Stupid fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid fuel filter

So I was going to change the fuel filter in my 01 Silverado tonight. I've never changed one, but it looked to be quite simple....relieve the pressure in the lines, loosen the nut on each side of the filter, remove and replace.

All was fine and dandy, but once I got the nuts loose, gas just starts dripping everywhere....I was so close to getting the old filter out and new one in, but there was just to much gas dripping out of the lines....and down my arm...into my armpit....and splashing on my face.

Very annoyed I was, as I'm going to have to pay to have a mechanic change the stupid thing for me....there was just to much gas flowing everywhere. At least it shouldn't be very expensive, as it only takes about 10 minutes to change the dumb thing.

And now I smell of gasoline. Awesome.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: Stupid fuel filter

Aaaaw, c'mon. Get a pal to help. Finish the job yourself. It's the American way.

Where there's a will, there's a way

You can do it!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably give it another shot tonight.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

So how did the fuel filter adventure turn out?
        "You trusted us"

Comment

Don't know why, but this is starting to remind me of another unfortunate man's story... [linky]*

Like this but the other way around...

*topic may be marginally nsfw/sfw
          **sometimes it takes an entire forum to solve one little problem

Comment

Any day that ends with this humble little board being compared in any way to the glorious Fark.com is a Good Day . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh man, UTH, that link was hilarious.

I did end up getting the filter changed the following night. Turns out if your not a pansy about it and actually pull the gas line out of each end of the filter with a little authority, they will bend without breaking.

Time spent - 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem I was hoping it would fix. The pickup starts quite hard when it has been sitting for awhile.....like there isn't enough fuel pressure...so, I suppose I'll have to see if I can clean up the throttle body and the idle air contol, and pray it's not a fuel pump issue. (The pump is working, you can hear it when you turn the key.)

Comment

I got the problem with the pickup fixed.

I had a bad fuel pressure regulator. It was full of gas. In other words, it was constantly flooded.

Runs like a top now!

Comment

LMAO reading that link, UTH!

It doesn't seem like vehicles these days have much on 'em you can repair yourself anymore. Too many electronic/computer systems, or the otherwise easy to repair stuff is tucked away in an impossible to get to location. I recently had the fuel pump and filter replaced on my '96 Grand Prix. The bill was well into three-figures because the pump is inside the fuel tank! Anyway, glad to hear you got the problem fixed Rowdy, and hopefully saved a few $$$ too!
                  "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalHouse83 View Post
                    LMAO reading that link, UTH!

It doesn't seem like vehicles these days have much on 'em you can repair yourself anymore. Too many electronic/computer systems, or the otherwise easy to repair stuff is tucked away in an impossible to get to location. I recently had the fuel pump and filter replaced on my '96 Grand Prix. The bill was well into three-figures because the pump is inside the fuel tank! Anyway, glad to hear you got the problem fixed Rowdy, and hopefully saved a few $$$ too!
                    That's the damn truth. I'm personally hoping that the maintenance-by-user-friendly vehicles make a comeback. Likely a pipedream, but a guy can still hope.

Replaced the starter on my old Jimmy a few years ago. It should have been a quick in-and-out job, but it ended up taking me all afternoon to figure out how to wrestle the new one back into place.

Comment

Okay, which one of you guys is Stu Whitney?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Okay, which one of you guys is Stu Whitney?
                        That depends - Is there any money in it for me?

Comment

Well, I did end up taking it to the shop (Meester's) and they were the ones to put a new regulator in, but I probably could have done it myself.

The actual fix typically isn't the problem, it's the diagnosis. I would've spent the better part of two weeks changing out this part and that part and spending way more than I needed to.

It only cost 150 bucks, 105 for the part and 45 for labor. And I'm more than happy to give Meester's some business...always been real good to me. For anyone in Brookings who needs some work done, give Meester's a call, I'll vouch for them any day.

Comment

Working...
                          X