Concerts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerts

I went to see the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on Saturday night.  They have been playing since 1966 and still put on a very enjoyable show.  There were a lot of people there with gray hair and very little hair at all.  There were also a lot of younger people (in their 20's) and they seemed to enjoy the show just as much as us old folks did.

It was at a new concert venue opened up just in time for the Sturgis Rally and it looked like it was sort of a dress rehearsal for the management.  It was a lot of fun and a great early rally kickoff.

After attending a lot of outdoor concerts here in the summertime I have a hard time enjoying concerts in arenas that have accoustics which serve basketball so much better.

Re: Concerts

Bright Eyes and Thrice have both confirmed playing concerts in Sioux Falls. Thrice is October 24th with Bright Eyes the following night. Two very different styles but I enjoy both bands. I will for sure be there for the Bright Eyes show and possibly for the Thrice one too.

Comment

Went to Wilco on Tuesday in a place called "The Eagle's Ballroom" in downtown Milwaukee this last week. What a great performance. Their new album "Sky Blue Sky" is awesome. If you watch TV and find yourself wondering "who sings that song?" when watching a volkswagen commercial, that's Wilco. Front man Jeff Tweedy is a Chicago native. Great music. If you're looking for the best album as a starter album if you're looking to give Wilco a test run, then go for "A Ghost is Born". Best album they have, in my humble opinion.

(FYI: the Eagles Ballroom is a converted "ballroom" from the days of prohibition. It was supposedly a favorite hangout for the mafia in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. Now it serves as a staging area for alternative, hard rock and rap acts.)
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Also, have to say, since I'm likely talking to myself in this oft looked over thread, that if you get the chance, catch Roger Waters as he's going around the country right now. Saw him towards the end of the summer and he's playing most of "The Dark Side of the Moon" album as well as some of the good songs from "Animals" and some from "The Wall". Great show. Top 5 all time that I've been to. He may be slowing down over the winter, but look him up online, find him, and make arrangements to see him. If you are a Pink Floyd fan, you'll thank yourself for doing it.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
          Went to Wilco on Tuesday in a place called "The Eagle's Ballroom" in downtown Milwaukee this last week. What a great performance. Their new album "Sky Blue Sky" is awesome. If you watch TV and find yourself wondering "who sings that song?" when watching a volkswagen commercial, that's Wilco. Front man Jeff Tweedy is a Chicago native. Great music. If you're looking for the best album as a starter album if you're looking to give Wilco a test run, then go for "A Ghost is Born". Best album they have, in my humble opinion.

(FYI: the Eagles Ballroom is a converted "ballroom" from the days of prohibition. It was supposedly a favorite hangout for the mafia in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. Now it serves as a staging area for alternative, hard rock and rap acts.)
          I've heard a lot of good things about Wilco from my friends. Have yet to hear him though.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
            I've heard a lot of good things about Wilco from my friends. Have yet to hear him though.
            Wilco's great. There's a documentary film about them you should get from Netflix or something. It's called "I am trying to break your heart" and chronicles the making of their best-selling album "Yankee, Hotel, Foxtrot".

The film is also a great lesson about the hypocrisy and greed of the giant, evil record companies. It get shown in a lot of Intro to Mass Comm classes because it makes so many good points about the creative process, about the record industry, and about documentary filmmaking.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post

Going to see Wilco in Detroit on Thursday. Saw them in Sioux Falls a few years ago at Washington Pavillion and that was a fantastic venue to see/hear a band with that much going on in the music.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                Going to see Wilco in Detroit on Thursday. Saw them in Sioux Falls a few years ago at Washington Pavillion and that was a fantastic venue to see/hear a band with that much going on in the music.
                You're in for a treat. They really sounded good. Amazing what getting off the drugs and having a good homelife can do for Jeff Tweedy. They played a good mix of their old stuff and their new stuff, including my favorite song off their new album. Let me know how they sounded on your side of the lake.

Comment

the last show that i went to was Daft Punk..it was an ultimate music experience 4 me.

Comment

Working...
                  X