BCS vs FBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS vs FBS

Not sure if I should put this in a whole thread or not but I have seen this mistake being made a lot.

BCS specifically refers to the Bowl Championship Series and the 5 games that it entails - Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls and the National Championship game. BCS does not refer to any level of play. Some conferences have the BCS conference label. All this indicates is that the conference champion has an automatic BCS bid. All teams playing in the FBS are BCS eligible. Iowa State has not been a BCS team yet. Technically there are no BCS teams yet this year.

FBS is the former DI. The Football Bowl Subdivision is so named because teams play in post season bowls instead of a playoff. The BCS determines the FBS champion.

FCS is the former DI-AA. The Football Championship Subdivision is so named because the teams play in a post season playoff to determine the champion.

Yeah all the acronyms are annoying. DI-AA was not demeaning to me and the PC that the NCAA feels is necessary is going over the top. And sorry for the new thread. This topic has become a pet peeve of mine.
    Last edited by JimmieTuba; 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Re: BCS vs FBS

Colloquially, "BCS" is used to refer to the conferences that get an automatic berth into the BCS bowl games--SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Pac 10, etc.

My understanding is that the NCAA got rid of I-AA because people were going around saying that I-AA schools "weren't Division I." This torqued off the I-AA schools to no end.

Personally, I think the NCAA should just say that Division I schools must offer a minimum of 63 scholarships and a maximum of 85, and that to be eligible for the NCAA championship you can offer no more than say 68 or 70, and be done with it. You could still have the BCS BS, but you'd a) winnow out the marginal D-I football playing schools (hello, Ivy League) and b) eliminate the whole NCAA-sponsored subdivision nonsense.

As a side effect, you'd re-invigorate Division II with many schools that probably shouldn't be in D-I to begin with.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Colloquially, "BCS" is used to refer to the conferences that get an automatic berth into the BCS bowl games--SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Pac 10, etc.

My understanding is that the NCAA got rid of I-AA because people were going around saying that I-AA schools "weren't Division I." This torqued off the I-AA schools to no end.

Personally, I think the NCAA should just say that Division I schools must offer a minimum of 63 scholarships and a maximum of 85, and that to be eligible for the NCAA championship you can offer no more than say 68 or 70, and be done with it. You could still have the BCS BS, but you'd a) winnow out the marginal D-I football playing schools (hello, Ivy League) and b) eliminate the whole NCAA-sponsored subdivision nonsense.

As a side effect, you'd re-invigorate Division II with many schools that probably shouldn't be in D-I to begin with.
      So what you are saying is that in the filbert plan all teams would just be considered division 1 and would be classified into the bowl system or the playoff system based on the number of scholarships they choose to offer?

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
        So what you are saying is that in the filbert plan all teams would just be considered division 1 and would be classified into the bowl system or the playoff system based on the number of scholarships they choose to offer?
        Yup.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
        X