Jackrabbit football & Slow Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit football & Slow Starts

Just looking at the schedule you guys have coming up. This early part of the schedule for you is looking like a do or die situation for you guys. This last week was not necessarily an expected win but you now have coming up some tough games. If you don't win at least one of these games in the next three weeks you will likely be out of playoff contention. Youngstown state, Western Illinois & UNI will be all tough games. You are lucky that two of the three are at home. None of these games will be a given. It's gotta be hard to know that your playoff season will be decided in the first month of the season. That's what playing in the MVFC will be about every year for the XDSU's. Good luck they will all be tough games.

Re: Jackrabbit football & Slow Starts

I think if we drop one of the first two home games going into UNI it could be a tough road this year.

If we can get through UNI with a 2-2 record, I still feel pretty good about our chances of finishing up 8-4 for the season.

Go State !!
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
      I think if we drop one of the first two home games going into UNI it could be a tough road this year.

If we can get through UNI with a 2-2 record, I still feel pretty good about our chances of finishing up 8-4 for the season.

Go State !!
      I think you're right. We played WIU and YSU tough last year and, arguably, should have won both of those games on the road. We have them at home, and I think we can win both. But it will be very tough.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

From a different thread:

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        Wasn't sure where to put this "comment" so here is as good as any.

A couple weeks ago I was discussing NDSU and SDSU football with an NDSU alum who has not followed the transition, but has kept enough in the know. One statement he made that I couldn't argue with was "is SDSU going to have their typical slow start and finish strong type of season?" I did a mental recollection dating back to 1991 when I started playing and it seems like almost every year SDSU starts slow and finishes pretty well. Can this team break that cycle? I know the schedule is tough and last night didn't show anything to the contrary (I would have taken a good showing and a loss as hope, but that didn't happen). Until SDSU can break the mold and start a season with 3-4 victories rather than a win and 2-3 losses they won't be able to be a play-off contender.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          From a different thread:
          I myself would prefer a slow start and a strong finish to a fast start and slow losing ending. There is nothing worse than sitting at a home game in November with miserable cold weather and losing by 4 or 5 td's. The November game that comes to mind in contrast is our last home game last season, now that was something to watch. Not to embarrass bisonbacker by mention of this game, but he has raised a very important issue that probably is the difference between SDSU and NDSU football.

What I notice and notice all too well is that NDSU fans, coaches and players have high expectations. Until recently, football was the king revenue sport at NDSU. Tim Miles success has changed that somewhat.

Since the 1960's NDSU has had mostly ups and a few downs. The resources have been their at NDSU to make any adjustments in terms of coaches whenever a down in terms of wins occurred. The off campus incidents got a very good coach fired and a coach was less than 500 in wins got fired without off campus incidents. Getting off to a slow start would not be tolerated at NDSU. It best not happen.

At SDSU, we seem to be much more tolerant and whether that is good or bad, I dont know. Personally Coach Stig has done wonders considering the limited resources. Building a football program and keeping it successful takes loyal fans, excellent coaching and recruiting and financial resources. Which is cheaper to finance at the college level? Football or golf? We all know the answer to that one.

Comment

I only brought it up as I have noticed this cycle myself. I was at teammakers last week and Coach Bohl mentioned that our team had we been eligible wouldn't have made it very far in the playoffs last year. This year will be different and the reason just as coach Bohl mentioned is depth. It's noticeably different just after the first game. Even though the game was never in doubt for NDSU this week they were substituting liberally in the first half. I think the Rabbit fans will see this when they come to Fargo this year. I don't know if you have noticed that with your team this year but you will certainly see a team in NDSU that even with some injuries should be able to fill in those spots with quality players who will have had some gametime experience. Last year you guys beat us but we had a beat up team, not to take away anything from your win as you beat us fair and square. This year both XDSU's will have a brutal MVFC schedule and that experience will be the difference maker. The start of the year for you guys arguably is a tougher one then NDSU's first two game but for NDSU it couldn't have happened at a better time. Our QB needed these two games to get his feet under him with some game time experience. I just can't remember a time when the first 4 games for either of our teams meant a trip to the playoffs or not. This year it very well will.

Comment

I've said it before, but I don't think SDSU will get an invite if it finishes with 4 losses, so starting the year 1-3 would make it almost impossible given the strength of the schedule. However, after the first game, I still think we have a very good shot at starting 3-1. Two home games against teams SDSU was even with on the road last year, and then a tough battle at UNI. But as Coach says, the only goal is to be 1-0 this week.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                I've said it before, but I don't think SDSU will get an invite if it finishes with 4 losses, so starting the year 1-3 would make it almost impossible given the strength of the schedule. However, after the first game, I still think we have a very good shot at starting 3-1. Two home games against teams SDSU was even with on the road last year, and then a tough battle at UNI. But as Coach says, the only goal is to be 1-0 this week.
                This upcoming stretch is going to be brutal. Having Youngstown and Western Illinois at home will help of course but those two games will still be very tough. Youngstown is very good and Western Illinois appears to be even better than their 20-25 pre-season ranking. They only lost to Arkansas 28-24! And of course Northern Iowa on the road is as tough of a game as you can possibly have. We can go through this 3 game strech playing good football and still come out 1-3 or even 0-4. It is that tough of a schedule.

