Annual "Guess the Enrollment" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual "Guess the Enrollment" Thread

Last year we were told we would "blow the doors off" and jumped to 11,706. So, given that we were told exactly the same thing this year, I'm going to guess:

Closest to the actual number (usually released in October) wins the admiration of your peers.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Annual "Guess the Enrollment" Thread

How about rep points for the closest?

I'm guessing 11,988

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
      How about rep points for the closest?

I'm guessing 11,988
      Good idea . . . Ten rep points for the poster whose guess is closest to the actual announced headcount enrollment total for Fall 2008.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Given that I know five freshman (well I know their parents) that were dead set on going to an out-of-state school as late as June and ended up at SDSU, I will predict

12, 165

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

My guess is 12101. The expected freshmen class is over 2000 I am told and one of the five largest ever (the five largest are all in the last five years.)

Comment

Just got home from Btown and taking daughter back to school. They got 'em hangin' out the windows this year. I am going to predict 12,255

Comment

I'm guessing 12173. I just finished counting the cars coming into Brookings. Just kidding.

Comment

SDSU's 2008 enrollment - 12,013

USD's 2008 enrollment - 12, 014
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

Love it.

I was going to guess 12,032 but since I actually dropped back to only one class this semester...

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I'll guess 12,183.

Comment

My number 11992

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

Remember, they have to pay this time, unlike sporting events!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                            Remember, they have to pay this time, unlike sporting events!!
                            Good point. When the numbers come out, look at both the headcount and the FTE numbers. The difference between USD's headcount and FTE is always greater than SDSU's. What does that mean? SDSU has a considerably higher percentage of students taking a full-load of classes. USD has a higher percentage of people taking a class or two.

Here's another number for you. SDSU's college of Arts and Sciences, just one college, taught 103,000 credit hours last year. USD (the entire university) taught 167,000. That should give you a good idea of the actual size and impact of each university.

Anyway, back to the guesses...
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Since I live too far from Brookings to get an accurate count of cars entering and leaving town, I had to find another method. The average of the predictions so far is 12083.363636..... I initially intended to drop the undecided repeating decimal student, but then I noticed that none of the other predictions included the number 4 (other than Rowdy's USD prediction of 12014). Since numbers provided by USD are generally fiction and can safely be ignored, I went ahead and rounded up to-

I never took a statistics class so I welcome peer review and evaluation of my statistical methods.
                              Last edited by Walrus; 09-01-2008, 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling
                              An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                              US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X