Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tight end

I don't understand why the TE is not used more. Berry threw one
    completion to a TE and the other throw to the TE was badly overthrown.
    They have a very talented TE in Cochart as Coach Stig had commented about. He has the speed and is a great pass catcher. It seems like Berry is only looking at one guy most of the time and the defenses pick up on that, and other teams watching film of us know that to. If they key on that one person they will stop us. He needs to look at alternate receivers such as the TE. I THINK IF THEY WOULD USE THE TE THEY COULD MOVE THE BALL UP AND DOWN THE FIELD ALOT BETTER.

Re: tight end

Originally posted by badrabbit View Post
    They have a very talented TE in Cochart as Coach Stig had commented about. He has the speed and is a great pass catcher. It seems like Berry is only looking at one guy most of the time and the defenses pick up on that, and other teams watching film of us know that to. If they key on that one person they will stop us. He needs to look at alternate receivers such as the TE. I THINK IF THEY WOULD USE THE TE THEY COULD MOVE THE BALL UP AND DOWN THE FIELD ALOT BETTER.
    This could be the greatest single post in the history of this board. Quite the opening badrabbit. I try to make this point every year with no avail. I'm giddy with excitement over your point of view.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Gotta have time to look at more than 1 or 2 receivers.

Don't get me wrong...I didn't think the protection was awful against ISU by any means, let's keep it in perspective...this was a Big XII team. As an FCS team, we will probably never have the luxury of sitting back in the pocket and picking a BCS conference opponent apart with 3 or 4 receiver options.

The next two weeks in Brookings and at UNI are going to tell us a lot about this team.
      Another thing everyone needs to take into consideration...you ask anyone that knows anything about FCS football and they will tell you...SDSU has the toughest schedule in the nation and it may not be a contest.
      As fans we should feel very fortunate that we get to see some of the best football being played in our backyard against the best competition FCS has to offer.

Go Jacks!!
      Last edited by propar80; 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM.
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by badrabbit View Post

Nice work you are absolutely correct. In the Iowa State game it seemed that Berry pre determined who he was throwing the ball to way too often instead of taking what the defense was giving him. When the defense recognized that he was starring down his receivers they were able to jump the routes.

Comment

Propar80 you are right that the QB needs more time to look at different receivers, but My personel opinion is that they should make the TE the primary receiver on some off the pass routes. That way he can look at the TE first. The majority of the time when I watch the games the TE is open on the pattern he runs, and most of the time Cochart will have a mismatch on him.
          It is fine to throw to other receivers, but I would like to see the TE be the primary receiver at least 5-6 times a game or more. I know this would make a big difference on the offensive moving the ball. This would open up the running game and the passing game for the wide receivers.

Comment

Catchemall just ran a lap around his office after this thread was posted. I can hear him yelling from a state away. He and I beat this point into the ground last year and our TE at that point happened to be in the Raiders camp this summer.

Anyone watching the UCLA game last night could see what a huge weapon a good TE can be. As much as it pains me to say, LB's aren't usually the most gifted in the areas of pass coverage. They're used to running downhill and smashing into lineman all day. Running backwards is very unnatural to them. That's why the TE is such a great weapon. The UCLA TE made 3 huge catches last night in their go-ahead drive and he was in there because their starting TE was hurt. Find a seam, sit down or run down the seam and have a QB rifle it in there. Most of the time a worst case scenario is the LB gets there in time and bats the ball down. LB's can't catch. It's an oddity when it happens.

By the way, ISU used up 3 season's worth of LB and DL INTs last game.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              As much as it pains me to say, LB's aren't usually the most gifted in the areas of pass coverage. Running backwards is very unnatural to them. That's why the TE is such a great weapon. LB's can't catch. It's an oddity when it happens.
              I can't believe what I just read. Did you have the windows open in your office today MJA? Wisconsin air getting to you?

Catchem & MJA know the value of a good TE. Creates a lot of mismatches for LB's and tough for DB's to bring em down.

Comment

Working...
              X