Maybe (?) The last Cyclone - Jackrabbits Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe (?) The last Cyclone - Jackrabbits Thread

What I learned from this board (as a lurker - of course) in the last week or so:

1) SDSU Fans have a sincere passion for their team and they are football saavy.

2) mplscyclone doesn't represent Iowa State and I do not agree with his arrogance.

3) mplscyclone is probably an Iowa fan sent here to stir up crap and give ISU a bad image. Please keep this in mind.

4) The sky is not falling. ---

What I took away from Thursday's game:

1) The game got out of hand with crazy turnovers and the score indicated that.

2) ISU is still developing under a second year coach and there is good and bad.

3) ISU doesn't have any available space to be arrogant - about anything.

4) SDSU Football, even in a lopsided score game, had many bright spots.

5) SDSU Fans that showed up in Ames to support their team were 100% class - I had several conversations and opportunities for confrontation but they all ended in handshakes, backslaps, and well wishes. ISU has had below-par experiences with Hawkeye, Husker, and Northern Illinois people. SDSU people were friendly, fun, and pleasant to be around.

6) SDSU Fans seem to know a bit more about football then your average non conference opponent. I'm calling out UNLV and Northern Illinois here - If those fanbases knew as much about football that SDSU Fans do - they would be much better programs... or more pleasant to play. ---

So - about SDSU Athletes...

1) That RB Minett is a friggin' stud.

2) Your QB Berry is fine. He got hit an amazing amount of times and popped back up. The INT's weren't all his fault.

3) You are going to be a force in your new league. Every game will be tough and there may be some tough losses - but you will be able to contend annually for a league title and have a playoff system to determine a real national champion.

4) You won't have to go to Boise - and get beat by Boise like we lucky ones in BCS. You'll be part of a real process to determine a real champion.

I just wanted to stuff some sunshine in your pockets, because you *deserve* it. SDSU had a great showing, great fan representation, and a great time in Ames. Of course you wanted the win (and you should expect it every week!) but it didn't turn out that way. But you guys get to go out every week and improve yourselves and represent a program that may make a playoff bid come even closer every week.

New Jackrabbit fan,

Gus ISU '87

Re: Maybe (?) The last Cyclone - Jackrabbits Thread

Originally posted by gusclone View Post
    I just wanted to stuff some sunshine in your pockets, because you *deserve* it. SDSU had a great showing, great fan representation, and a great time in Ames. Of course you wanted the win (and you should expect it every week!) but it didn't turn out that way. But you guys get to go out every week and improve yourselves and represent a program that may make a playoff bid come even closer every week.

New Jackrabbit fan,

Gus ISU '87
    Thanks, Gus. I have to tell you that the group I was with were treated like old friends with the ISU fans. As a matter of fact, I ran into my bestman from my wedding that I have not seen in in over 20 years. I had a blast (except for the score) and cannot say that I ran into anyone who was crude and arrogant. During the tailgating there was a group of ISU students next to us and they made my SDSU daughter and her roommate feel right at home. After the game was over, we took our time and were walking through the parking lot and came on a group of ISU fans letting the traffic slow down. I told them that my throat was sure parched from getting our butts kicked. So, they invited us to sit and have a couple of beers with them and hashed over the game. Jack Trice Stadium is a very nice venue and enjoyed my stay in Ames. If we ever do it again, I will be there. Thanks for the hospitality!!

Comment

Great words gus. I think many of us have also become Iowa State fans. Don't know what the season holds in store for you but from the looks of some of your athletes things are definitely headed in the right direction.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

My Iowa degree won't allow me to be a Cyclones "fan" but I do have two ISU grads as neighbors and we have learned to get along.

I must say that the removal of that silly Tornado-bird from their helmets has made it harder for me to dislike them.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I definately left that game with a greater respect for Iowa State's program, players, and fans. That was one of the most easy going fan bases I have been around. There did not seem to be any arrogance or superiority coming from those associated with Iowa State as you can often get with big time schools like Nebraska... heck even North Dakota State fans often come off that way.

Comment

You don't 'HAVE' to come to Boise, you GET to!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
              Great words gus. I think many of us have also become Iowa State fans. Don't know what the season holds in store for you but from the looks of some of your athletes things are definitely headed in the right direction.

Welcome to being a Cyclone fan! : It can be tough to be an ISU fan, but when the program gets to the next level, it will be worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by mplscyclone View Post
                Welcome to being a Cyclone fan! : It can be tough to be an ISU fan, but when the program gets to the next level, it will be worth it!
                dude, no disrespect intended, but the way things have gone here the past few days if I have done something to have you on my side I probably have to rethink that action.

