bunch of young men and well coached.
                        We enjoy the tailgating also. It gives us a chance to visit old friends and make new ones it is what college football is all about. Traveling to Iowa State earlier this year was just a treat. It was one of the finest examples of a university maximizing fan enjoyment of college football. Thousands tailgated and it was great.
                        I wish I could be as positive about the SDSU tailgating experience . The security presence was overbearing. I sat visiting with some old players for 30 minutes and was circled five times by a squad car.
                        You wouldn't make it five feet with an uncovered beer can or bottle without being verbally reprimanded to "cover that can or dump it out." We saved a group of "seasoned" alumni who had mistakenly set up to tailgate in what was "off limits." We hailed them over the "Chain Gang" oasis and saved their day.
                        In short, the security was over the top. They were unfriendly, in your face, and it appears to me, looking for trouble. Why, I heard they even handcuffed a former SDSU athlete for failing to vacate the tailgating area prior to the game. How wonderful.
                        I would suggest those in charge of this "Security Detail" be given a trip to Iowa State to experience their tailgating. In the meantime, some friendly greeting from the guards like "welcome to SDSU," or maybe "let us know if we can help you enjoy your stay" would be much better than "vacate the lot NOW" "
                        Let's not forget tailgating is a major part of the college game. It builds fan support and loyalty (like NDSU). We can do this people, and have a good time supporting the Jacks. Jim Langer SDSU Class of 1970 NFL Hall of Fame 1987"

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                          The former student-athlete was arrested in front of his parents and daughters along with other mid aged alumni and other friends of the University. I know the parents are very large donors and have had other family members work at SDSU. It was not a drunken rampage by some punk young alumni. I was told from eye witnesses they were putting things away and finishing the last round of beverages.

I agree with the rule/policy to have tailgating shut down thirty minutes to kickoff. I just hope something positive happens to tailgating before it turns real ugly.

As far as the comment that Dr. Oien supported the person being arrested. I not sure he has a choice but to show support for the UPD. My guess athletics it the public liaison to tailgating but, risk management officials probably have the overall authority for regulating tailgating.
                          I wasn't there to witness the incident, but I'm guessing this is likely the reason why things went down. I'm not saying they couldn't be more tactful in interacting with fans, but it is their job to enforce the rules and if people blatantly break the rules (drinking in lot after game when not supposed to) they are likely going to do something about it.

My experience was good after the game. Me and friend finished cleaning up tailgate area and moved my truck to watch the postgame press conference on the scoreboard. Not once talked to by any UPD.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            It can't be easy for the UPD to enforce the policy of having tailgators vacate the Backyard before the game. I think enforcing the policy has had an impact on increasing our attendence. I'm sure there is a balance for the UPD to be firm and respectful. I had an incident last year in the parking lot of Frost. Tim Heaton the Chief of Police badgered me the whole way into Frost prior to a basketball game for turning into a parking spot at the wrong angle. I finally told him to write me a ticket if he was so inclined so I didn't have to listen to his negative monologue. These guys typically have more of a power trip than a regular cop.
                            I fully respect the job the UPD is asked to do. I, however cannot understand the methods in which they try and do their job. If they offered a little respect they will get respect in return. When you rudely challenge people like they do you can expect a rude reaction. I am sure Dr. Oien has to show support for the UPD - he is in a tough position. I have been to several other stadiums and have never witness anything like the overbearing approach the UPD in Brookings takes. Tailgating is an important part of the college football atmosphere. The Jacks are 2 - 0 in conference with two huge wins and we are talking about issues with tailgating. Something is wrong with this story!

UPD - show a little love.

Go big, go blue, go JACKS!

Comment

I've talked to a few people that witnessed the incident and have a couple of quick comments:

1. I don't agree with the way UPD has handled things to this point. Definitely seems overbearing for a crowd that has pretty much behaved itself. They do have a job to do and it can't be fun being the party killers. Just do it with a little more class.

2. If we want to have a tailgate the UPD is going to be there. Tailgating has been a great addition and there haven't been too many issues to the last couple years. My guess if the AD has about zero control over the UPD. Hopefully a discussion on how things were handled last week has happened at some level.

3. There are things that you just can't say to someone in uniform. That line was apparently crossed and an arrest was made. The way the UPD acted up to that point needs improvement but you still can't cross that line.

This can be prevented in the future if UPD shows a little more respect and the fans do the same. Mr. Langer makes a great point in the fact that tailgating builds a lot of support for SDSU in all areas not just athletics. Hopefully the UPD understands that these are some of SDSU's "best customers". UPD has a job to do and need to be firm because we've all seen people "get an inch and take a mile" but there is a way to do that in a classy way. A little further training by Chief Heaton would help the situation.

Hobo Day is in a couple weeks and with any luck the Jacks will have a couple more W's under their belt which will lead to a great atmosphere. Let's all learn from these events and move on.

Onward and upward!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X