From Around Sturgis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Around Sturgis?

Anyone on this board from or live near Sturgis? I won some tickets to go to Kenny Chesney, so my sister and I were going to trek out. Unfortunately to camp is over $200 per person!!!! That is if you can find an open camp site. Anyone from out there have any better ideas or insight for me? We only want to come out on Wed for the concert - and stay that night and then come back Thursday morning/afternoon. Any help would be appreciate for this former Jackrabbit!!!

Re: From Around Sturgis?

The annual Sturgis Rally and Races is a fun time. If you're coming I would advise you to have plenty of two things: 1) Money, and 2) Time. Money because everything costs more. You'll probably pay about as much for a domestic beer as you paid for a twelve pack in college. Time, because this might be the worst traffic congestion you have ever seen.

The big concerts are held at locations east of Sturgis using Highway 34. Essentially all of the traffic generated by people attending these concerts goes through Sturgis on the two eastbound lanes of Highway 34 which is known as Lazelle Street in town. There is cross traffic and pedestrian traffic. This is accomplished by the use of several four-way stops as the road passed through the city. The worst traffic occurs between the time that the people in Rapid City get off of work and the time the concerts start. Yes, it can take well over an hour to pass through Sturgis. The best way to beat the traffic is to plan to go early and take in the early evening concerts.

As far as camping, the further you are from Sturgis, the cheaper you should be able to find a spot. There are several campgrounds between Sturgis and Rapid City. Some lack for good facilities. Porta-potties happen. I am guessing that you plan to tent instead of bringing a big RV. If so, you will have a lot of choices. Remember, compared to the time you will probably spend in traffic snarls in Sturgis, the time to drive that extra 5 to 15 miles is really not important. If you need to camp east of Sturgis you can probably find some deals too if you are willing and able to stay someplace other than the campgrounds which host the concerts. A lot of the bigger and more popular places sell campsites for the entire event rather than by the night. Many of the others charge by the night and are less than the price stated above. I don't have specific recommendations but I typed Sturgis Rally Camping into Google and got a lot of hits that were pertinent to the question.

Of course, staying someplace other than the campground hosting the concert will require you to drive. There will be more cops than at the annual Dunkin Donuts convention. The State Highway Patrol, the County Sheriff's Department, and the City Police are all out in full force and are very assertive in order to keep the roads safe. So, don't drink and drive! If you want to get in a little deeper than traffic offenses you can also make friends with a number of people from the FBI and ATF.

Sturgis will welcome you with open arms. Try to find the time to arrive early and stay late. Post any other questions that you have. There are at least a couple of us in Stugis who frequent this forum and a lot of others who attend our little get together each year.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Love the Sturgis rally...but it sure helps to know people who have free couches.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack32 View Post
        Anyone on this board from or live near Sturgis? I won some tickets to go to Kenny Chesney, so my sister and I were going to trek out. Unfortunately to camp is over $200 per person!!!! That is if you can find an open camp site. Anyone from out there have any better ideas or insight for me? We only want to come out on Wed for the concert - and stay that night and then come back Thursday morning/afternoon. Any help would be appreciate for this former Jackrabbit!!!

Hey J32, Did you make it to the concert. I heard that KC played until about 1 am. I hope that you found suitable accomodations and had a good time while visiting our part of the state.
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Hey there- yes I sure did see the concert!!!!! It was AWESOME! Kenny played for almost 4 hours- said he was going to "play everything he knows how to play because he has never been to Sturgis"!!!!!! I appreciate all of your help- we found a great spot about 5 miles out of sturgis for 20 bucks a night! Spent a lot of time riding around the area - and even made it out to Wyoming! It was a great end to my summer before I head overseas this season. Again, thanks for the info!! Go jacks!

Comment

Working...
          X