As far as being an Iowa State fan, I will from now on pay attention to their scores and hope they win their future games because it will make my team look all that much better in the end. It also sounds like your school has a ton of classy fans that just love a great game environment. I can also appreciate that. Have a great rest of the season.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                  dude, no disrespect intended, but the way things have gone here the past few days if I have done something to have you on my side I probably have to rethink that action.

As far as being an Iowa State fan, I will from now on pay attention to their scores and hope they win their future games because it will make my team look all that much better in the end. It also sounds like your school has a ton of classy fans that just love a great game environment. I can also appreciate that. Have a great rest of the season.
                  Well, I don't take this too seriously or personally at all. Obviously some on this site do. It's not about me taking your side. I'm just down with anyone who wants to cheer for the Cyclones and I welcome anyone to join our fanbase. I would guess about 3/4 fans in Iowa are Hawkeye fans, so we are used to getting ganged up on and rooted against. If you want to see a REAL college rivalry, I'd invite any of you to come to Iowa City on September 13th or to Ames next year. It gets pretty intense!

I want to be clear that NO post that I made was meant to disrespect your school or the program. I even gave credit to your QB who hung in there when it would be easy to quit. He got pressured, knocked around, made some mistakes, but kept trying. Can't hold that against him. My original posts were meant to dis a couple of individuals that want to crap all over us because we're "lower tier big XII" or we lost to UNI last year

This team isn't last year's team and this year's team isn't next year's team, so don't make any assumptions based on previous or future years without doing the research. I will do the same with SDSU

Comment

My two cents about the ISU experience is that it was great. I walked around, talked to many folks and was even offered a beer. No bad experiences. I was even given a free ticket from an ISU backer. Good atmosphere, nice tailgating areas around the stadium. Before the game, one person said, "Welcome to Division I." She could have said it in a smart way, I'm not sure. But the fans I dealt with were very classy and very interested in the SDSU team and even basic stuff like where the school was and how many students there were, etc. Thanks, Ames! I'm sure there were a few rotten apples, but I didn't meet them.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

If you want to see a REAL college rivalry, I'd invite any of you to come to Iowa City on September 13th or to Ames next year. It gets pretty intense!
                      Although I grew up very close to Iowa, most of my friends were ISU fans. I did not realize the intensity till this weekend. One of my friends who rode down to Ames is an ISU alum. His in-laws are from eastern and central Iowa and they are split on their support of the two Iowa schools. He told me that a few years ago at Christmas, one of his brother-in-laws wore a cap all day (even at dinner) that read, "I would rather eat s**t than be a Hawkeye". He said there was not a lot of conversation that day...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                        Although I grew up very close to Iowa, most of my friends were ISU fans. I did not realize the intensity till this weekend. One of my friends who rode down to Ames is an ISU alum. His in-laws are from eastern and central Iowa and they are split on their support of the two Iowa schools. He told me that a few years ago at Christmas, one of his brother-in-laws wore a cap all day (even at dinner) that read, "I would rather eat s**t than be a Hawkeye". He said there was not a lot of conversation that day...
                        Yeah it's pretty intense. Personally I don't mind the Iowa alums, faculty, and students rooting for Iowa.

The WORST is the people who didn't go to Iowa (and in most cases didn't go to college at all) and root for Iowa or critisize me for being an ISU fan. They also tend to be horrible fans, cause a lot of problems between the fanbases, etc.

Living in Iowa, even central Iowa, the press is Iowa biased. They cover up Iowa scandals and make smaller Iowa State scandals look bigger. Also, they always predict 10-2 with a Big Ten championship no matter how the team looks (they did this last year and the Hawks went 6-6).

What is SDSU's rival? NDSU? Does it get ugly?

Comment

I had a blast at the game. Got to meet up with a lot of my friends from back in my home area (west central Iowa, Hawkeye fan). It was great seeing them. Had 2 ISU alumni in 'hostile territory' but no problems at all. I thought our SDSU sections were great. Any time I started a cheer the entire area joined in. I know we weren't the loudest fans ISU had ever heard but I was impressed.

I have been to Jack Trice before but I don't remember much from those. This time I was unfortunately unimpressed with the atmosphere and so where two of my 'crew'. I think the couple of down years has been hard on some of the fan base. I would have to say the student section was great. The reason I say I was unimpressed is because of the 2 Hawkeye games at Kinnick I have been to the past 2 years. The place is crazy pregame - like they just scored a touchdown to win crazy. After every touch towndown the place goes crazy up until the next kick off. A lot of that has to do with the cheer that starts right after the extra point until kick off. Jack seemed kind of quiet until the touchdown that put ISU into the 30's. Maybe not everyone was there mentally or something. It might have just been the opponent too. Who knows. I will say there was some good nature ribbing with ISU fans. I even heard a go Coyotes directed at us as we walked to the gates. I hope ISU fans enjoyed the pregame festivities as much as my group did.

