Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television

Add USD to the list of schools with a TV deal. Any news on SDSU and a possible contract?

Re: Television

Not hearing anything.

We're more focused on actually filling seats with paying customers right now. I'd like to see some of our away games get picked up, though. That's generally a better option. I'm sure many of the MVFC teams have local TV deals where KELO, KSFY, KDLT or Mediacom could pick up the feed and broadcast it here.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
      Add USD to the list of schools with a TV deal. Any news on SDSU and a possible contract?
      I think you can loosely define it as a "TV Deal". Its more like they will be on TV this year.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

One more reason for USD supporters to not come and spend their money in Vermillion/USD. As if that home schedule wasn't enough of a reason.

I'll stand behind the SDSU Athletic Dept. on this issue until I'm proven wrong. They've earned my patience the past 5 years.

Now having every away game on the tube, that would be great, but probably out of SDSU's athletic dept.'s hands for the most part.

BTW, if you think that Midcontinent is doing this for free, you're sorely mistaken. Funny how that question wasn't asked by the Argus. IMO the boys down south are going to find that $$ is hard to come by in the transition. And paying for "home games" to be on TV so people can sit at home and NOT come spend money at the "The Dump" TM, maybe the first thing to go by next year or the year after...just MHO of course.

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

You means besides this from yesterday?

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...31/1002/sports

Jacks football, volleyball gain exposure

Mediacom agrees to air home games

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • September 9, 2008

South Dakota State has added another piece to its growing promotional package.

Cable provider Mediacom Communications has agreed to air SDSU home games for football and volleyball on a tape-delayed basis and 30-minute, weekly coaches' shows for those same sports.

The Nana Allison-Brewer Show will air at 1:30 p.m. Fridays on the Connections Channel prior to a replay of any home volleyball action from that week, while the John Stiegelmeier Show will begin at 4:30 p.m. Fridays followed by a replay of the previous week's game provided it was held in Brookings.

According to Phyllis Peters, communications director for Mediacom, the SDSU programming will air throughout the communities that the company serves in South Dakota, Iowa and Minnesota and in parts of Illinois and Wisconsin. Mediacom, a company with 1.5 million subscribers in 24 states, has similar agreements with several other NCAA Division I schools including Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Missouri, Missouri State, Nebraska and Western Illinois. . . . (read more)

Go State!
          Last edited by 89rabbit; 09-10-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I cant wait for the USD vs Culver Stockton game. Gosh its free if you live in Sioux Falls. I will have to drive down and visit my brother.

How is the Medicomm different from USD and Mid Continent? Its not as I believe SDSU is trying to connect with Midcontinent and probably the same terms as indicated in Terry's article.

Comment

Thanks for the smart-ass reply 89. Sorry if I don't read the Argus each day.

Anyone have any comparisions concerning Mediacom and Midco? How many towns in South Dakota get Mediacom as opposed to Midco? I am not familiar with Mediacom at all.

Do those of you that have been downplaying the Augie and USD contracts think it is a bad idea for SDSU to hook up with Mediacom? How about in the future if they hook up with Midco?

Comment

I suppose you could constue this as a smart ass post deserving of a smart ass reply. Do you suppose watcher?

I think its clear that you believe SDSU has handled this media thing inappropriately and that you would like us to behave more like Augustana or USD. We aren't Augustana or USD and I like the way SDSU has handled things so far. I think I will let those in charge continue to make decisions regarding media contracts.

I like the option of watching SDSU events on a tape-delayed basis especially if it is financially favorable for SDSU, which I understand this agreement is. I wasn't aware the Mediacom and Midcontinent were different. Here in Yankton they are the same.

Lastly, I don't think people are "downplaying" the agreements between those other schools and the cable providers. If the arrangements that are in place satisfy those institutions and their fan base, good for them.

Back to the smart ass stuff if you would like.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Doc, Midcontinent bought out some of the Mediacomm franchises a little over a year ago. Those include Yankton and Vermillion. Mediacomm is still active in Brookings and some other SD communities but not in Yankton.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                    Doc, Midcontinent bought out some of the Mediacomm franchises a little over a year ago. Those include Yankton and Vermillion. Mediacomm is still active in Brookings and some other SD communities but not in Yankton.
                    That makes prefect sense and I figured it was something like this. In the past they have broadcast these Mediacom events on Midcontinent here in Yankton so it may be available here. I have Knology so it doesn't matter at my house.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

No jackmd, nothing more than a consice question without getting into details about someone else's deal.