In my opinion winning 2 of the next three games would be a great accomplishment and will be completely necessary in order to have a chance to finish the season with 8 wins.

Comment

We were 17-4 at home during transition. Other than the Mud Bowl (TM) loss, we fell to good FCS teams: Georgia Southern, Cal Poly, and UNI. I think we'll do well the next two weeks, so long as we have really big crowds.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
                    I only brought it up as I have noticed this cycle myself. I was at teammakers last week and Coach Bohl mentioned that our team had we been eligible wouldn't have made it very far in the playoffs last year. This year will be different and the reason just as coach Bohl mentioned is depth. It's noticeably different just after the first game. Even though the game was never in doubt for NDSU this week they were substituting liberally in the first half. I think the Rabbit fans will see this when they come to Fargo this year. I don't know if you have noticed that with your team this year but you will certainly see a team in NDSU that even with some injuries should be able to fill in those spots with quality players who will have had some gametime experience. Last year you guys beat us but we had a beat up team, not to take away anything from your win as you beat us fair and square. This year both XDSU's will have a brutal MVFC schedule and that experience will be the difference maker. The start of the year for you guys arguably is a tougher one then NDSU's first two game but for NDSU it couldn't have happened at a better time. Our QB needed these two games to get his feet under him with some game time experience. I just can't remember a time when the first 4 games for either of our teams meant a trip to the playoffs or not. This year it very well will.
                    Give the injury excuse a rest. You don't think the Jacks were also beat up by the last game of the year. JaRon Harris could barely walk and yet played. The reason the Jacks have started out slow is we have played an incredibly difficult schedule. The Bison have scheduled some tough games, but don't forget the Valpraiso, Montana Techs,Carson-Newman, Ark Monticello, Weber State, Concordia St Paul, Austin Peay, Central Conn State games you have scheduled at the beginning of the year that help get your season off to a good start.

Comment

Yep, every football team at every level is beat up in the last game of the season.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Give the injury excuse a rest. You don't think the Jacks were also beat up by the last game of the year. JaRon Harris could barely walk and yet played. The reason the Jacks have started out slow is we have played an incredibly difficult schedule. The Bison have scheduled some tough games, but don't forget the Valpraiso, Montana Techs,Carson-Newman, Ark Monticello, Weber State, Concordia St Paul, Austin Peay, Central Conn State games you have scheduled at the beginning of the year that help get your season off to a good start.
                        First of all I said you beat us fair and square so quit whining like a little girl. My point in this thread was you have been a perrenial slow starting team and you have a tough schedule. I already mentioned we had an easier schedule to start out with so trying to belittle the two teams we open with is ridiculous. Third week we get our shot at a FBS team. Lastly you beat an NDSU team last year that was beat up and still barely won. I mentioned it since our depth is a lot better this year. The only position we have a depth issue at is arguably the most important (QB) and if we get to that point in the season healthy then one of the necessary 8 wins SDSU will need to make the playoffs won't happen in Fargo. So your opening stretch is crucial and personally I don't see you coming out of this 2-2. I hope for your sake I'm wrong and you come into Fargo as close to full strength as possible with a playoff berth on the line then there won't be any excuses when you get handed the loss. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
                          First of all I said you beat us fair and square so quit whining like a little girl. My point in this thread was you have been a perrenial slow starting team and you have a tough schedule. I already mentioned we had an easier schedule to start out with so trying to belittle the two teams we open with is ridiculous. Third week we get our shot at a FBS team. Lastly you beat an NDSU team last year that was beat up and still barely won. I mentioned it since our depth is a lot better this year. The only position we have a depth issue at is arguably the most important (QB) and if we get to that point in the season healthy then one of the necessary 8 wins SDSU will need to make the playoffs won't happen in Fargo. So your opening stretch is crucial and personally I don't see you coming out of this 2-2. I hope for your sake I'm wrong and you come into Fargo as close to full strength as possible with a playoff berth on the line then there won't be any excuses when you get handed the loss. Carry on.
                          Not sure why your are on our site calling our posters whiners after you are the one making excuses. That said, I fully expect to win the next 2 games at home and I take a little offense that you don't expect us to do the same. I'll be in Brookings next Saturday cheering on the Great West Football Conference champions as they play their first game in the MVFC. I'm looking forward to a great game and a victory over a great Youngstown State team.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I've actually been having a good time watching a few of you guys get your undies in a bunch over my comments. Truthfully I do hope you guys do well but my comments about starting slow are still valid. The next 3 weeks for you guys should be really interesting. Our interesting football doesn't start for another 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching the Bison play but I will be the first to admit our OOC schedule this year wasn't the best. Last weeks team did however go 7-4 last year and this weeks team did go into Georgia Southern last year and win a game so it's not exactly like our OOC schedule was put together by the Montana AD. Now go loosen up your shorts so they don't get too bunched up by next weekend. Good luck against Youngstown if your QB plays anything like he did last week it's going to be a long day on Saturday.

Comment

BB,
                              I don't think anyone on the board has questioned your statement that the Jacks have started slow in the past & that doing so again will mean no playoffs. What is being questioned is your statement that you didn't want to take anything away from our win last year. You obviously did want to take something away because you said "you beat us ... but we had a beat up team."

Comment

Working...
                              X