Hobo Day Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo Day Parade

Just inquiring about what the status of the Hobo Day Parade is? Obviously we are still just under three weeks away, but it is also obvious the little downtown demolition will not be done by then.

Re: Hobo Day Parade

The parade will turn south one block before reaching main street. Not the best, but they had no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      The parade will turn south one block before reaching main street. Not the best, but they had no choice.
      So 1 block west of Main?

Comment

East of Main

Comment

They will turn by First Bank and Trust and Pizza Hut.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
            They will turn by First Bank and Trust and Pizza Hut.
            Correct, one block east of main they will turn left (south) and head past First Bank and Trust's new building. I'm pretty sure they have used that route in the past. I don't remember exactly why but I think it has happened.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

They have used that way, but then went to Main Street and back north. This time it will go south on Fifth Avenue and end at the south end, as I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                They have used that way, but then went to Main Street and back north. This time it will go south on Fifth Avenue and end at the south end, as I understand it.
                Sitting in Atlanta, I don't have any answer, but why wouldn't they swing two blocks west, then north to finish into the parking lot at movie theatres/(I knew it as Red Owl)/Fergens?

Comment

Anyone have comment as to why that downtown area isn't finished yet?

Comment

It's all a big plot by the City of Brookings to try to keep the bar crowds to a minimum during Hobo Days.
                    Those trenches in the middle of the street are vicious!

They're still working on a similar plan for Pub Crawl in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                      Got started late, ran into unexpected problems during the first phase, lots of rain this spring slowed things down...not that I think thats acceptable. I feel bad for the downtown businesses.

I heard an interesting quote on the radio this summer about it. One of the guys from the city council wouldn't admit that the project was behind schedule, their statement was they wouldn't know until the final day of the contract (October 4th I think?) whether the project was behind schedule, based on if the project was done or not by that date. Yeah right....if their project planning is that piss poor then its no wonder they are behind schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post
                        It's all a big plot by the City of Brookings to try to keep the bar crowds to a minimum during Hobo Days.
                        Those trenches in the middle of the street are vicious!

They're still working on a similar plan for Pub Crawl in the spring.
                        At this rate, the trenches in the streets will still be there during the pub crawl. Its been what, 3 if not 4 solid months and they are finally finishing up the first block (and its not even completely done yet).

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                          If you've even been part of a downtown construction project, you would know it's not like working out on a highway.

Comment

They've run into a lot of surprises when they got under Main Avenue. The steam tunnels weren't where they were supposed to be. They found an old vault near George's (formerly a bank), and on and on and on. They're sort of stuck blindly digging to figure out what's there. That's what happens when you do a major rebuild of a very old street. I was sad to see the trees go, but I know the end result will be nice after a few years.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              They've run into a lot of surprises when they got under Main Avenue. The steam tunnels weren't where they were supposed to be. They found an old vault near George's (formerly a bank), and on and on and on. They're sort of stuck blindly digging to figure out what's there. That's what happens when you do a major rebuild of a very old street. I was sad to see the trees go, but I know the end result will be nice after a few years.
                              This is about as good as you can put it. They reported on Brookings Radio that when they hit the steam tunnels, they could have worked around them. They asked the city if they wanted them fixed since they were wrong. I think the city council decided to get it fixed as long as they were there anyway. That put them a couple weeks behind.
                              I don 't remember hearing about the other roadblocks but I haven't really looked into it.
                              I didn't listen real close but that's what I THOUGHT I heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X