I would like to see the teams play again though. I think it could be an interesting once every 2 or 3 year rivalry much like with UNI. I know I was stoked all week to go to the game. Would love to have that trip to make more than once in the coming year. I am sure the atmosphere will be there if they get a winning season or two under Chizik's belt.
                          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                            I had a blast at the game. Got to meet up with a lot of my friends from back in my home area (west central Iowa, Hawkeye fan). It was great seeing them. Had 2 ISU alumni in 'hostile territory' but no problems at all. I thought our SDSU sections were great. Any time I started a cheer the entire area joined in. I know we weren't the loudest fans ISU had ever heard but I was impressed.

I have been to Jack Trice before but I don't remember much from those. This time I was unfortunately unimpressed with the atmosphere and so where two of my 'crew'. I think the couple of down years has been hard on some of the fan base. I would have to say the student section was great. The reason I say I was unimpressed is because of the 2 Hawkeye games at Kinnick I have been to the past 2 years. The place is crazy pregame - like they just scored a touchdown to win crazy. After every touch towndown the place goes crazy up until the next kick off. A lot of that has to do with the cheer that starts right after the extra point until kick off. Jack seemed kind of quiet until the touchdown that put ISU into the 30's. Maybe not everyone was there mentally or something. It might have just been the opponent too. Who knows. I will say there was some good nature ribbing with ISU fans. I even heard a go Coyotes directed at us as we walked to the gates. I hope ISU fans enjoyed the pregame festivities as much as my group did.

I would like to see the teams play again though. I think it could be an interesting once every 2 or 3 year rivalry much like with UNI. I know I was stoked all week to go to the game. Would love to have that trip to make more than once in the coming year. I am sure the atmosphere will be there if they get a winning season or two under Chizik's belt.

Jack Trice doesn't get as loud as Kinnick. Less people and a majority of the older fans sit on their hands. I always sneak into the student section to cheer. The only exception to this is if we play Iowa. Then it gets pretty loud and stays loud for a lot of the game.

Comment

Yeah it's pretty intense. Personally I don't mind the Iowa alums, faculty, and students rooting for Iowa.

The WORST is the people who didn't go to Iowa (and in most cases didn't go to college at all) and root for Iowa or critisize me for being an ISU fan. They also tend to be horrible fans, cause a lot of problems between the fanbases, etc.

Living in Iowa, even central Iowa, the press is Iowa biased. They cover up Iowa scandals and make smaller Iowa State scandals look bigger. Also, they always predict 10-2 with a Big Ten championship no matter how the team looks (they did this last year and the Hawks went 6-6).

What is SDSU's rival? NDSU? Does it get ugly?
                              SDSU's rival is NDSU, now. It's a lot like a couple brothers. You want to beat each other more than you want to beat anybody else. But you want them to win against everybody else. We have a traveling trophy for football that we play each other for every year. There are even contests about what school has the most pounds in pop tabs. The presidents normally make a bet and the loser has to wear stuff from the other school. The 2 schools went DI together and they wouldn't join a conference without the other one.
                              The "old" rival was USD(South Dakota). That was a nasty one. Players would get physical and take cheap shots at each other. Most years, USD fans would throw a dead Jackrabbit on the court at basketball games. I don't think their fans cared about the technical that they would get. Those free throws might have even won a couple games for the Jacks. The last year they played each other some USD fans made a mess of the locker room. A USD reporter sat in the student section during a basketball game and he bragged about a USD fan grabbing a SDSU students breast.
                              SDSU fans that have been around didn't like the USD rivalry. They like hating the other team but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. The younger fans don't know much about the past. They just know that these are the 2 biggest schools in the state. They recruit most of the same players and the players they get played each other in High School.

I thought that SDSU's biggest advantage was at QB. Several times, to me, it looked like Berry zoned in on his primary receiver. I was wondering why SDSU didn't try some deep shots earlier in the game. One of the 1st times I remember them doing that, he got lit up. The problem with that is it was 3rd and 13. You know that ISU was going to blitz. If I remember right, the first play SDSU had the back was wide open in the flat. That play was supposed to go the other way and it did. I know that next week Berry will play much better. I'm still thinking that his TD to INT ratio will be about 1 1/2- 1 by the end of the season.

I could be wrong about both of these but it's just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X