You are right. I have been very open about my thoughts concerning a TV deal for SDSU. But no, I don't want us to behave like USD or Augie. I want us to behave like a D1 university and get a TV deal with the largest cable provider in the area, or with KELO TV, which has the largest coverage area and the most viewers in the state. I want us to get a TV deal that has actual production value, rather than 3 or 4 cameras, or however many they use, and a radio replay. I want events live, not delayed until several days later.

Also, I will answer one of my own questions. After I got off work, I looked it up. Mediacom is available in the following cities in South Dakota:
                      Arlington, Aurora, Brookings, Bruce, Castlewood, DeSmet, Egan, Elkton, Estelline, Flandreau, Hayti, Lake Norden, Lake Preston, Volga, and White.

Comment

Live in Arlington and got Medicomm. The Mid Continent deal that USD has includes Sioux Falls, but according to the Argus article SDSU is working on getting the same deal with Mid Continent, so our decision makers are on the right track. The tape delays will motivate people to attend the next home game as a paying ticket holder. Nothing wrong with that.

So basically USD and Augie deals are nothing to worry about. Its about what they are paying out to get the exposure is the issue and can they attract advertizers to pay for the cost of the tv coverage. The Argus article states SDSU will pay out nothing. Mediacom also show Stig show and tape delay of games in Minnesota and Iowa, so it will work.

BTW, 89 rabbit was responding to Jimmy Jack's comment that he had heard nothing recently. Jimmy is on campus and has knowledge of updated details on a number of subjects. 89 was not trying to be smart, but helpful to all of us reading this message board.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-10-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

No jackmd, nothing more than a consice question without getting into details about someone else's deal.

You are right. I have been very open about my thoughts concerning a TV deal for SDSU. But no, I don't want us to behave like USD or Augie. I want us to behave like a D1 university and get a TV deal with the largest cable provider in the area, or with KELO TV, which has the largest coverage area and the most viewers in the state. I want us to get a TV deal that has actual production value, rather than 3 or 4 cameras, or however many they use, and a radio replay. I want events live, not delayed until several days later.

Also, I will answer one of my own questions. After I got off work, I looked it up. Mediacom is available in the following cities in South Dakota:
                          Arlington, Aurora, Brookings, Bruce, Castlewood, DeSmet, Egan, Elkton, Estelline, Flandreau, Hayti, Lake Norden, Lake Preston, Volga, and White.
                          I'm not sure getting a TV deal with the largest cable provider in our area or KELO TV is a high priority for SDSU right now. If you ask Fred or his people they tell you that they are working on getting more media exposure for SDSU athletics. I think thats a good policy.

I'm not sure if most of the programs in the Missouri Valley FB conference or Summit League have deals like jackwatcher is describing or not. I guess I don't think that they do but I could be wrong.

I'd rather focus on recruiting and keeping quality athletes and students, getting and keeping great coaches, complying with all DI rules and regulations, upgrading athletic and academic facilities, optimizing our exposure through current outlets, etc....

I put a deal like the one your talking about a little further down the list. Now, if KELO or Midcon comes in and says they have sponsors in place and want to put us on TV and are even willing to pay us for the rights, SIGN ME UP! Of course, that ain't happening right now.

Comment

I'm not too sure that KELO would even be in the picture. KELO has tied themselves to Sanford with their weather cams etc. KSFY has the Avera Webcams along with Avera Health Minute. I would guess that with SDSU's ties to Avera and Orthopedic Institute we should probably looking at the possiblity of a deal with KSFY or one of the cable providers.

Comment

The game replays and coaches shows are playing in South Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa. Mediacom is all over Iowa and has a lot of the markets outside of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. So there's a lot of recruiting and some branding value there.

Regarding a TV deal, you realize that to get a deal we'd have to PAY for it, right? Nobody is knocking on our door offering to pay the university for rights. They're not even knocking on the door and offering to do it for nothing.

After we pay them to broadcast, how many people stay home? We'll lose that ticket revenue on top of the broadcast fee. And what's the payback? How do you measure the public relations value of that broadcast? And what kind of viewership could we expect? 1,500 homes? 2,500? 10,000? What is that worth?

The smarter play, in my opinion, is to build in-person attendance because that creates long-term relationships with paying customers. Our season ticket sale are way up. That's money and that's long-term relationship value. We averaged more than 11,000 fans per game last year. That'll be up again this year, I'd bet.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X