Preston Evans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preston Evans

Former Sioux Falls Roosevelt and NDSU Redshirt Freshman Preston Evans got in a little trouble as reported by the Fargo Forum:

2 freshmen cited for minor in possession

Redshirt freshmen Preston Evans and Jose Mohler were each cited for minor in possession and fined $175 in Fargo Municipal Court earlier this month. Bohl said disciplinary measures with the team were handled internally.

It’s been a tough start to Mohler’s college career. The highly touted quarterback, who was in contention for the No. 2 job, is also sidelined with academic problems stemming from NCAA eligibility standards.

Re: Preston Evans

This is the benefit SDSU gets from being in Brookings. Little things like this slip through the cracks.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Doesn't sound like Preston picked the best guy to hang out with in his first year.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
        Doesn't sound like Preston picked the best guy to hang out with in his first year.
        That's exactly what I was thinking. Just gotta hope your kids make good decisions when they go away to college. Kids certainly make mistakes but it helps if they choose good friends.

Comment

Once you cross age 18, the laws expect you to be very mature and use good judgement in making choices. Much too often it does not happen. Also, Student athletes are living in a glass house. In this incident, it would be police and parents involvement plus the accused if they had not been recruited for Bison Football. Being a student athlete, its news and maybe it should be news. They are special people and as with Riley Reif they dont begin to realize this until something bad happens. Whether coaches could get this minor celebrity part across to them in campus and home visits I dont know. You have to talk to a member of a coaching staff. I dont think they can.

Comment

If you didn't get caught drinking in college you were either:

1. Extremely lucky
            2. So old the drinking age was 18 when you went to college
            3. Lying

He's a good kid and it's a shame such minor crap like this makes the newspaper.

Comment

While I agree for the most part with your 1-3, I'm not sure that I can agree with the characterization of the incident as "minor crap." I have spent a good deal of time working with my children trying to teach them why it is serious. I hope and pray that my son that just started college has taken those lessons to heart. Underage drinking very often leads to risky behavior that can negatively impact lives forever.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                If you didn't get caught drinking in college you were either:

1. Extremely lucky
                2. So old the drinking age was 18 when you went to college
                3. Lying

He's a good kid and it's a shame such minor crap like this makes the newspaper.
                Yeah I guess No.2 applies to me, but had I been I been caught every time I violated other laws while under the influence, including killing innocent on the highways, I would be the best educated inmate in Granite City. The violation is major crap and I am with 1st row on this one. I was a good kid too, back then, but I loved to drink and drink I did uncontrollably until it nearly ruined my life. Its time to get away from this perfectly normal comsuption of alchohl beverages. After all it is a drug, a legal one at that and therein is a problem for some people. Do not come back and say I am anti-tailgating. Its about responsiblity, and if one can not be responsible, they can seek help or they can suffer the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  While I agree for the most part with your 1-3, I'm not sure that I can agree with the characterization of the incident as "minor crap." I have spent a good deal of time working with my children trying to teach them why it is serious. I hope and pray that my son that just started college has taken those lessons to heart. Underage drinking very often leads to risky behavior that can negatively impact lives forever.
                  Well since you can call Preston's dad "Officer Evans", I'm guessing he has probably heard the implecations and probably some more in depth stories than most could even dream.

Comment

You imply that I was criticizing Preston Evans and his family, when in fact I was only critcizing your characterization of the situation. I said nothing in regards to the Evans family, but only spoke of what I have done in my family and how I hoped the future would be for my son, & why I don't think situations like this are "minor crap." I doubt any parent, (especially so if the parent is a law enforcement official), would consider a situation of this type involving their child as "minor crap." If you can't defend YOUR characterization, don't try to make me out as someone criticizing the Evans.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Nidaros! Surely you didn't mean: "Yeah I guess No.2 applies to me, but had I been I been caught every time I violated other laws while under the influence, including killing innocent on the highways, I would be the best educated inmate in Granite City."

May we assume you did not mean to state that you had been involved in "killing innocent on the highways"?

July 1, 1972: The law changed, dropping the age for 3.2 per cent beer drinking from age 19 to age 18. We went to college legal! Two for 50-cent Buckhorn at Hort's.

Comment

JD, Thanks for the date of that law change. Most people think we are nuts when we tell them that when we were 18 the drinking age was 19 and that it changed right after we turned 19..........case solved.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          You imply that I was criticizing Preston Evans and his family, when in fact I was only critcizing your characterization of the situation. I said nothing in regards to the Evans family, but only spoke of what I have done in my family and how I hoped the future would be for my son, & why I don't think situations like this are "minor crap." I doubt any parent, (especially so if the parent is a law enforcement official), would consider a situation of this type involving their child as "minor crap." If you can't defend YOUR characterization, don't try to make me out as someone criticizing the Evans.
                          Jeez, settle down. I will admit I did misinterpret your previous statement.

I will still stand to my freekin' OPINION that I do not think minor possession is that big of deal.

I'm done on this subject, back to actual football talk.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Nidaros! Surely you didn't mean: "Yeah I guess No.2 applies to me, but had I been I been caught every time I violated other laws while under the influence, including killing innocent on the highways, I would be the best educated inmate in Granite City."

May we assume you did not mean to state that you had been involved in "killing innocent on the highways"?

July 1, 1972: The law changed, dropping the age for 3.2 per cent beer drinking from age 19 to age 18. We went to college legal! Two for 50-cent Buckhorn at Hort's.
                            In all sincerity, I was never caught and that's the point. I also drove on highways like to SF/Brookings before I-29 was completed. The next day I often wondered how did I get home. Another thing that allowed me to get away illegal activity was that there was less police and sophiciation when testing for DUI.

I never had a police officer call on me the next day asking about my car being involved in an accident that killed people, nor did I have the accident that involved injury or death, but sooner or later it would have happened and I was lucky to be caught for two DUI within six months in two different states after college and military service. I was fortunately starting to ask myself: Do I drink too much? YEAHHHHHHHHHH. The two officers who pulled me over saved my life and others. Thirty five years later, I hold no resentment to courts, laws or police officers.

Lives have been saved with more montioring of all age groups and their driving and consumption of bresky's. Its major crap as far as I am concerned. I get nervous thinking about these days.

I recall I believe about 1957, a bunch of high school kids that included myself got real nervous about a bill in the SD Legislature that would change the age from 18 to 19. I turned 18 in 1959 and shortly their after the age went from 18 to 19 and as JD cited it was changed back to 18 in 1972. We can fiddle with age limits, but its not going to stop people from drinking and drinking excessively. If a person wants to do meth and is hooked he can get it somehow and so it goes with all drugs, including the legal one alcholol. It took a DUI school to finally get the point across that alchohl is a drug.

What naws at me more than anything is that society is so quick to embrace alcholol beverages as the right thing to do. For some, it may be; others like myself it's poison.

Yeah its major crap as far as I am concerned. If young Mr. Evans learns from his mistake, then its a major improvement for his life, and thats what counts in the end.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X