Gameday Atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gameday Atmosphere

Thought I'd start this thread to take this stuff off the game thread.

My thoughts:

1. I have no problem with some of the east side going to reserved but changing the whole side is just wrong. Take the middle three sections as reserved and one more over for visiting teams. Leave the rest as GA. As it is now there is barely 1000 available GA seats of 15000 seats. That's a money grab beyond any NFL or MLB team. They could have moved the east side to complete reserved over a two or three year conversion and I would have no problem with it. They also do need to provide more GA seating. I would be willing to bet more than 2/3 of the people in those bleachers paid GA only.

2. The cowbell is a conference thing then thats the way it is. We'll have to get off our duffs and use the tools that God gave us, our hands and our voices. Blue you know I love you, but I don't understand why you are so vocal about the cowbell, I have never seen you shake one at a game.

3. The student section was awesome. Started the game mostly packed and they must have been a bit full because I am sure I counted 4 bathroom stalls covered with puke.

4. The only way to get the rest of the fans to stand up is get enough people down low enough to get up and scream a bit. Then everyone else must also stand up.

5. The pride did a nice job. One question for those who were members of the pride. Why do they basically go quiet after half time. It just seemed like the air went out of the place after that.
    Last edited by EQguy; 09-07-2008, 11:21 AM. Reason: Added pride thoughts
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Gameday Atmosphere

I agree with your post regarding the East side. But here was the problem from yesterdays game. We bought our seats on that side. SDSU students and fans with GA tickets came over to that side and were turned away by the ROTC and told they could sit at the far southeast section. Instead of making the students/GA walk on the grass over to the last section, they walked through the seats and sat down. The ROTC (one person at each set of steps) couldn't watch where they were going. We didn't sit in our seats because they were taken by someone else. Since there was extra room, we didn't complain. But if they are going to charge $16 for a "reserved" seat, they need to do a better job of seating the fans in the seats they pay for.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

It should be noted for those not in attendance that at halftime, "checks" exceeding $2 million were presented to the university by representatives of the grains industry. The agri-business community continues to be a huge supporter of SDSU.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        One question for those who were members of the pride. Why do they basically go quiet after half time. It just seemed like the air went out of the place after that.
        I heard a few things about that. Here:

http://www.sdsufans.com/board/showpo...&postcount=111
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

My thoughts:

1. I have no problem with some of the east side going to reserved but changing the whole side is just wrong. Take the middle three sections as reserved and one more over for visiting teams. Leave the rest as GA. As it is now there is barely 1000 available GA seats of 15000 seats. That's a money grab beyond any NFL or MLB team. They could have moved the east side to complete reserved over a two or three year conversion and I would have no problem with it. They also do need to provide more GA seating. I would be willing to bet more than 2/3 of the people in those bleachers paid GA only.

2. The cowbell is a conference thing then thats the way it is. We'll have to get off our duffs and use the tools that God gave us, our hands and our voices. Blue you know I love you, but I don't understand why you are so vocal about the cowbell, I have never seen you shake one at a game.

3. The student section was awesome. Started the game mostly packed and they must have been a bit full because I am sure I counted 4 bathroom stalls covered with puke.

4. The only way to get the rest of the fans to stand up is get enough people down low enough to get up and scream a bit. Then everyone else must also stand up.

5. The pride did a nice job. One question for those who were members of the pride. Why do they basically go quiet after half time. It just seemed like the air went out of the place after that.
          I had a conversation with some friends after halftime about the east side thing and had the same conclusion as yours, have some of it, but all of it...really?

I've tried #4 for football and basketball, all it gets you is people behind you pissing and moaning.

Comment

Let em piss and moan. Its hard, but if you can take it a bit then maybe some others around you that were too shy to do it will join you.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

On a positive note....man I love tailgating, even in a little bit of rain.

Comment

On another note. I know that it was mentioned here several times but I was blown away by how much the look of the stadium changed by removing the trees. It really took away the coziness of the stadium.
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

On another note. I know that it was mentioned here several times but I was blown away by how much the look of the stadium changed by removing the trees. It really took away the coziness of the stadium.
                  It definitely did. It was fun to see the tailgate area, though. And once it got dark, the absence of trees wasn't very noticeable. Day games might look kind of desolate for a couple of years.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I haven't ordered my Hobo Day tickets yet and this talk has me a bit concerned. I did not sit down once in Ames (even at half time). I hope to do pretty much the same at Hobo Day. What is the best section to get my tickets in if I want to stand most of the game?
                    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

My thoughts:

The Seats on the East Side are all prime seats and I don't know how you make some reserved and some not. I respect the administration for trying to generate more revenue in football. I think it's a good sign that demand for the football product is there and we can finally treat it like a core business for the athletic department. Let's face it whether you are looking for a general session seat or reserved seat it's a great price/value. Times are changing and I'm on board with those decisions that have to be made in order to maximize revenue and improve the gameday atmosphere.

Comment

One thing I'd like to see with the renovated CAS is to have the grandstand seating slope be steep enough so that the standing in front of grumpy old folks problem isn't that big of an issue.

And, a more steeply sloped stadium would create more of a wall-of-people effect for the players on the field, I think.

Of course, you'd get the usual grumbles from the usual people about how hard it is to climb up to the top . . . "it's too steep!" These would probably be some the same people who yell "Sit down!" at the excited fans in front of them, though. You just can't win.

My $0.02.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This was a conversation started in the Youngstown State thread, but it makes more sense here, so I'm just kind of moving (reposting) it. And...go:

OK, revised plan for what it's worth: Sell the northern section (or part of it) on the west side as reserved seats for the visiting school. They would be next to SDSU adults, but when there's a big crowd fans from the other school are near SDSU fans even now. Then move the students (and band?) to the east. You might not be able to sell any reserved seats on the east side, but...well, they're pretty crappy bleachers if truths were to be told. Anyhow, just my two cents that seems smarter than the current plan. At least to me. But what do I know?
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Of course, you'd get the usual grumbles from the usual people about how hard it is to climb up to the top . . . "it's too steep!" These would probably be some the same people who yell "Sit down!" at the excited fans in front of them, though. You just can't win.
                            That hit the nail on the head. You will never make everyone happy.

Maybe one of the things they can look at is coverage for the seating areas when the additions are made to the stadium. Something that would cover the fans from rain/snow would encourage more fans to come during questionable weather. I brought a rain coat yesterday just in case it rained. Sucked that I had to hold it the entire time but I was prepared for rain if it came.

I have no problems with fans standing for the game. I know I jumped up at every chance for a big play or a nice defensive stop. I'm sure I iritated a few people on the East side but it will happen.

Noticed this year different vendors are selling food at the game (Nick's and the B-B-Q Shack (hope that was the correct name)). Like every Jack's fan, I have eaten at Nick's. I haven't eaten at the B-B-Q Shack yet (it is located in the parking lot by Brookings Auto Mall). I have heard good things so I will have to check them out.
                            Last edited by bub94; 09-08-2008, 09:44 AM.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              One thing I'd like to see with the renovated CAS is to have the grandstand seating slope be steep enough so that the standing in front of grumpy old folks problem isn't that big of an issue.

And, a more steeply sloped stadium would create more of a wall-of-people effect for the players on the field, I think.

My $0.02.
                              And I'd like to see a few inches more legroom. Getting in and out of the middle of our row is really an inconvenience for everybody.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X