Article on Layne Somsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Layne Somsen

Nice article about Layne in the Yankton paper today. His dad Dan played FB at SDSU. Great parents and a great kid. Not sure if you'll be able to access the article or not but here is the link. I included just a few paragraphs from a rather large article.

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2008...9046797472.txt

Yankton’s Own Mound Menace

Yankton’s Somsen Awes With Pitching Prowess

BY JEREMY HOECK
    jeremy.hoeck@yankton.net
    Published: Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:22 AM CDT

He’ll smile, wave and give you a slight head-nod before the game. Then he’ll come in almost a completely different person, with a menancing stare, dead-set on killing your dream for a base hit..............

‘High Priority Recruit’

With former South Dakota State head baseball coach Reggie Christiansen offering Somsen the chance to come to Brookings to play for the Division I Jackrabbits, Somsen says he had an easy decision.

“It seemed like they really wanted me, and I really wanted to go there, so it was a great fit,” Somsen said.

In doing so, Somsen becomes yet another member of his family to attend school at SDSU. His father, Dan, is an alumnus, as are four of Dan’s five brothers.

“He (Layne) was getting a lot of calls and offers to visit different campuses, but he really liked Reggie and the school,” said his mother Barb Somsen, who is active in the Yankton Baseball Association.

“We totally left the decision up to him. Thankfully, he gets to stay close to home,” she added.

Somsen will be one of nine South Dakota natives on SDSU’s roster for next season. And interim head coach Ritchie Price is as high on Somsen as he is on the Jackrabbits.

“He was definitely a high priority recruit; we made a strong push for him,” Price said. “We think he has crazy potential at the Division I level. “We just excited to get him up here.”

Price said he saw Somsen pitch against Eden Prairie in the Gopher Classic and provided the following scouting report: “The thing I noticed right away was that appeared so much more mature. He kept his composure and just overpowered a really good club.”

In all likelihood, Somsen stood on the mound, stared down college-bound hitters, exploded toward the plate and later returned to smiling.

Now, he says, he’ll be able to explode onto the Division I scene.

“I always knew I wanted to be a Division I athlete,” Somsen said. “It didnt really matter what sport, because it’s got that different sound to it; Division I.

“It was always a dream of mine, and it came true.”
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Article on Layne Somsen

And we join Coach Price in enthusiastically echoing Layne's joining the Jackrabbit family (of which he was already a part!). It will be fun to watch his career at SDSU.

Comment

Re: Article on Layne Somsen

Apparently Layne is a nephew of Lowell Somsen, who I know. Lowell is a great guy with a sense of humor, so we got the right guy especially if he is a very good baseball player.

Comment

Working...
      X