Matt Zimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Zimmer

Next to TV, Matt Zimmer is one of my favorite bloggers at the Argus Leader... This should be mandatory reading for anyone who is one of those annoying "Soccer Moms" or "Little League Dads".

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Matt Zimmer

I have to agree. His blog on Tim Tebow today made me laugh good and hard at work this morning. Zimm's blog is the second spot I visit at the Argus every day.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Matt Zimmer just became my hero!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Alas, the wonderful blog posting that Mr. Zimmer had written is no longer with us. If you click on the link, it's now a blank page.

I don't know what happened...but fortunately I copied and pasted the entire thing. If you guys and gals want, I'll repost it here... with full credit going to Matt, of course!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I just clicked the link and it showed up...but don't know for how much longer. 'This community member's page is currently being reviewed by the editors' it says.

Anyway, about the article, I completely agree with Zimmer. Great post.

I would have hated to be the one to answer all the pissed off phone calls that the Argus probably received from the parents he was speaking of in the article.

Comment

Just went to his blog page and there is a note saying this member's blog page is being reviewed by the editors and it is all blanked out. Apparently something Zimm wrote got somebody's attention. Hopefully, Matt isn't being punished for printing the truth.

I say post his column Jackrabbit1. It's worth it.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just checked the website, now they have removed all of his blogs from the blog page. Doesn't look good.
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Now you've just got to post the article. Must have been something really "good" in there to set off a soccer mom somewhere.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I was unable to access any of Matt's blogs through the Argus website but it appears to still be available by clicking the link above. Read quickly.

Comment

It's still there on the direct link.

Having read it . . .

Yeah, that'll piss some people off, criticizing "helicopter parents" (who are always hovering over their kids) like that. Deliriously politically incorrect and absolutely true--talk about "speaking truth to power." Heh!

Good work Matt Zimmer!

Unfortunately, it reads a bit like an opus (a long, usually rather angry or aggrieved post on a web site just before the writer storms off into the good night, never to be seen again--at least on that site). I hope that's not the case here.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well, since some of you can read it and some of you can't.... here's the article in its entirety. Something this good can't be silenced by the "Arduous!"

And if anyone knows how to put those little blockquote thingies in, that'd be great too.

"The Kids are Alright"
                      Written by Matt Zimmer
                      Posted July 22, 2008
                      Argusleader.com

Midway through my high school life, school officials at Washington High (and maybe all the other high schools, too, I’m not sure) decided they were going to start issuing letters for academics.

You know, letters, like the fuzzy things you get for playing sports that you sew on your letter jacket.

To quote Buzz Bissinger, it pi$$ed the s**t out of me.

The whole point of having them was to give athletes something unique for their troubles. Something that was theirs and theirs alone. It was recognition. A reward.

But it was, apparently, not fair.

A bunch of dorks (or more likely, a bunch of dorks’ parents) felt left out, so they had to cheapen a tradition as old as high school sports themselves.
                      Last edited by filbert; 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM. Reason: "fair use" as much as I'd like to post a full copy of the thing here . . .
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Good article Zimmer...even if it got pulled, that's just the $$$ talking! Hopefully it will live forever here at SDSUfans.com!

Thanks for posting it jackrabit1!!

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

If the Argus actually does pull the article, I hereby officially invite Zimmer submit it directly to me and I'll post it on the SDSUFans.com blog site as well as here. (assuming, of course, he has author's rights to do so . . . if the Argus however owns him mind, body, soul, and literary output, I guess he's screwed.)

Hit the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I thought the article raised some excellent points while attempting to be humorous and in some ways it succeeded at that. I can see where it may upset many individuals and I like that to. If you don't like what a blogger has to say express that to the blogger.

The number of organized leagues available today has greatly reduced the enjoyment and benefit of sports/athletics for children and parents. I participated in and coached youth basketball and baseball until heading off for medical school. Things have really changed since then.

Without getting long-winded let me just say that I agree with a lot of what Matt has written and think it is a shame if the Argus does not return it to the blog area. Please keep it posted here.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Unfortunately, it reads a bit like an opus (a long, usually rather angry or aggrieved post on a web site just before the writer storms off into the good night, never to be seen again--at least on that site). I hope that's not the case here.
                              I am not sure that this rant was his opus (I just thougth he was a Berke Breathed character) He also did a scathing job of calling out Tim Tebow and phony christians yesterday. I can't remember if it was in his parents column or his weekly wrap up where he used the phrase God.Dammit. as two sentences to get around acceptable language, I guess)

My guess, if there is trouble, it was a confluence of events that led to this. Not any one in particular.
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X